Rhino guy banned for wearing 'horn'

Jigghead

What next, I think it's a cool idea.

Taken from News24:

"Duncan Alfreds

Cape Town - A rhino campaigner has been banned from the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour because of his outfit during the 2013 race.

Steve Newman, also known as the Naked Skydiver, has been running a virtual one man campaign to raise money to fight rhino poaching.

His stunts invariably include him being near naked, but he said that concerns about his state of undress were unfounded.

"The only reason I've been doing it naked is that everyone seems to be really shy, but we've all got the same bits. So it's not that much of a big deal, really, and it gets noticed," Newman told News24 recently.

He participated in the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon and the 2013 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour wearing his "horn" to raise money to fight rhino poaching.

Formal complaint

But his stunt at the cycle race wasn't taken lightly; the organisation sent Newman a tersely worded e-mail.

"Please make representations why your entry should not be refused from future Cycle Tours in light of the apparent deliberate breach of the Rules of the Cycle Tour?" the message in possession of News24 says in part.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust said that it received a formal complaint on the attire that Newman wore at the race, though the complainant acknowledged that she saw him after the race, not on his bicycle.

"For the last two or three years we've had a number of complaints from the public about the attire at the event, so the Trust took a decision to publish an article The Seven Deadly Sins in our magazine that went out to all participants in this year's cycle tour," David Bellairs, Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust director told News24.

He pointed out that the decision to ban Newman was not taken lightly, and added that the ban was only for the 2014 race.

"He hasn't been banned for life; it's simply for next year."

Bellairs said that the Trust was intent on building the tolerance that Cape Town is known for, but had to be sensitive to those who might be offended by participants' behaviour.

Awareness

"We encourage the creativity that is typically Cape Town - no question about that - but the difficulty for the Trust is retaining some form of dignity.

"We live in a multi-cultural society where nudity of that nature is offensive to certain people, and we must be sensitive to that."

For his part, Newman responded that he was interested in raising awareness about the plight of the rhino.

"It was never my intention to embarrass the race organisers nor to act in a manner that was indecent or inappropriate. I am honestly attempting to educate and create awareness for the plight of rhinos in South Africa.

"I go by the pseudonym #NakedSkyDiver and have to date raised in excess of R60 000, all of which has been donated to saving and preserving a dwindling and exploited natural resource."

The tour accused Newman of deliberately ignoring Rule 2.15 that says a rider is expected to wear "clothing appropriate for a family event at all times"."

post-19851-0-46997300-1369830260_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody right, his cause may be for the right purpose but his attire not for a "for a family event at all times"

Ass Crack is NEVER acceptable! (well not a man's anyway)

Just about to say - would the reactions have been the same if it was a woman?

By the photo it seems that just his "crack" was visible not the important part :ph34r: - aren't they forgetting about the two guys that did the Argus on BMX's in their mankini's? Borat suits? To me that was way more revealing. hairy man - sies. :whistling:

Bottom line - Rhino man is doing it for a good cause and I will support his efforts.

Edited by SyncSA

Ahhh the media...

Headline: Rhino guy banned for wearing horn.

Actual Reason: Nudity

Me - I'm about ready to grab my pitchfork and burn me some journalists....

This really grates my nads. Sure i can understand there are kids at the event but what are two cheeks going to do to the mental state of anyone? At least they will then take note and shove a R10 in his jock strap.

Ban him from 2014? Sure, next year I will arrange a mass demonstration of walking people on their route dressed in horns. Let's get banned for 2015 as well if it saves a rhino.

Well since this statement it won't be too difficult deciding if I should enter it. Hell no. Will much rather donate money towards the rhinos.

Feel the same. Since when did they decide that the Argus is bigger than a global cause to save something we were meant to protect in the first place.

Just think how sore his arse must be at the end of the day. And Question to the posters here... Have you ever tried cycling in the nude? Tip: Men, watch out catching your ding dong between the sadle and leg will cause a lot of pain...

To me it sounds too much like a staged complaint / banning / more media exposure....... I'm underwhelmed either way (but I support his cause).

Headline: Rhino guy banned for wearing horn.

Actual Reason: Nudity

It should have been: Rhino guy banned for showing horn.

:whistling:

It should have been: Rhino guy banned for showing horn.

:whistling:

Aaaah, I geddit now - they're trying to de-horn the guy for the 2014 Argus! :D

Edited by DJR

At least his cause has the same fate as many of the Rhino, he also got his horn removed....pity and hope he keeps up the effort !!