Your Enduro ride

Robodog

Very nice! I was close to using those rims on a build a while back but the distributors were out so I ended up using Spanks. How are they?

Really nice! Good width and feel good!

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How was it when it was 26??

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Ran it with 150mm and 160mm fork at 26, bb was just too low, even with 165mm cranks. At 650b now it just feels right.

Ran it with 150mm and 160mm fork at 26, bb was just too low, even with 165mm cranks. At 650b now it just feels right.

So not rideable then? Or rather rideable but dangerous?

So not rideable then? Or rather rideable but dangerous?

Definitely rideable, you just have to be mindful of your cranks on Rocky and rough terrain. Rode it like that for 3 weeks no other issues!

The BB drop difference is like 1cm, so doesn't sound much, but you notice here and there. Had no issue jumping or doing like 5ft drops.

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

Is that a certain Mr Von Tutcheck's old sled?  Very naas.

Got this one as old stock at very decent price.

Got this one as old stock at very decent price.

From?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Need some advice from the guru's, I'm 175cm tall (80cm inseam) and currently ride a 2006 Reign with a 60mm stem and 730mm bars, but I feel as though the bike (reach) is too short. I thinking of getting a large 2011/12 Trance (26er) frame with a short 50mm or less stem, would this potentially solve my problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

My other nightmare is this bike...https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/264703-2014-lapierre-zesty-429-large/ I really love this bike, would it be too big for me?

Hey guys,

Need some advice from the guru's, I'm 175cm tall (80cm inseam) and currently ride a 2006 Reign with a 60mm stem and 730mm bars, but I feel as though the bike (reach) is too short. I thinking of getting a large 2011/12 Trance (26er) frame with a short 50mm or less stem, would this potentially solve my problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

My other nightmare is this bike...https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/264703-2014-lapierre-zesty-429-large/ I really love this bike, would it be too big for me?

I think you are right. Older bikes and Giants in particular had very short reach numbers. I had a 2013 reign size large and it was more like a small medium in today's terms. Going to a proper XL (I'm 188cm) was a game changer for me from a comfort, handling and climbing ability point of view.

I think that your solution will work fine, but that Zesty is probably a far better idea. It is a large but if you take that terribly long stem off it it will probably fit. I would not worry about the reach but rather the seat tube length. If the seat tube is too long you wont be able to run a dropper post, or be restricted to 100mm drop, for instance.

Bar that concern, go bigger,

Hi everyone, newbie here.

Here's my fleet, 

2016 Merida One-Twenty XT Edition, I know, more trail than enduro, but this bike often surprises me.

Stock except for XTR M9020 brakes, Renthal bar & stem, 34t elliptical chain ring and 11~46 Sunrace cassette, KS Lev dropper.

post-117165-0-26941000-1503470201_thumb.jpg

2016 Giant Reign Advanced 0. Completely stock except for Ergon grips and some frame guards. I bring this bike out on special occasions only due to the cost.

post-117165-0-98362100-1503470936_thumb.jpg

2016 Taokas Lycaon. I built this bike from the frame up and it's a beast. My go to bike at the moment, due to the WT tires it's a slug uphill, but has enough gear to grind it out with massive traction.

Di2 M8050 // 170mm RS Lyric // Ibis 742 carbon rims 35mm internal width // Magura Trail Carbon brakes // Renthal Fatbar Carbon and Renthal stem // 30t Fifty-Fifty NW chainring // 11~46 Sunrace cassete // Fox Transfer

post-117165-0-49150500-1503471600_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

J.J.

Edited by B20PV

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow Gravity seekers,

Need advice again.....looking at getting a "new" bike or frame for general trail riding and enduro events... I'm 175cm tall (80cm inseam) and currently ride a 2006 Reign with a 60mm stem and 730mm bars, but I feel as though the bike (reach) is too short.  

can't make up my mind which of the following bikes would be best, some advice would be appreciated....

1. 2010 Spez Enduro, complete bike, size L @ R7.5k

2. 2014 Lapierre Zesty 429, complete bike, size L @ R16k

3. 2012 Spez Stumpy frame, size M @ R8.5k

4. 2015 Banshee Spitfire V2 frame, size M @ R15k

Please help me make up my mind....which would your choose be and why? 

Thanks.

Hi fellow Gravity seekers,

Need advice again.....looking at getting a "new" bike or frame for general trail riding and enduro events... I'm 175cm tall (80cm inseam) and currently ride a 2006 Reign with a 60mm stem and 730mm bars, but I feel as though the bike (reach) is too short.

I can't make up my mind which of the following bikes would be best, some advice would be appreciated....

1. 2010 Spez Enduro, complete bike, size L @ R7.5k

2. 2014 Lapierre Zesty 429, complete bike, size L @ R16k

3. 2012 Spez Stumpy frame, size M @ R8.5k

4. 2015 Banshee Spitfire V2 frame, size M @ R15k

Please help me make up my mind....which would your choose be and why?

Thanks.

Spitfire!!!!!!

Honestly it's the best mid travel bike I've ridden. It's nippy, encourages stupidity and is very confidence inspiring.

And yeah, the older giants had very short reach measurements. My large reign x had less reach than a small current gen reign.

2nd would be the lapierre.

The stumpy and Enduro I wouldn't consider purely due to them being sixers, and the new tech in tires and wheels and forks caters solely towards 659 & 9er.

Spitty is also your size.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Spitfire!!!!!!

Honestly it's the best mid travel bike I've ridden. It's nippy, encourages stupidity and is very confidence inspiring.

And yeah, the older giants had very short reach measurements. My large reign x had less reach than a small current gen reign.

2nd would be the lapierre.

The stumpy and Enduro I wouldn't consider purely due to them being sixers, and the new tech in tires and wheels and forks caters solely towards 659 & 9er.

Spitty is also your size.

Thanks Myles appreciate you advice, btw the Stumpy frame is a 29er.

Edited by Chip

In that case it becomes a bit trickier. But I stand by my initial assertion. Spitty ftw. As good as the stumpy is, I don't like being forced into proprietary standards. Especially with the shock. Means your aftermarket options are very limited.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Dude that Spitty for the CC shock out back will wipe the floor with the rest.

I even rode mine on Wines2Whales....and going downhills....yoh!

If you wanna test ride one first go around to Dirt Merchant in your area...They bring em in :)