Is Hi-Viz still a (fashionable) option?

Secondskins

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason orange headlight on a bike works. I'd say go day-glow yellow, bright shocking orange, bright shocking green and bright shocking blue. For it to work as advertised it needs to be BRIGHT - the yellow in your pic (not sure if it's the flash or what) looks almost to mellow.

White is a non-color and blends too easily. Same with blue, black, red...

http://georgenaterry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/hi_viz_jersey_resize.jpg

Of these I'd go with Neon Green and Fluorescent Yellow.

Edited by The Crow

Really did mean BRIGHT!

http://site.aerotechdesigns.com/shoes/ATD_Neoprene_CyclingShoeCover.jpg

Try Workwear for a range of Hi Vis stuff. Very good indeed.

Look here first prior to any other purchase.

The yellow is very revealing down below...

LOL! Ja at least put a pair of cycling shorts on to complete the look...

There's a reason orange headlight on a bike works. I'd say go day-glow yellow, bright shocking orange, bright shocking green and bright shocking blue. For it to work as advertised it needs to be BRIGHT - the yellow in your pic (not sure if it's the flash or what) looks almost to mellow.

White is a non-color and blends too easily. Same with blue, black, red...

http://georgenaterry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/hi_viz_jersey_resize.jpg

Of these I'd go with Neon Green and Fluorescent Yellow.

Thanx for the input, will take that into consideration. I can assure you though that the yellow is very bright, it must be the flash.

I have noticed a change in London, where motorcyclists used to wear black jackets, black trousers, and used a black motorbike. They were not noticable at all, and of course there were many accidents [and considering the average Londoner can drive better than your average South African].

Now almost EVERYONE, motorcyclists and Bicycle riders, wear flourescent garments, and it's now considered fashion, [check out all the new running shoes and gym shoes], and life-saving.

If you wish to wear black everything, that's your choice. :wacko:

The bright people wear bright clothing. :clap:

With cyclist accidents on the increase these days, are high-visibility clothing still an important option? Or does the problem not lie with being seen, but rather being aware?

Cyclists also tend to be fashionable and trend following and some of us do not really like the neon yellow or green colours.

What are your opinions on black, royal blue and white as colours for rain jackets?

We appreciate your inputs!

Much like it is scientifically proven that driving with your lights on in your car reduces your chances of being in an accident, I have no doubt that bright clothing on a cyclist has the same affect. Obviously not in all situations though.

As The Crow posted, I'd rather go for the neon green or fluorescent yellow. I'd rather be seen than try to make a fashion statement.

Agreed, both my rain jacket and gilet are bright yellow, I bought relective tape and had that stiched onto the back of both jackets as well as a strip down my camelbak. Why take a chance by not being as visible as possible?

This might be a Cape Town wind issue, but if you could decrease the arm diameter as well? Most of the jacket arms flap very badly in wind. Also, make sure the back end goes low enough to catch the spray from rear tyre. Must also be washable without the colour fading too quickly. Commuting takes its toll on a bike, but clothing just as much, especially when used every day...water"proof" pocket also a nice add-on.

When it comes to bike fashion go bright, why would you want to blend in?

We get to dress normal everyday off the bike, riding is a chance to just have fun with our getup. ;)

This might be a Cape Town wind issue, but if you could decrease the arm diameter as well? Most of the jacket arms flap very badly in wind. Also, make sure the back end goes low enough to catch the spray from rear tyre. Must also be washable without the colour fading too quickly. Commuting takes its toll on a bike, but clothing just as much, especially when used every day...water"proof" pocket also a nice add-on.

That was some of our major areas for concern and we have ensured a nice fitted, yet not too tight fit, sleeve and we also lowered the "tail" to try and sort out that bum spray factor.

As for the pocket... Because this is a waterproof fabric, our logic is that you rather put your valuables in your cycling jersey underneath and cover everything with the jacket.

Looks like some very nice jackets!

I don't really have a waterproof one, but a blue windbreaker type semi water resistant with reflective strips.

Goes down low to catch most, but not all of the water from the rear tyre.

another idea, are they foldable? Like so you can fold it up and tuck it into a small space in say, your camelbak? For when the rain stops???

Keep us posted :thumbup:

Looks like some very nice jackets!

I don't really have a waterproof one, but a blue windbreaker type semi water resistant with reflective strips.

Goes down low to catch most, but not all of the water from the rear tyre.

another idea, are they foldable? Like so you can fold it up and tuck it into a small space in say, your camelbak? For when the rain stops???

Keep us posted :thumbup:

They fold up really nicely...

post-44485-0-56355100-1370350902_thumb.jpg