Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

If you consider that you are doing effectively a years worth of riding in a week replacing bearings and the old bit & bob here & there isn't too bad.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthest I got was to take my bike out the box and leave it on the floor in pieces, everything still felt good at the end of the trip.

Going to give her a full strip and rebuild, Its been 2 years anyway.

when I eventually get all our footage from Patch Ill put something together.

So after spending a week in the bike box. Then 2 weeks hanging in the garage in its disassembled state, I finally decided to put make my bike look like a bike again.

As for the wear and tear...

Chain (SRAM 1071)... left behind in Morzine to save weight. But it was about 3yrs old and had done the trip twice, so I think it earned its retirement.

Tyres (Muddy Mary 26 x 2.5" Trailstar)... still looking good. Like 90% tread on the front and 80% on the rear. I know the mudfest was a little easier on tyres than previous years' conditions, but I'm still vey impressed with the Muddies.

Fork (Boxxer WC)... feeling good! I did do a lower service and repplace seals and wipers before the trip, so it should still be fine fore a while.

Brake Pads (Avid Code)... I only replaced one set while there (front) on about day 8, and in all fairness those ones were also 2 years old and had done the previous trip too. The rear was brand new for this trip, and still has quite a bit of life left.

Pivot bearings... still feeling good. I replaced all of them before the trip though,.

and finally, le bee-bee...

post-10758-0-89993800-1409809493_thumb.jpg

Drive side was completely seized. Cranks wouldn't turn unless forced. I spent some time flushing the bearings our with Q20 and isopropyl alc. I then repacked with Belray grease, and the pedals turn for another day.

Like many of the other parts, this BB was also 2yrs old and had done the previous trip, so it has had a decent life. I think it still has a few good weeks in it before it gets replaced with the complete bike strip-down.

Guest Omega Man

Tyres (Muddy Mary 26 x 2.5" Trailstar)... still looking good. Like 90% tread on the front and 80% on the rear. I know the mudfest was a little easier on tyres than previous years' conditions, but I'm still vey impressed with the Muddies.

I took MM's for the trip and they will be my default tire choice from now on. They do wear rather fast but that's all really.

What you have said here is impossible Patches!

1. you have suggested that you Avids did not give you trouble and actually managed to slow you down. Please consider Shimano brakes, they are infallible.

2. You claim you got extra life out of a bearing by cleaning and repacking with grease - Get real bro!

What you have said here is impossible Patches!

1. you have suggested that you Avids did not give you trouble and actually managed to slow you down. Please consider Shimano brakes, they are infallible.

2. You claim you got extra life out of a bearing by cleaning and repacking with grease - Get real bro!

I simply believed in myself!

http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b9/500x611px-LL-b933f8bc_engrish-funny-anything-is-possibru.jpeg

Edited by patches

Here is a little something KathF & I (mostly KF's work) put together. After spending a week in bed with flu that cost 108Euro (don't go to the doctor on the weekend, lesson learnt) Kath finally got well enough to ride. It was a bloody good couple of days.

http://youtu.be/MFLFEyezHC0

Believe it or not we did ride with our other mates but never had too much footage. I'm sure Peach will throw something together though :blush:

Edited by Super_mil

Here is a little something KathF & I (mostly KF's work) put together. After spending a week in bed with flue that cost 108Euro Kath finally got well enough to ride. It was a bloody good couple of days.

Looks like you guys had a ball. :thumbup:

One day, one day when I'm big.......................................

I moved the components over from the Glory to the Kalula on Friday.... Surprisingly not too bad!

The jockey wheels where completely seized, as well as the one on the chain device. The BB was still turning, but I had an extra new one so that went onto the new frame. Haven't opened the fork yet... not sure I want to.

The linkage bearings seem to be okay, so I'm not going to bother with those before selling the frame.

Here is a little something KathF & I (mostly KF's work) put together. After spending a week in bed with flu that cost 108Euro (don't go to the doctor on the weekend, lesson learnt) Kath finally got well enough to ride. It was a bloody good couple of days.

http://youtu.be/MFLFEyezHC0

Believe it or not we did ride with our other mates but never had too much footage. I'm sure Peach will throw something together though :blush:

Great edit! Morzine RULES!

Guest Omega Man

http://www.sa-alpine-addiction.co.za/2014-trip-is-in-the-books/

The dust and mud has finally settled on our 2014 trip.

This year was a first for us as we decided on a catered chalet for 2014. We think the decision was a huge success. No hassling with food and no arguing over who’s cheese had been eaten. The chalet provided us with 2 great meals a day with a 3 course dinner every night. In true Saffer fashion the Brit chalet hosts were taught a thing or two about braaing. And Die Antwoord. God help us all.

The guys in the chalet really went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one and even included a live band on our last night. The other guests were quickly integrated into our group and I think it’s fair to say their trips were enhanced by our presence. Fun was had by all. Next year we’re told there will be a pump track in the garden for the folk who still have excess energy after a days riding.

The usual retail therapy went down with guys buying new kits, shoes and pads like there was no tomorrow. We also did a little sampling of the local brews. The craft brewery saw multiple visits as did the notorious Bar Robinson. We also found a great little place in Montriond that served amazing Weiss beers with a slice of lemon.

On to the riding. Truthfully this was our wettest trip so far. Some of the locals were calling it the wettest Summer in 15 years. But what to do? Get on the waterproofs and get out there. I think the boys learnt a lot about mud riding and even though it was wet on the first few days the smiles through the mud caked faces told the story. On multiple days we made Zore our own with Tony even going so far as planting the flag on one of the jumps. The whip off contest on the 10m table under the lift was won by none other than South Africa’s own Tim Bentley. We also made multiple trips over to Chatel. The trails had taken a beating from the rain but the ones that were open were still amazing. A first for this trip was the inclusion of about half of the riders on trail bikes. So an enduro day was in order. We donned the enduro lids and off to Morgins and back. It was a great day and we got to ride areas that I’d never seen before. In the past I’d be smashing 15 bikepark laps a day and not going anywhere near the lakes and ridge line rides.

On a good dry day the entire group made their way out to Morgins again. A big eye opener for most as Morgins is steep. Even by Alps standards. But DAMN it’s good! Morgins is maintained by legendary trail builder Ben Walker. On that particular day I did 102km of distance covered and 7200m of vertical descent. I rode in 2 countries and in 5 bikeparks. That can’t be done anywhere else on the planet.

Everyone’s level of riding went up hugely. Especially Tony, Nico, Stephen and Martin. Those boys really embraced the trip and made every run count. At the beginning of the trip they weren’t even remotely coming close to clearing the big 8m table top on Zore. By the end of the trip they were clearing it with ease and starting to throw little whips. It was great to see the progression. Martin even smashed the road gap at Zore on his Rocky Mountain AM bike. Karl upped his ante by throwing, and landing, a backflip on the Chatel airbag. Rupert and Evan already ride at a ridiculously high level so they were in their element. Those two boys rode crazy trails with Evan hitting Zouga Lou Kata and Air Voltage on a Giant Trance no less. These are proper Alpine Double Black trails. Much respect boys.

We had a few injuries and broken bike parts with Dan dislocating his shoulder and Goolam tearing his knee open on day 2. The good news is no bones were broken and everyone finished the trip. Friendships were made and legends were born

Thanks for making the trip boys. It was a goodie.

Duane.

http://www.sa-alpine...s-in-the-books/

The dust and mud has finally settled on our 2014 trip.

This year was a first for us as we decided on a catered chalet for 2014. We think the decision was a huge success. No hassling with food and no arguing over who’s cheese had been eaten. The chalet provided us with 2 great meals a day with a 3 course dinner every night. In true Saffer fashion the Brit chalet hosts were taught a thing or two about braaing. And Die Antwoord. God help us all.

The guys in the chalet really went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one and even included a live band on our last night. The other guests were quickly integrated into our group and I think it’s fair to say their trips were enhanced by our presence. Fun was had by all. Next year we’re told there will be a pump track in the garden for the folk who still have excess energy after a days riding.

The usual retail therapy went down with guys buying new kits, shoes and pads like there was no tomorrow. We also did a little sampling of the local brews. The craft brewery saw multiple visits as did the notorious Bar Robinson. We also found a great little place in Montriond that served amazing Weiss beers with a slice of lemon.

On to the riding. Truthfully this was our wettest trip so far. Some of the locals were calling it the wettest Summer in 15 years. But what to do? Get on the waterproofs and get out there. I think the boys learnt a lot about mud riding and even though it was wet on the first few days the smiles through the mud caked faces told the story. On multiple days we made Zore our own with Tony even going so far as planting the flag on one of the jumps. The whip off contest on the 10m table under the lift was won by none other than South Africa’s own Tim Bentley. We also made multiple trips over to Chatel. The trails had taken a beating from the rain but the ones that were open were still amazing. A first for this trip was the inclusion of about half of the riders on trail bikes. So an enduro day was in order. We donned the enduro lids and off to Morgins and back. It was a great day and we got to ride areas that I’d never seen before. In the past I’d be smashing 15 bikepark laps a day and not going anywhere near the lakes and ridge line rides.

On a good dry day the entire group made their way out to Morgins again. A big eye opener for most as Morgins is steep. Even by Alps standards. But DAMN it’s good! Morgins is maintained by legendary trail builder Ben Walker. On that particular day I did 102km of distance covered and 7200m of vertical descent. I rode in 2 countries and in 5 bikeparks. That can’t be done anywhere else on the planet.

Everyone’s level of riding went up hugely. Especially Tony, Nico, Stephen and Martin. Those boys really embraced the trip and made every run count. At the beginning of the trip they weren’t even remotely coming close to clearing the big 8m table top on Zore. By the end of the trip they were clearing it with ease and starting to throw little whips. It was great to see the progression. Martin even smashed the road gap at Zore on his Rocky Mountain AM bike. Karl upped his ante by throwing, and landing, a backflip on the Chatel airbag. Rupert and Evan already ride at a ridiculously high level so they were in their element. Those two boys rode crazy trails with Evan hitting Zouga Lou Kata and Air Voltage on a Giant Trance no less. These are proper Alpine Double Black trails. Much respect boys.

We had a few injuries and broken bike parts with Dan dislocating his shoulder and Goolam tearing his knee open on day 2. The good news is no bones were broken and everyone finished the trip. Friendships were made and legends were born

Thanks for making the trip boys. It was a goodie.

Duane.

Thanks to you and Karl! This trip not only changed my outlook on riding, it changed my outlook on life here in SA and just in general. I cannot recommend this trip enough. If you have the cash spare. Do it. Really, it is that good!