IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

Not the first time this has happened - any suggestions out there? not enough training? nutrition? hydration? equipment.

Lots of work to do before April!

If I may offer some advice...

It is all about getting your body used to being active for these ling periods of time. When people run lots of 20km runs but never train for more than 2 hours at one time they will always suffer after getting to say 25km.

For a half I try and do at least a few 120km rides. This teaches my body to expect a pounding even after the 3 hour bike I just did.

Also I try and do a few 6 hour sessions. Maybe run 30km and walk another hour and cycle after this or whatever... Your body changes after a prolonged period of exercise. This will also help you to experiment with your nutrition.

If you never go beyond 6 hours, how will you know what to eat/drink?

Racing long distances changes the whole game.

Also maybe try and do negative splits all the way. Break your bike and run up and always go faster later.

Lastly maybe try and race inside your lactate threshold. If you are fit, and you do this then the loss of power later in a race is a nutritional issue if you ask me. Overhydrating perhaps??? Did your stomach feel full of liquid on the run in EL?

So for IM I would suggest you try and run at least one marathon somewhere in the lead up and cycle 200km's at least once as well (preferably not in the last 4 weeks before 6 April)

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may offer some advice...

It is all about getting your body used to being active for these ling periods of time. When people run lots of 20km runs but never train for more than 2 hours at one time they will always suffer after getting to say 25km.

For a half I try and do at least a few 120km rides. This teaches my body to expect a pounding even after the 3 hour bike I just did.

Also I try and do a few 6 hour sessions. Maybe run 30km and walk another hour and cycle after this or whatever... Your body changes after a prolonged period of exercise. This will also help you to experiment with your nutrition.

If you never go beyond 6 hours, how will you know what to eat/drink?

Racing long distances changes the whole game.

Also maybe try and do negative splits all the way. Break your bike and run up and always go faster later.

Lastly maybe try and race inside your lactate threshold. If you are fit, and you do this then the loss of power later in a race is a nutritional issue if you ask me. Overhydrating perhaps??? Did your stomach feel full of liquid on the run in EL?

So for IM I would suggest you try and run at least one marathon somewhere in the lead up and cycle 200km's at least once as well (preferably not in the last 4 weeks before 6 April)

Thanks Garf,

I actually did a lot of what you mentioned and did many rides over 100-115kms - sometimes back to back. But perhaps need more running as I didn't run over 21kms that often.

Overhydration could be a factor as well as pushing to hard on the bike I think.

Def going to try some more longer session - have recently read about doing a long, hilly hike after a ride instead of a run, thus working the muscles but not getting the HR very high.

Looking back at it now I think I should have tried to eat more on the first part of the bike - I only had about a third of a bar and three gels on the bike. Nothing but water, gu bru and coke on the run.

Do you use cramp pills? if so which brand?

Looking back at it now I think I should have tried to eat more on the first part of the bike - I only had about a third of a bar and three gels on the bike. Nothing but water, gu bru and coke on the run.

I think you have your answer right there. Also try to eat more solid stuff. I started eating game biltong during long events and it's made such a big difference. Tummy feels solid and it also takes that sweet taste out of your mouth. Probably also getting a lot of salt in with the biltong. Give it a try.

I think you have your answer right there. Also try to eat more solid stuff. I started eating game biltong during long events and it's made such a big difference. Tummy feels solid and it also takes that sweet taste out of your mouth. Probably also getting a lot of salt in with the biltong. Give it a try.

Thanks

Been considering moving to 'proper' food. Im sure GU and gels work well, most people but perhaps im not one of them.

Thanks

Been considering moving to 'proper' food. Im sure GU and gels work well, most people but perhaps im not one of them.

Ag I think don't ditch the GU completely. They definately work well, but in moderation (...like most things). The key I guess is to find the right combination of energy gels/fluids and proper food. And that will differ for everyone.

I had the same happen to me last year (stomach cramps/nutrition issues/bonking on the run). From my experience you need to force yourself to eat and drink as much as possible on the EL course.

Last year I got off the bike severely dehydrated and limped my way home. This year I had 6 GU brews, water, 2 packs of GU chomps and 4 GU gels while on the bike. I did the bike in 20 minutes less than last year and felt good all the way through the run.

On the run I took water, coke and/or GU brews at every station and had 2 packs of chomps and 3 gels.

Not saying that the above will work for you, but maybe it gives you an idea of how much it's possible to consume :)

Remember that you're using up 800-1000 kcal per hour. Your body will run out of energy very quickly without a lot of nutrition.

Thanks

try taking some probiotics a week before the event, it helps your stomach absorb the "shock" of processing all the non-proper food we force down during racing.

Did anyone get sick after the race? I know of at least 5 people who were man-down after the event (includes 2 Pros and 2 podium AGers).

Did anyone get sick after the race? I know of at least 5 people who were man-down after the event (includes 2 Pros and 2 podium AGers).

I've been man down since last night!

Wow what a weekend, so many things to talk about. Most of them you probably not interested in.

Best thing of the weekend, Ida and I got engaged on Friday afternoon on a remote EL beach with a beautiful view.

Back to triathlon, I don’t think I could have had a better race. Swim was at expectation except the one rather mighty gulp of water that made me stop for 30 secs odd. Bike was a dream, all the training came together and pulled out my best effort ever.

Run, well I have never been very good at that, but nothing hurt, didn’t walk except for 20 sec drinking a bit of Coke. Ran Bunkers both laps, slow but running.

My goal was for the race to be a fair reflection of my training. Think I got there.

Nutrition worked perfectly. Equipment worked near perfectly. Minor issue with front chainring maybe cost me a minute or so.

The stats:

Swim 38:43

Bike 2:47:38 (118 in the cycle – very happy)

Run 2:09:36

Final 5:44:15 (391 overall and PB by 5m 47s)

@JGR

I think you are over analysing your problems. You were obviously very sick in the lead up to the race. Your probably would have reacted the same way no matter what you ate.

For comparison, this was my intake on race day:

T minus 1 hour - 1 red bull

T minus 15 min - 1 Gel

Bike 4 Gels, 1 bottle 32Gi, quarter bottle water picked up at last aid station (I ride one bottle only)

Run 3 Gels, 2 Nurofen and 2 Hammer Electrolyte capsules, water to thirst, 600ml 32Gi carried on my race belt.

All gels were GU Expresso Love (40mg caffeine)

No cramps or stitches, felt the best I ever have during and after the race.

I suffered like you at TriRock Durban and could only conclude it came from before the race.

@sluiper, if you are burning 800-1000 calories per hour, I would argue that you are pushing too hard. Your body is unlikely to sustain that consumption. 600-700 is more achievable for Ultra events.

@JGR

I think you are over analysing your problems. You were obviously very sick in the lead up to the race. Your probably would have reacted the same way no matter what you ate.

For comparison, this was my intake on race day:

T minus 1 hour - 1 red bull

T minus 15 min - 1 Gel

Bike 4 Gels, 1 bottle 32Gi, quarter bottle water picked up at last aid station (I ride one bottle only)

Run 3 Gels, 2 Nurofen and 2 Hammer Electrolyte capsules, water to thirst, 600ml 32Gi carried on my race belt.

All gels were GU Expresso Love (40mg caffeine)

No cramps or stitches, felt the best I ever have during and after the race.

I suffered like you at TriRock Durban and could only conclude it came from before the race.

@sluiper, if you are burning 800-1000 calories per hour, I would argue that you are pushing too hard. Your body is unlikely to sustain that consumption. 600-700 is more achievable for Ultra events.

Ok things are becoming clearer

I had 1 GU T- 15mins

half GU bar and 3 Gu's on the bike, drank about 6 bottles on the bike, most were only half full though (all caffeine free)

Coke, water and Gu bru on the run

This is a snack compared to what you had ... food for thought..... pun intended of course :)

Edited by JGR

Check out this table: http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-are-burned-in-a-triathlon?page=2

I'm at the 180lb (82kg) level where I'd be burning about 5300 kcal for a 70.3, i.e. about 800 kcal an hour.

Wow what a weekend, so many things to talk about. Most of them you probably not interested in.

Best thing of the weekend, Ida and I got engaged on Friday afternoon on a remote EL beach with a beautiful view.

Back to triathlon, I don’t think I could have had a better race. Swim was at expectation except the one rather mighty gulp of water that made me stop for 30 secs odd. Bike was a dream, all the training came together and pulled out my best effort ever.

Run, well I have never been very good at that, but nothing hurt, didn’t walk except for 20 sec drinking a bit of Coke. Ran Bunkers both laps, slow but running.

My goal was for the race to be a fair reflection of my training. Think I got there.

Nutrition worked perfectly. Equipment worked near perfectly. Minor issue with front chainring maybe cost me a minute or so.

The stats:

Swim 38:43

Bike 2:47:38 (118 in the cycle – very happy)

Run 2:09:36

Final 5:44:15 (391 overall and PB by 5m 47s)

Congratulations on the engagement, mate!!

Does she know what she's in for? :P

Ok things are becoming clearer

I had 1 GU T- 15mins

half GU bar and 3 Gu's on the bike, drank about 6 bottles on the bike, most were only half full though (all caffeine free)

Coke, water and Gu bru on the run

This is a snack compared to what you had ... food for thought..... pun intended of course :)

You drank 6 +/- half full bottles over 90km, where did u put them/ get them from?

That still equates to about 3 full bottles... :eek: on the bike

What were the contents?

Don't you think that might have drunk to much, over hydration (Hyponatrema...or something like that) can also cause muscle / stomach cramps

Did u sluck any pain killers i.e. nurofen as well?

Shot for finishing :thumbup: