Jooste

Event Name: Bryton Elephant MTB Challenge
When: 8 June 2013
Where: Askari Game Lodge, Gauteng
Category: MTB

BRYTON ELEPHANT MTB CHALLENGE

8 JUNE 2013

VENUE: Askari Game Lodge

Venue and DirectionsAskari Game Lodge & Spa is situated on the Plumari Africa Game Reserve in the Magaliesberg, close to Johannesburg and Pretoria and offers guests a memorable Big 5 wildlife experience within a malaria free environment.

Plumari Africa Game Reserve is set within a pristine wilderness area of over 5000 hectares with natural African bushveld and an abundance of flora, fauna, birdlife and wildlife. This will be the backdrop of the 2013 Bryton Big 5 series.

The series will also raise money for the Askari Rhino's, and R50 of each entry will go towards rhino collars and tracking.

From JohannesburgTake Hendrik Potgieter and continue onto N14Turn right towards Maropeng on R563

Turn left on R560 towards Hekpoort

Turn right onto R456 at the Askari banners, continue on this road to starting venueFrom PretoriaTake the N4 (church extension) towards PelindabaAt the end of the toll route, turn left toward Pelindaba R104Turn right at R104 toward Pelindaba at next stop intersectionDrive over the Krokedil river and continue straight onto R512Turn Left onto R560 at T junction towards Hekpoort

Drive through HekpoortTurn right onto R456 at the Askari banners, continue on this road to starting venueGPS co-ordinates: Degrees, minutes and seconds

25°55'35' 68"S, 27°32'.46' 29"E

Routes / Distances

50km MTB

http://www.verticalhorison.co.za/portals/45/Routes%202013/askari%2050km.PNG

20km MTB

http://www.verticalhorison.co.za/portals/45/Routes%202013/askari%2020km.PNG

10km MTB Fun Ride

http://www.verticalhorison.co.za/portals/45/Routes%202013/askari%2010km.PNG

Route Description

Seeing that the Bryton Elephant is the first in the Series, we'll ease the cyclists into BIG 5 territory, with a fly by the 1000 hectare Lion Camp, after which they'll go through a tunnel to the mountain side, where the mountain goats will have their way. Coming down from the Mountain we'll start approaching Rhino and buffalo territory.... just befor cyclist enter the danger zone, they'll make their way trough the Kloof back to the Lodge for a surprise...

Start Times

50km MTB – 08:30

20km MTB – 08:45

10km MTB Fun Ride – 09:00

Water and Refreshments

Water and Refreshment stations will be available on the route.

Entries and Registration

50km MTB – R180

20km MTB – R150

10km MTB Fun Ride – R100

R50 of your entrance fee will be donated to the funding of collars and tracking systems for the rhinos of Askari Game Lodge.

Pre-entries close on the 6th June 2013 at 17:00.

Registration on race day from 05:30 at the Race Venue or at Tool Up Cycles

Safety

· There will be marshals at strategic places on the course for your safety.

· There will be rangers on route.

· There will be a race sweeper.

· Registration will take place before the race where you must collect your race number and sign the indemnity.

· There will not be a cut off time but prize giving will start at 13:00.

· The race will be timed by Live Timing.

· It is the responsibility of the cyclist to follow the course markers.

Medals and Results

Medals to all pre-entered finishers only, for all events. Results will be made available on www.verticalhorison.co.za after the event.

Results will be displayed live at the finish lineThe race will be timed by LIVE TIME electronic timing, a permanent race number will be on sale or a temporary number will also be available for hire. No chip, no time. The timing chip can be used at all LIVE TIME events. The permanent timing chip will help athletes miss the que as no registration will be required after the chip has been bought. SAS nr's may also be used

Prizes

coming soon!

Enquiries

Kris Jooste - 083 653 4367

Francois Jooste-0845844663

info@verticalhorison.co.za

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also looking forward to this... might take a while to finish - stil not found spare lungs/heart or legs!!

I entered the whole series - value for money and money goes back to Rhinos. Plus you get a Decca shirt and a discounted race entry.

Wild be a wild ride! There are hippo's crocodlies and yes, the Big 5 in the reserve, but don't worry, for the first event you'll be safe inside the Lion enclosure

Jooste, the lions actually gonna be in there? or you taking them to another camp for the day? ie, do we get to see them in our camp?