Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

You just cant get enough of the alps, little video of a 10 year old I rode with this year.

Lucky chap that.Closest I got to DH in the Alps when I was 10 was bombing it down the side of Bill Stewart koppie in Bedfordview on my BMX 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so any takers for 2019? There were quite a few of you saying 2019 last year...... Guess what people. It's 2019!

Dates are 14-28 July My mate Karl has organized rockstar accommodation RIGHT on the town square looking straight at Pleney. It won't be cheap but it will be amazing.

I'm gonna be there within that timeframe but I can't take that much time this year so I'm doing a 6 day catered, haribo's for lunch turbocharged thing.

Patrick from Tygerberg is apparently putting something together too. It's always more fun and more cost effective with a crew. So hook up with those 2 crews.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

Any gravity freaks keen on a trip to Morzine in July? My mate Karl has a few spots open in his accommodation. It's rock star and right on the town square.

22 ski lifts

650km of marked trail

Not to mention the 20 odd unmarked trails on Pleney alone

6 Bikeparks

And a World Cup!!!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 2 months later...

So who's coming?

I know 2 characters on here have booked and will pop their Alpine cherries come July. Starting to get the amp level up a bit. The winter lifts closed last week. Pics of trail work are starting to emerge. Soon we'll se new trails starting to pop up on the social media.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 7 months later...

OK Duane, what's the plans for 2020?

Hey Dirk.

Unless something changes in my finances I'm not going next year. I'm going Roadie cycling in the Pyrenees with my other half in June so 2 trips are out of the question. But I know some of the lads from last year are planning for 2nd half of July. That's probably the best time to go.

They'll probably rent a shared accommodation but failing that I stayed a night in a great little BnB/famiy hotel for 40 Euro a night BNB. It had a pool which was amazing after a day on the trails. Also the breakfast and bottomless coffee was a win. If you are going for a short time that's definitely a good call. 40 a night plus another 20 for a burger at dinner and a Carrefour lunch during the day. I can give you those details.

The season will run quite late because of the World Cup race in September so there's loads of scope for dates. The whole area will open up 26th of June which will make it the longest PDS season ever.

Imagine Jonkers. But with more trail. And there's ski lifts so you do all the trails 10 times each. Then multiply that by 6 cos there's 6 valleys with trail.

Edit. Dates are 25th to 31st July

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Imagine Jonkers. But with more trail. And there's ski lifts so you do all the trails 10 times each. Then multiply that by 6 cos there's 6 valleys with trail.

Drool  :drool:

Drool  :drool:

I could go on.

The big change for me over the years has been the growth in the number of single crown bikes. When we first went in 2011 you would hardly see an enduro bike.

Nowadays the single crown bikes outnumber the DH bikes and the trails have changed accordingly. Also the trail maintenance guys have had to catch a wakeup due to competition from all the parks springing up in Europe and the UK so maintenance is consistent. 2017 saw the intoduction of a brand new lift on the Zore side and 2020 sees a new linking lift being introduced in Lindarets. There's talk of a peak to peak gondola in Les Gets and a single lift running all the way from downtown morzine right up to Avoriaz in the near future.

People often ask me why I go back to the same place year after year. For me it's very simple. I have 2 major constraints. Time and Money. Time wise I don't think there's a better destination in the world. You jump on a plane in CT and 24 hours later you can be hanging your bike on a lift in Morzine. You have access to 6 of the best bikeparks in Europe with every type of riding you could want to do.

Price wise you can do it for under 25k. I spent the following last year

Plane Ticket 13k

Accomodation 6k

Visa 0 (I have a multi)

Lift pass 2k

Transfers 1k

Insurance R500

Bike repairs 1.5k

Spending Money 3k

My plane ticket cost a bit more than it should have coz I flew Turkish and you pay for bikes. But the upside was we got to ride on the first and last days so well worth it. I had issues with my chainguide so that went in the bin and I bought a NW and I also melted a brake rotor and got fleeced for brake pads.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 10 months later...

I could go on.

The big change for me over the years has been the growth in the number of single crown bikes. When we first went in 2011 you would hardly see an enduro bike.

Nowadays the single crown bikes outnumber the DH bikes and the trails have changed accordingly. Also the trail maintenance guys have had to catch a wakeup due to competition from all the parks springing up in Europe and the UK so maintenance is consistent. 2017 saw the intoduction of a brand new lift on the Zore side and 2020 sees a new linking lift being introduced in Lindarets. There's talk of a peak to peak gondola in Les Gets and a single lift running all the way from downtown morzine right up to Avoriaz in the near future.

People often ask me why I go back to the same place year after year. For me it's very simple. I have 2 major constraints. Time and Money. Time wise I don't think there's a better destination in the world. You jump on a plane in CT and 24 hours later you can be hanging your bike on a lift in Morzine. You have access to 6 of the best bikeparks in Europe with every type of riding you could want to do.

Price wise you can do it for under 25k. I spent the following last year

Plane Ticket 13k

Accomodation 6k

Visa 0 (I have a multi)

Lift pass 2k

Transfers 1k

Insurance R500

Bike repairs 1.5k

Spending Money 3k

My plane ticket cost a bit more than it should have coz I flew Turkish and you pay for bikes. But the upside was we got to ride on the first and last days so well worth it. I had issues with my chainguide so that went in the bin and I bought a NW and I also melted a brake rotor and got fleeced for brake pads.

2021 plans?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, Duane_Bosch said:

Yissie we're so slow it's a 2 song run.

Here's one...not much faster and 2 things....

1. They got no music so there's that....I think they wanted to have the wind whistling in the mic so it "seemed" faster!!!????

2. @1.33 this plonker (JK) gives #12...the 10%er....a miss......B-line!!!! (JK = just kidding...he's not the GOAT for no reason!)

Also 3: they mention it's "moist" again to hint that they may just have to ride slowly!!!! (Also JK....!????)BTW Moist is how we like it!!!!