McLean adds his name to MTB Masters World Champs entry list

Matt

Best known for his world class road cycling abilities, Andrew McLean has temporarily shifted his focus somewhat and set his sights on the upcoming UCI Masters MTB World Championships, which take place in KwaZulu-Natal’s capital from 21-25 August, with the hope of winning a world title in his age group after seeing the road racing equivalent slip through his fingers twice last year.

Click here to view the article

Oh dearie me..... if it's an old school hardcore technical anaerobic lap race, and not a marathon-type 90% gravel road course (which are ideal for roadies & ex-roadies, especially those riding full sussers), things could get interesting......

Oh dearie me..... if it's an old school hardcore technical anaerobic lap race, and not a marathon-type 90% gravel road course (which are ideal for roadies & ex-roadies, especially those riding full sussers), things could get interesting......

If you including Andrew M in the roadie / ex roadie bracket... I remember him doing his first national XCO in Sabie about 11 or 12 years ago, it was not a marathon type course and he did not do to bad then. I reckon he has improved a bit since then....

well looking at saseeding he finished 3rd overall at Clarens, running top 10 at Sani2c and 15th in the ultra at Sabie. Not to shabby.

The course is not to technical at the moment, More technical sections might be added closer to the time. It's 90% single track that is either going straight up or straight down, very few flat sections which allow for recovery. Lots of tight switchbacks which might hinder the 29ers a bit. Lots of roots in some sections.

The course is not to technical at the moment, More technical sections might be added closer to the time. It's 90% single track that is either going straight up or straight down, very few flat sections which allow for recovery. Lots of tight switchbacks which might hinder the 29ers a bit. Lots of roots in some sections.

Nice sandy descents which turn into deep braking bumps after awhile with fine powdery sand to hide the roots?

If by sandy you mean loose sand, not really. Most of the surfaces are quite well compacted. The roots are all exposed, no attempt to cover them. There are some that come across the track at an angle which could be easy to wash your front out especially in one or two of the corners. A few sections of ascending singletrack which are covered in roots and takes a lot of power out of your legs to keep momentum. There are a few sections of new track dug out of the side of the bank which aren't to compact at the edge. The tight switchbacks don't have much braking erosion, so you can enter quite fast and slide your back out to line you up for the exit. It's an intense course with not many opportunity's for overtaking other than the one or two sections of jeep track or the start/finish straight. Most of the sand is more of a clay consistency as the area is quite wet most of the year. If it's wet when riding the roots and surfaces become very slippery.