torque wrench

rock

Not too sure whther I should start a new thread regarding my issue, but here goes:

I bought a BBB torque wrench about a year & a half ago & recently it refuses to click back in & out when the force is applied & removed from the wrench.

Anyone else had this issue with theirs?

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving an old thread. Any more recent suggestions?

This seems reasonably priced, but I don't just want to buy the cheapest option. https://bike-addict.co.za/products/axis-torque-wrench-set

Or maybe this one?

https://www.dragons.co.za/giant/gear/to023h-600000023-giant-torque-wrench-silver-221mm

I got this one from Dominic at Summit. I see he's got one left. Good kit and always excellent service from Summit.

http://summitbikes.co.za/index.php?id_product=761&controller=product

Reviving an old thread. Any more recent suggestions?

This seems reasonably priced, but I don't just want to buy the cheapest option. https://bike-addict.co.za/products/axis-torque-wrench-set

Or maybe this one?

https://www.dragons.co.za/giant/gear/to023h-600000023-giant-torque-wrench-silver-221mm

I bought the Axis one from Bike Addict.  It work 100%, very nice set, nothing wrong with the quality.  It comes with a calibration certificate which indicate that the accuracy is pretty good.  Just hope & believe I can trust it 100% ...

4 Nm (4.11, 4.14, 4.12)

10 Nm (10.3, 10.31, 10.28)

12 Nm (12.39, 12.38, 12.34)

Check that it can rather go to 24 Nm (Axis one can), 14 Nm is very limiting.

Edited by Theog

I'm sure if you sent both to A place to be calibrated they'd call back with some unexpected news

I work with test equipment. Even if that wrench is out of cal, 20% would be 6Nm if the torque is meant to be 5Nm. Carbon can take a lot more, OEM recommend a torque setting to avoid damaging equipment. I doubt 5Nm will end up at 20Nm. The most important part of a torque wrench is to make sure all bolt are tightened evenly. Also, I doubt a bicycle shop sends there torque wrench for a annual calibration.

I work with test equipment. Even if that wrench is out of cal, 20% would be 6Nm if the torque is meant to be 5Nm. Carbon can take a lot more, OEM recommend a torque setting to avoid damaging equipment. I doubt 5Nm will end up at 20Nm. The most important part of a torque wrench is to make sure all bolt are tightened evenly. Also, I doubt a bicycle shop sends there torque wrench for a annual calibration.

Also have some experience with test equipment, the worst I got from the above calibration values is 3.5% error, in my book that is pretty damn good.

So I agree with you 200%.

Add to this that few people actually know how to use a torque wrench, nor how to store it between projects ....

Set to the required torques setting ..... GENTLY tighten until you hear the click - STOP !!!!  I have seen people turn right past that click, and continue turning until the bolt snapped .... totally oblivious of what the "click" was for ....

When done with your project, UNDO the tension on the wrench setting ....

Also have some experience with test equipment, the worst I got from the above calibration values is 3.5% error, in my book that is pretty damn good.

So I agree with you 200%.

Edited by NISI

Take a park stand, there’s park tool extremely expensive vs R300 cheapie, if used and stored correctly, it will last a lifetime. I’ve had mine for nearly four your, built multiple bikes, use it all the time and it still looks brand new. If you develop a passion for something, you’ll automatically upgrade without informing the government. Attached is my first torque and my current wrench. Honestly, I’ve never had an issue with the first 1, it’s all about being ballpark.

post-59224-0-58085100-1607854706_thumb.jpeg

post-59224-0-84893300-1607854795_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Edereese

When I didn't have one, it didn't bother me, just tightened on gut feel.

Now that I got one, cant understand why it didn't bother me before, it simply remove the guess work and do so consistently.

The Axis one for R960 is really good value for money.

Edited by Theog