Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jokes I actually suck pretty bad but wouldnt mind checking out france and some of there sick trails

Guest Omega Man

Looks too much fun!

Did you guys take your own bikes or did some of you rent?

You take your own bike. The rentals are k@k expensive and have been ridden like a green point hooker.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Jokes I actually suck pretty bad but wouldnt mind checking out france and some of there sick trails

There's riding there for all tastes and abilities. The cool thing is all the stuff is built in a safe manner. So if you do crash it will pretty much be your fault not k@k trail building's fault.

No that was a tin of coke for R45. Never have a coke at altitude. Cos it will kick your wallet to death.

Yip. Did that in January, right on top of one of the mountains, coke, burger and fries. R350...put an interesting perspective on eating out in SA after the trip.

@OM Your pics look good. It looks like an amazing trip. It is a really beautiful part of the world.

My eyes are bleeding from the ugly pics, OM!!

Looks like it was a great trip.

You've put that area on my bucket list - I'm building up credit with my wife 'cause she's going to Mauritius in Jan and I have to work!! :devil:

Thanks for the posts!

Guest Omega Man

Yip. Did that in January, right on top of one of the mountains, coke, burger and fries. R350...put an interesting perspective on eating out in SA after the trip.

@OM Your pics look good. It looks like an amazing trip. It is a really beautiful part of the world.

Haha. Ja we found spots where you could get a burger chips and a coke for 8.50. but those are at the bottom of the ski lifts. As soon as you walk into a spot at the top of the mountain expect the cost to rise dramatically.

Having said that the views and atmosphere made it one of the best cokes I've ever had.

Guest Omega Man

My eyes are bleeding from the ugly pics, OM!!

Looks like it was a great trip.

You've put that area on my bucket list - I'm building up credit with my wife 'cause she's going to Mauritius in Jan and I have to work!! :devil:

Thanks for the posts!

The pics don't remotely do it justice. All of the first timers said it exceeded their expectations by a long long way. The trails are amazing. The setting is spectacular. The supermarket food is super cheap. There's loads of variety ito beers. The French aren't thaaaat rude. Even the water from the water troughs tastes amazing.

Don't say bucket list. It's not a bucket list trip. It's totally affordable.

You book your plane ticket in well in advance. That brings the cost under 10k for the ticket. November is your booking date. Then you scratch together 2k a month for 6 months and your trip is paid for.

The fact that your wife is going to Mauritius gives you a free pass in my book.

The pics don't remotely do it justice. All of the first timers said it exceeded their expectations by a long long way. The trails are amazing. The setting is spectacular. The supermarket food is super cheap. There's loads of variety ito beers. The French aren't thaaaat rude. Even the water from the water troughs tastes amazing.

Don't say bucket list. It's not a bucket list trip. It's totally affordable.

You book your plane ticket in well in advance. That brings the cost under 10k for the ticket. November is your booking date. Then you scratch together 2k a month for 6 months and your trip is paid for.

The fact that your wife is going to Mauritius gives you a free pass in my book.

I agree - definitely going to plan this!

Guest Omega Man

When I said a weeks riding over there is like a year here I really meant it.

I went through 2 sets of brake pads and I've just given my bike a once over and discovered on my rear shock that the Cylinder head has almost unscrewed itself from the main shock body.

So... Safe to say R50k will buy the bike and the bucket holiday.

R25000 for a good DH rig

R25000 for a damn good life experience.

Sounds good!

We were in Les Arcs a few years back and I spoke to a few of the locals there about the mountain biking. All agree that a DH rig for the heavier crazy runs but they said any bike 150mm to 170mm is the dogs bollocs as you can ride everything.

I don't know how the areas compare as Les Arcs doesn't look quite as steep as Morzine area.

Bottom line, pitch up with a 100mm XC bike you'll still have a damn good time!

Guest Omega Man

We were in Les Arcs a few years back and I spoke to a few of the locals there about the mountain biking. All agree that a DH rig for the heavier crazy runs but they said any bike 150mm to 170mm is the dogs bollocs as you can ride everything.

I don't know how the areas compare as Les Arcs doesn't look quite as steep as Morzine area.

Bottom line, pitch up with a 100mm XC bike you'll still have a damn good time!

100%

There's loads of people on AM bikes. I even spotted the odd 29er this year. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy a bike specific for one trip. You just take the burliest bike that you do have and maybe put in a few little cheap mods to make it more appropriate like bigger brake rotors.

But don't expect mile upon mile of Cape Epic style jeeptrack. If that's what you are after you are going to be severely dissapointed.