Chemistry question

ibruegge

Your age?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. Tick your age so we can see who to call Oom or Tannie...

• 10-15 years old
    • 16-20 years old
    • 21-25 years old
    • 26-30 years old
    • 31-35 years old
    • 36-40 years old
    • 41-45 years old
    • 46-50 years old
    • 51-55 years old
    • 56-60 years old
    • 61-65 years old
    • 66-70 years old
    • 70-75 years old
    • 76- Old fart

Hello, made a promise of looking after my little brother in law during homework. Now I'm stuffed as I can't come up with the answers / examples.

remember changes of matter phases. Solid, liquid and gas. So an example is Ice, water and water vapour; we are looking for another example where the liquid phase are know as a useful product. We tried everything from gold, iron etc. Boiling point, melting point in periodic table does not help if we can't label the liquid phase:(

That is what we are struggling with tonight. Because it must bé an example used in all three phases.

Any ideas?! Thanks

To get technical, steam is not a phase seeing as it contains water. Enthalpy must be added to steam until it becomes "dry steam" which is known as "superheated vapour", only then can it be classified as a gas.

To answer you question- ammonia (NH3) is used in fridge plants (and your common household fridge) as coolant. It's in the form of a liquid, then after the compression cycle it becomes a gas and then again a liquid once cooled down. NH3 is also used as a fertiliser in its solid state. I know it's not an element, don't know if it's in your scope.

errm, NaCl or sodium chloride, or more commonly known as salt. When a solid we use it as a food substance or for melting ice. Molten salt is used in solar concentrators to transport the capture solar heat and trasnferred to a secondary medium like water which is turned into steam.

Buthane - gas LPG, liquid for transport and for rockets its a solid... I think

Nope it's a (different) liquid or else a really nasty solid chemical. Not the same stuff.

The hub, where all you questions are answered! Got to love this place :clap:

Exactly, little brother in law is hugely impressed (he is 13) - and says wow, "so many smart friends you have" :-)

Exactly, little brother in law is hugely impressed (he is 13) - and says wow, "so many smart friends you have" :-)

Little does he know that you don't actually have any friends. :ph34r:

Molten salt is used in solar concentrators to transport the capture solar heat and trasnferred to a secondary medium like water which is turned into steam.

I don't think they use NaCl in those, rather nitrogen-based salts like KNO3.

I don't think they use NaCl in those, rather nitrogen-based salts like KNO3.

indeed they do, and it's normally a mix of nitrates, eg KNO3, CaNO3, or NaNo3. The use of table salt was a deliberate, but somewhat misleading oversimplification. Agreed.