[Event] Fair Cape Dairies MTB Challenge

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

Yea that is pretty accurate for the last bit where we were against the wind :D

Well I've bought it on the 16th of November 2013 and it haven't once recorded my time, why should I fork up another R 120 if they sold me a faulty chip...and an official reply from them suggesting it would even be appreciated but nada. I think I'm just not in the right head-space regarding this at the moment. What I might just mention is I'm pretty sure I heard the beeps as I rolled over the timing mats today so....

That's very strange, but with technology, anything is possible, I'd be frustrated as well, especially after all the suffering of today!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very strange, but with technology, anything is possible, I'd be frustrated as well, especially after all the suffering of today!

Exactly, it isn't like it was a winning time but 3:28:48 (give or take 5s for starting the Garmin early) it wasn't to crap either in my books considering I started in the MH group :whistling:

Exactly, it isn't like it was a winning time but 3:28:48 (give or take 5s for starting the Garmin early) it wasn't to crap either in my books considering I started in the MH group :whistling:

Not a bad time at all, maybe just phone them Monday instead of sending emails, people have a tendacy to forget to reply to emails when things get busy, but on the phone they must stick it out!

Not a bad time at all, maybe just phone them Monday instead of sending emails, people have a tendacy to forget to reply to emails when things get busy, but on the phone they must stick it out!

True will see if I don't get reply by lunch I think calling them would be best as an email also doesn't convey one's frustration as accurately as talking to someone :P But I think I'll be in a better head-space by then :thumbup: Edited by -cK-

I managed the 60km in 4hours dead with an average speed of 15kph. Was going well up until 50km and then the wind came in strong over last 10km. My Garmin registered 61.7km at 1454m elevation gain.

I managed the 60km in 4hours dead with an average speed of 15kph. Was going well up until 50km and then the wind came in strong over last 10km. My Garmin registered 61.7km at 1454m elevation gain.

I found that 18 odd km's of flat road against the wind sooo tiring, my legs were shot when I got to that last waterpoint! Also my first race on the new bike, (switched from a 10kg 29er Carbon hardtail to a 11.5kg 650b alloy dual suss), definitely felt the weight penalty on the flats against the wind, but otherwise it was a good first time experience. I managed 3h23mins, so the new setup isn't all that bad a machine for some friendly racing... :thumbup:

I found that 18 odd km's of flat road against the wind sooo tiring, my legs were shot when I got to that last waterpoint! Also my first race on the new bike, (switched from a 10kg 29er Carbon hardtail to a 11.5kg 650b alloy dual suss), definitely felt the weight penalty on the flats against the wind, but otherwise it was a good first time experience. I managed 3h23mins, so the new setup isn't all that bad a machine for some friendly racing... :thumbup:

Off the topic.

What is your impression of the 650B as a wheelsize?

Worth the effort / expense to go up to from a 26" bike?

I did the 60km on Sat.

As I am not a PPA member I do not get a time which I understand.

Just want to know where I can find the results. Racetec only shows your results and not everyones together.

Can someone point me in the right direction as I would like to see where i would have come if I was timed? I timed myself. Thanks

Well done bud. That's a super time. My time was on a 13.5kg alloy dual susser. Recognise your name from Strava Durbanville Hills segments - you're a good rider pal.

Off the topic.

What is your impression of the 650B as a wheelsize?

Worth the effort / expense to go up to from a 26" bike?

I would say yes. Ive been on a 26er Hardtail to a 26 Dual sus, to a 29er Hardtail (x3) and now to the 650b Dual suss, all in 3years time.

My very first impression getting on the 650b from a 29er was that didnt really feel like I was looking onto a smaller wheel size, instead I found myself focusing more on getting used to the rear suspension, which I obviously didnt have for a while.

The 650b climbs really well, and I can track this with Strava compared to the 29er hardtail, Ive bettred quite a few climbing sections with a bike thats 1.5kgs heavier thatn what the 29er was!

On the technical downhills its really fast, and rolls comfortably on the flat trail sections as well, its smooth and glides over rough section, its very nippy on tight switchbacks and singletrack and Ive even found myself comfortably taking the odd jump here and there, something I've never done with the 29er or 26er

Ive invested early in the awesome very light 650b American classic Race wheelset, which feels lively compared to the stock standard Giant wheels.

The only weakness I felt for the 650b is long open farm road type of riding, where its will still be obviously better that the 26er but just lacks that momentum a 29er gives, but with that said, its not like crazy bad, its slighlty, and then who only rides open roads here in the Durbanville trails,...

Its a playfull feeling bike, its fast enough to race, its comfortable, it rolls over obsticals better that a 26er by far, it climbs really well, and so far I've been very impressed and really happy!

And here she is!

post-17321-0-65452900-1385980431_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Will then go ahead and spoil myself with a 650B wheelset for my trusty XTc Alu Hardtail.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Will then go ahead and spoil myself with a 650B wheelset for my trusty XTc Alu Hardtail.

Dunno what your budget for wheels are, but I got these AC's Race from Rob at Booth bikes for R5200 incl a front 15mm axle, he's given me the best price

Dunno what your budget for wheels are, but I got these AC's Race from Rob at Booth bikes for R5200 incl a front 15mm axle, he's given me the best price

Already got a quote for Alex wheels, Kenda Karma / Nevegal combo and tjoobless kit fitted for R3000.00.

Googled the Alex Rims wheels, seems like a fairly decent wheelset.

Already got a quote for Alex wheels, Kenda Karma / Nevegal combo and tjoobless kit fitted for R3000.00.

Googled the Alex Rims wheels, seems like a fairly decent wheelset.

Good deal