• 6 months later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here play virtual regatta?

Looks interesting think I may join up.

How long have you been on it and what is your "handle" (that goes back 45yrs)?

Looks interesting think I may join up.

How long have you been on it and what is your "handle" (that goes back 45yrs)?

about a month now - shebeen

a bunch of us sailing buddies play each week and talk *** on a google meet session, it's good fun - instead of sweating on zwift you can have a glass of vino on the side

Quite hard actually (or i just never played tv games much)

• 3 months later...

with pro cycling over for now, there's some awesome sailing taking it's place for me.

Vendee Globe kicked off last week

this is EPIC.

33 boats, most of them french. 

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

coverage is a little spares, but 

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexThomsonRacing is pretty good daily updates (he's leading after taking a bold move through a highpressure system)

otherwise some VERY good and detailed daily analysis by conrad

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDeF0psE1Ei6Oildpi9cskQ

Then, if you have not had enough of Brailsford's boys rolling across the alps, then go for Ainslee's army down under. (Ineos not short of cash to splash)

racing kicks off december, it is going to be undedflkf04ut lievable

• 3 weeks later...

went to go visit the 3 boats yesterday...was pretty rad.

quite a bit of shore crew milling around, don't know how much they really have to fix on the BEAST, Arkea the broken foil is easy to see and Innovation.couer is coming out the water today at the old shosholoza base

post-1830-0-21885700-1607506465_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

There is a recent school leaver in my family that are looking to do the RYA yacht-master offshore course. I might contribute to it. Questions:

Any honest comments on that as career during Covid 19? Are people actually getting jobs at this stage. I'm unsure how I feel about it - he is bright enough to do any university course he wants, but this is what he wants to do... (I'm also somewhat jealous about it at the same time. It look awesome)

• 4 weeks later...

There is a recent school leaver in my family that are looking to do the RYA yacht-master offshore course. I might contribute to it. Questions:

Any honest comments on that as career during Covid 19? Are people actually getting jobs at this stage. I'm unsure how I feel about it - he is bright enough to do any university course he wants, but this is what he wants to do... (I'm also somewhat jealous about it at the same time. It look awesome)

I'm not sure about the short/medium term travel issues, BUT i think Covid is going to result in a demand for isolated activities in the future. RCYC have had a quite a surge in new boat owners joining.

i sure as hell wouldn't want to go to varsity this year

3 more to go and they face ETNZ.

Hope Ben's got some fight left in him because a 7-0 drubbing isn't going to be good for their future challenge viability

been some proper handbags flying around with big egos and noses out of joint., but they finally back on the water tomorrow. 5am our time.

i get reminded how calm this bikehub actually is. check the thread titles on the sailing forum (it's ##$#& wild there!)

post-1830-0-17540600-1613731441_thumb.jpeg

3 more to go and they face ETNZ.

Hope Ben's got some fight left in him because a 7-0 drubbing isn't going to be good for their future challenge viability

Hope they get a better start tomorrow.  The last four have been terrible, and then they've just been blocked in all race, or left for dead.  

Luna Rossa seem to be a lot better in the lighter winds too.  It's also less exciting to watch with lighter winds, except for the speed.  34kts in 8kts of breeze is outstanding!  

• 4 weeks later...

6-3 to the defender.

what a stonking good race that was. LRPP leads the start, leg 1, 2, 3,4 and concedes the lead before Gate 5. EtNZ hits the push to overtake and disappears up the windward leg to win by 30sec....

can't make this kind of racing up in a tabloid. Smoking barnacles I hope the AC75's are here to stay

• 6 months later...