IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

I am in the 3rd week of a 4 week high intensity/high mileage training period and this morning on my long run I could feel my legs were sore and taking strain. I somehow need to pick myself up for a lunch time sprint swim workout.

What do guys use/do for recovery between workouts?

Why do you have another session so quickly after a "long run"? Even for a HIT period that seems a bit quick.

For myself I found a recovery shake indispensable directly after a substantial session. I used to use FiT Recovery, but for the past four months or so take 500ml milk, two raw eggs, 15g sugar and 5g L-Glutamine powder. Works just as well and costs 50% of the FiT.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you have another session so quickly after a "long run"? Even for a HIT period that seems a bit quick.

For myself I found a recovery shake indispensable directly after a substantial session. I used to use FiT Recovery, but for the past four months or so take 500ml milk, two raw eggs, 15g sugar and 5g L-Glutamine powder. Works just as well and costs 50% of the FiT.

how do you determine the amount of L-Glutamine powder? I have also seen that recovery is key and all the stuff have L-Glutamine in

how do you determine the amount of L-Glutamine powder? I have also seen that recovery is key and all the stuff have L-Glutamine in

Generally accepted amount is 5g-10g a day.

If you're doing 2 a days then 5g in the morning and 5g in the evening.

Generally accepted amount is 5g-10g a day.

If you're doing 2 a days then 5g in the morning and 5g in the evening.

thanks for the advice.will give it a tri.

Just realised I wrote the amounts in grams - I generally just use a teaspoon so 5ml for me twice a day.

I am in the 3rd week of a 4 week high intensity/high mileage training period and this morning on my long run I could feel my legs were sore and taking strain. I somehow need to pick myself up for a lunch time sprint swim workout.

Between any long run (2+ hours) or bike (5+ hours) I always give myself 24 hours. Between normal sessions I try to give myself 12 hours.

I find that anything less recovery time than that starts being counter productive. But, you know, different folks and so on. I also try and make sure my rest day comes after my long run so that my body has time to recover.

I drink chocolate milk immediately after a session as well as a basic smoothie using bananas, nuts, greek yoghurt, eggs, honey and whatever other fruit I can find.

Hammer recoverite and the Self massage and foam rolling. I don't have the bucks to go for a massage every week, but try to get a trained professional to hurt me at least once a month

Whiskey and a couple of bongs!!! :whistling:

Foam roller and rolling stick, chocolate milk, GU recovery, USN epic pro and of course the thing I neglect most ... good sleep

Between any long run (2+ hours) or bike (5+ hours) I always give myself 24 hours. Between normal sessions I try to give myself 12 hours.

I find that anything less recovery time than that starts being counter productive. But, you know, different folks and so on. I also try and make sure my rest day comes after my long run so that my body has time to recover.

I drink chocolate milk immediately after a session as well as a basic smoothie using bananas, nuts, greek yoghurt, eggs, honey and whatever other fruit I can find.

I also try not to do another workout on the day of a long run/bike, but the rest of the week is going to be busy at work and I am probably not going to get time for lunch time swims. So I had to rearrange my training schedule for this week.

I only use the 32GI recovery drink after hard sessions. But I am thinking that I probably need to increase my in-take to after every session.

Whiskey and a couple of bongs!!! :whistling:

Foam roller and rolling stick, chocolate milk, GU recovery, USN epic pro and of course the thing I neglect most ... good sleep

I think this is one of my other challenges, too little quality sleep. With a 2 year old in the house and a wife also training for 70.3, I try to train when they are sleeping, which means very early mornings.

Hammer recoverite and the Self massage and foam rolling. I don't have the bucks to go for a massage every week, but try to get a trained professional to hurt me at least once a month

Yup I have been avoiding my foam roller - but I need to re-aquaint myself. Sore but effective on tired tight legs.

I think this is one of my other challenges, too little quality sleep. With a 2 year old in the house and a wife also training for 70.3, I try to train when they are sleeping, which means very early mornings.

My job is quite demanding and my days are normally 7h30 to 5h30/6pm. Training after work - getting home at 8ish, cooking, eating and its already 10 and you havent even spend time with your partner. Bed at 11/12, up at 6. Repeat. Im think of asked my boss if I can have an extended lunch and come in an half an hour earlier so I can swim over lunch

I know exactly what you're going through: I've got 2 little ones that require a lot of attention. I set up a treadmill and a spinning bike at home for those quick 30-40 minute sessions.

It means I'm technically "at home" when I do a quick session. It also removes a lot of the time you need to get ready for a bike/run session because you can just jump on and go.

I've also signed up for Club-V at Virgin Active which means I can do a session at gym and take the kids with. Afterwards I take them for a swim in the kiddies pool, so they love going as well.

Is there any specific chocolate milk that is meant to be good or just any chocolate milk? I don't do anything for recovery post training at the moment, but with training 5 to 6 days a week at the moment I'm feeling like I need to start making an effort so interesting to read this discussion... Smoothies sound good too, but not sold on the raw egg part irrespective of how good they might be!

Aiming for 5.45 in Jan so not a very serious tri-athlete, but probably suffer even more after training because of that!

I know exactly what you're going through: I've got 2 little ones that require a lot of attention. I set up a treadmill and a spinning bike at home for those quick 30-40 minute sessions.

It means I'm technically "at home" when I do a quick session. It also removes a lot of the time you need to get ready for a bike/run session because you can just jump on and go.

I've also signed up for Club-V at Virgin Active which means I can do a session at gym and take the kids with. Afterwards I take them for a swim in the kiddies pool, so they love going as well.

Yeah its tough to balance everything. It have taken a decision not to train in the evening as well. That is why I train early mornings and swim during lunch (unfortunately I only have time for a max of 45 min sessions, but that is how it is). The evenings I spend with the family. So I try to be in bed by 10pm and up at 4-4:30 again.

Edit: sorry guys, a bit of topic.

Edited by ADe

Is there any specific chocolate milk that is meant to be good or just any chocolate milk? I don't do anything for recovery post training at the moment, but with training 5 to 6 days a week at the moment I'm feeling like I need to start making an effort so interesting to read this discussion... Smoothies sound good too, but not sold on the raw egg part irrespective of how good they might be!

Aiming for 5.45 in Jan so not a very serious tri-athlete, but probably suffer even more after training because of that!

The working parts are the protein in the milk and the glucose in the chocolate. The protein helps repair muscles and the glucose replaced spent muscle glucose and also cause an insulin spike which shuttles the protein quicker into the cells (or so I am told...)

You can create that effect with any easy absorbable protein/glucose mix. Chocolate milk is easy because you just buy the bottle or mix hot chocolate into a glass of milk. Industry standard is 4 part glucose to 1 part protein, but in my own experimentation I found that 1-1 works just as well for me.

Again, for me, chocolate milk just doesn't have enough protein by itself, so therefore I make the two egg/milk/sugar mixture (with either berries or chocolate powder for flavour).