2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

Thanks Ilana, I had the pleasure of spending time with Andrew last year as he followed us for about 4/5 days on his GS, I think few people know what an accomplished photographer he is, I still hope to chat about that in the coming days. My family and friends had the race brought alive last year by his world class camera work - I am hoping to do a bit of that with words this year, but they say a picture tells a thousand words and in Andrew's case that is the truth.

You are doing a good job. Thanks.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The race office has updated the current positions, its a bit confusing as they start separately, so the best way to look at it is the rate of travel which is how this has been sorted. This now does represent a pretty good idea of the race and how they have fared. I would still add to this list Marnitz Nienaber who is still in it.

Interesting to note is that at current pace the Dreyers are set to beat Martins record last year - that is simply inconceivable, but I am getting used to the thought of what Jeannie might be capable of. As has been said before this is the perfect storm or the lack thereof in terms of weather - so they will be pushing for as long and as hard as they can while it lasts.

Also to note that all of these riders are quite close together on the trail - in previous years some of the faster guys have gone out in front and that has really caused all sorts of confusion as to who is really in the lead.

Robbie MacKintosh may fall off this list if he doesn't stop enjoying the race as much as he currently is - apparently he succumbed to the lure of Chesneywold Farm late this afternoon and hasn't been seen or heard of since - Minki's kitchen and Christo's (pictured) bar won that battle. Marnitz a far more wily competitor would have known of this trap and passed by with a courteous greeting. (I am not afraid to admit in my first ride I was too scared to stop there for fear of not making Slaapkranz over the portage on my own.) As you can see from the pic Christo harbours no ill feeling. (An Andrew King pic)

post-1509-0-83384900-1371756885_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-72066800-1371757317_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ilana, I had the pleasure of spending time with Andrew last year as he followed us for about 4/5 days on his GS, I think few people know what an accomplished photographer he is, I still hope to chat about that in the coming days. My family and friends had the race brought alive last year by his world class camera work - I am hoping to do a bit of that with words this year, but they say a picture tells a thousand words and in Andrew's case that is the truth.

He really does know how to bring the real story of these types of events to the people back home.

You are doing a great job with your updates. You having been there really gives it some meat and that makes it even more special to read. I'll call on your expertise when I decide to take on this crazy challenge :)

He really does know how to bring the real story of these types of events to the people back home.

You are doing a great job with your updates. You having been there really gives it some meat and that makes it even more special to read. I'll call on your expertise when I decide to take on this crazy challenge :)

*hijack on* sorry guys, this thread is to inspiring not to add to it

why don't you start small. join us on a little expeditionary trip .... here ... prince albert to ct ....???

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/127498-freedom-trail-route-tour/

Those interested in Andrew King's kit here are some pics. The bike is an 11kg carbon Focus, the main addition being the bespoke Graeme Murray saddle and his backpack is a feather weight option from Salomon weighing in at a mere 4.5 kg (minus drink and food). The integrated front pouch seems like a sensible option allowing racers to get to maps and snacks without having to take the pack off. Generally that is a very minimal kit for guy going all the way to Paarl.

correction, it's a CUBE

Andrew has either raced or filmed every FC edition since he did it in 2004. last year he swapped the video camera for a still and did it on his stinkbike.

I’ve got to just give a whoop whoop shout out to Tubed here.

Do this race and it’s hard not to become a ‘believer’ in it. I’ve jumped in and done some sort of overview/reporting to try and bring it closer to joe soap ever since. Last year Glenn Harrison got sick, pulled out on early days and jumped into a car and was given a laptop. The result was awesome and I was out of a job so to speak. I’ve got to say that Tubed is giving a similar sort of insight, and just encourage anyone who’s even mildly interested in what’s going on here to ask questions or pop along to www.freedomchallenge.org.za

My blanket is getting old, it’s still warm but I need more stories.

I’ve got to just give a whoop whoop shout out to Tubed here.

Do this race and it’s hard not to become a ‘believer’ in it. I’ve jumped in and done some sort of overview/reporting to try and bring it closer to joe soap ever since. Last year Glenn Harrison got sick, pulled out on early days and jumped into a car and was given a laptop. The result was awesome and I was out of a job so to speak. I’ve got to say that Tubed is giving a similar sort of insight, and just encourage anyone who’s even mildly interested in what’s going on here to ask questions or pop along to www.freedomchallenge.org.za

My blanket is getting old, it’s still warm but I need more stories.

Yes, in total agreement, thanks for the updates, news info regarding this awesome challenge! So informative and really exciting! Regrettably and unfortunately should have been there this year, riding to Rhodes, but updates and info getting me pumped for next year! Cant wait to have this magical experience!

correction, it's a CUBE

Andrew has either raced or filmed every FC edition since he did it in 2004. last year he swapped the video camera for a still and did it on his stinkbike.

Oops - you would think I could read and not just write....

PS: many thanks for the kind words, hard act to follow and I still have your pics in my mind of your ride with Tim - not many can claim to have done that

the guys are getting really great weather this year

Hey Slowbee,

My intention was to try and promote the event unofficially. As your are a moderator, is there any way/ influence that we can perhaps bump this up to the features section. We are up to about 7600 views, so I do think it might justify it. But maybe those are paying members, I am not sure.

thanks

Hey Slowbee,

My intention was to try and promote the event unofficially. As your are a moderator, is there any way/ influence that we can perhaps bump this up to the features section. We are up to about 7600 views, so I do think it might justify it. But maybe those are paying members, I am not sure.

thanks

ja slowbee pin it. you owe us one for not being on the startline!

Hey Slowbee,

thanks

:blush: topic pinned ...

My favourite bed-time thread...thanks to all for their great contributions, this really makes you want to get out there and just ride ride ride...

Day 13:

I see the Race Office has begun blogging, Glenn has recovered from his Race2Rhodes and his blog can be found here

http://glennharrison...rt-21-june.html

As I mentioned previously, he writes well and I can’t see myself adding much to his race update. There are also no notable subsequent moves tonight. So what I will try and do is rather add some commentary and possible insight into what might be going on.

“The post Rhodes push through”

It is almost as if after a week or more of hard riding quite a few guys are catching their breath, licking their wounds and assessing their strategy going forward. There have been a few more withdrawals post Rhodes and this is not surprising or unusual. The reason for this is that after the elation of reaching Rhodes, there are a couple of long days with tricky portages - the sheer length on these days combined with a possible headwind means that you are starting and finishing in the dark. (see pic of schedule which allows you to work out your theoretical strategy, you will see that days 8,9,10 involve 3 long days with two being over 130km).

Why I mention this, is that these days see guys equipment and bodies taking real strain, and then all it takes is a bloc headwind and some equipment failure to really see the morale plummet and guys think of either resting for a day or quitting, often a rest and some introspection lead to a subsequent quit.

To give you an idea of what happens on days like these is that you generally get in at between 6-7pm or later, its dark and very cold, you arrive, introduce yourself to your hosts put your bike down and take your pack off – you have mixture of a sense of relief and a need to attend to yourself – the competing things are immediate food, finding if you have cell reception of any sort, where the sleeping is, where the showers are – is the water hot? and where your 2l ice cream box is – basically all these things are some sort of attachment to normality or home.

If there is cell reception you send a basic “I’m in, buggered, relieved, eat now, chat later, love you”. You then find your box, tear it open and see if there is anything special in it, you discard those things you are now sick of into the larger discard box, perhaps you go through that box in a flash, looking for something discarded or from an abandoned racer that you might treasure.

Then it is a quick eat or drink of a pre meal – usually soup or coke or something quick. You find your bed and unpack, dirty clothes left in a heap for later handing to your poor host to wash and try and dry before 5am tomorrow while you head off for a shower. You feel a 100% human after a shower and then you attend to any injury you may have and get as warm as possible and see if dinner is nearly ready. While you wait for dinner you might try and attend to your bike if there is anything niggling – but is usually too cold to go outside so you try and ignore it. Maybe have a catch up chat with the others guys out of the showers and re-live bits of the epic day, having a look at the maps and narratives for the following day.

Then you eat and drink and try and recover, chat to your hosts for as long as you can and the snoring starts at about 8:30 – 9:30 pm when you have organised your stuff for the next day so you can get going with minimal stress the next morning. You may also text/ call home if possible, some try and blog before they fall asleep, but that relies on seldom found data signals.

The next morning it is a very quick, dress (your half-dry but a bit cleaner clothes), eat the breakfast on offer, pack (now takes about 30 seconds) and say goodbye and head out into the dark.

What all of the above means is that there is not a lot of time for a massage, a trip to the riders lounge or down the bike service area - everything is functional and purposeful, aimed at getting further down the trail the next day. NOT all days are like this, but these three probably are and that’s why they are the tough ones when your rhythm, routine, resolve and determination need to trump introspection, negativity and trying to rationalise why its ok not to stick to the plan.

What is sure is that getting out the door the next day is the first step, then riding until the sun comes up and hits your back (you mostly travel west), hearing your phone beep in your bag as it hits a signal area and all those messages of support come flooding in and the first spectacular stop of the day when you realise you are already 20km into the day and you are riding with mates or simply that you are experiencing Freedom – then it doesn’t all seem too bad.

The last two pics are of a typical farm sign and a rare bokkie marker, the other is of the type of terrain - its not an area of the country where you look for bright colours and floral splendour to lift your spirit.

post-1509-0-57872800-1371843776_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-96376800-1371843777_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-86941200-1371843778_thumb.jpg