2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

On the entry fee story - yes it has increased fairly substantially, but so have the costs of running this event, it really is a logistical feat of note - and there is currently no headline sponsor.

hmmm, my 2008 entry was R9600, so it's double in five years.

reckon all the big multi-day races have had larger increases. that red bank one comes to mind.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Dusty - hope you find lots of dust,, because mud sure aint your friend.

This was my kit in 2011, in 2012 I wised up and left more out - it really helps to have less.

Always some interesting kit variations - the bivvy bag Steve refers to - eish I am not so sure of that - it is bloody cold at night and a poor nights sleep in some hole is not a good way to recover - for unplanned stops ok - but then you are already in for a very uncomfortable couple of hours before the sun comes up - planning to sleep out is brave

post-1509-0-11937200-1371026712_thumb.jpg

Thanks for these updates tubed and all others... It is fantastic to follow this great race from afar, keep them coming :) I would love to do this someday!

Tim James setting the Race to Rhodes alight - he is headed for Support Station2 tonight and probably through the night until he has to sleep - he is known for finding a hole next to the side of the road. Will try and update a bit later. This 50+ gentleman is doing something special. This was probably taken earlier today by Martin Dreyer while Tim was climbing out of the Umkomaas Valley in the heat of the day, by now it will be well close to freezing and he will be riding by light, it is going to be a very cold long night en route to Ntsikeni and beyond.

post-1509-0-44019100-1371056822_thumb.jpg

is that a GPS thingy on his handlebars

He doesn't need a GPS, there's few people who knows the route as well as he does. My guess is a light

Day 4 (yesterday)

Sorry the update is a bit late - trying to work.

As mentioned above Tim James on route to Rhodes shot off and ended up at Ntsikeni for the night, that's about 200km in one day, I am not sure on the total ascent but it is probably in the region of about 4000m. So a huge day, but then he went to sleep and as far as I can ascertain hasn't been seen on a tracker since - the battery has probably died, but the chatter on twitter is that he slept late.

Last year Martin Dreyer did a similar move, but even though he was in at Support Station 2 after midnight he only slept for a couple of hours and was on the move again at about 5am - so either something is up with Tim or he has a different strategy - whatever the case he has time to make up as far as I can see if he wants to break Martins record into Rhodes.

The other notable events were two groups either falling off the day to day pace or taking a rest day at a support station - it is very early to be doing that and it may indicate a miscalculation of just how tough the event is. It is not nice to see guys struggle in this event as their is a real sense of camaraderie between the riders who try and help each other out through the tough times - but it remains an individual event and one has to carry on or fall behind yourself.

John Loos (FNB's economist - he is probably more useful out in the bush on his bike than he is trying to predict the rand right now), and his riding partner Paul Erasmus continued their charge for Paarl, but again the info is a bit scarce today, but it does seem that they have split up with Paul continuing and John dropping back.

The attached pic is of Eric Tollner on day one picking his way along the Umkomaas banks before he finds a place to cross.

Another update on day 5 a bit later.

post-1509-0-10163500-1371128438_thumb.jpg

Just heard Tim James has withdrawn - that is sad - it is becoming a bit of a feature with the guys who go out very very hard from the start - illness, knee problems etc.

He was certainly fit enough - but as I mentioned yesterday - to go from a full sweat to freezing cold in a matter of minutes as the sun goes down and added to that the body is extremely fatigued is not a good recipe.

Hope he is still able to ride on to Rhodes.

Just heard Tim James has withdrawn - that is sad - it is becoming a bit of a feature with the guys who go out very very hard from the start - illness, knee problems etc.

He was certainly fit enough - but as I mentioned yesterday - to go from a full sweat to freezing cold in a matter of minutes as the sun goes down and added to that the body is extremely fatigued is not a good recipe.

Hope he is still able to ride on to Rhodes.

Just saw this now. looks like he had some gastro issues. Not sure if he'll sit it out for a day or two and ride on to rhodes at leisure pace. Tim actually did the CTR(similar type of race, 500km denver to durango over some sick terrain) last year and also got sick. problem there was that he had freeze dried food that he was cooking and didn't realise that the silicon sachets for drying it were still in the packet as he was heating it up on his little stove. eina!

Interestingly it is about 5800m of climbing over ~195km to ntsikeni. that's a bloody mad long way to go with a pack on in one shift. i was buggered when i did it over 38hours.

martin's record of 2days7hours looks good for another year

so this oke looks like he's ready to race, HARD!

https://twitter.com/vdheeverc/status/345191948350533633/photo/1

christo van heerden.

must say, for the past few years the RACE snakes have been put in the last batch and the winner has come from the last to leave. this year the weather is good quite early so one of the early rabbits could get a big gap before hell breaks loose in the malutis with the quick okes battling through it.

Day 4 (yesterday)

Sorry the update is a bit late - trying to work.

As mentioned above Tim James on route to Rhodes shot off and ended up at Ntsikeni for the night, that's about 200km in one day, I am not sure on the total ascent but it is probably in the region of about 4000m. So a huge day, but then he went to sleep and as far as I can ascertain hasn't been seen on a tracker since - the battery has probably died, but the chatter on twitter is that he slept late.

Last year Martin Dreyer did a similar move, but even though he was in at Support Station 2 after midnight he only slept for a couple of hours and was on the move again at about 5am - so either something is up with Tim or he has a different strategy - whatever the case he has time to make up as far as I can see if he wants to break Martins record into Rhodes.

The other notable events were two groups either falling off the day to day pace or taking a rest day at a support station - it is very early to be doing that and it may indicate a miscalculation of just how tough the event is. It is not nice to see guys struggle in this event as their is a real sense of camaraderie between the riders who try and help each other out through the tough times - but it remains an individual event and one has to carry on or fall behind yourself.

John Loos (FNB's economist - he is probably more useful out in the bush on his bike than he is trying to predict the rand right now), and his riding partner Paul Erasmus continued their charge for Paarl, but again the info is a bit scarce today, but it does seem that they have split up with Paul continuing and John dropping back.

The attached pic is of Eric Tollner on day one picking his way along the Umkomaas banks before he finds a place to cross.

Another update on day 5 a bit later.

Gr8 updates guys

BTW what pedals is the dude in the cow kit (Eric Tollner) using?

They look almost like duathlon quick change pedals??

Gr8 updates guys

BTW what pedals is the dude in the cow kit (Eric Tollner) using?

They look almost like duathlon quick change pedals??

Hi SwissVan, they are cages/toeclips and straps, Eric is an accomplished trail runner, so he is in his trail shoes, he tried clipless pedals but for the amount of walking he will be doing its a good option. btw thats the first time I have ever seen him in lycra - he is scared things show :eek: and doesn't want to be embarrassed. PS: as a tougher puffer winner Eric could run to Paarl with the bike on his back

Hi SwissVan, they are cages/toeclips and straps, Eric is an accomplished trail runner, so he is in his trail shoes, he tried clipless pedals but for the amount of walking he will be doing its a good option. btw thats the first time I have ever seen him in lycra - he is scared things show :eek: and doesn't want to be embarrassed. PS: as a tougher puffer winner Eric could run to Paarl with the bike on his back

Thanks Tubed

He looks like a strong oke