2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

Are any of the riders taking part in the extreme triathlon this year? Can't find any info online.

Edited by Nick.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tube, posted the link, carry it on there.

Moved most of the posts across, sorry if yours was deleted by mistake. My fingers work like my legs on a bike, slowly!

Are any of the riders taking part in the extreme triathlon this year? Can't find any info online.

"Dragging already tired legs to the start line were Leon van der Nest and Andries de Villiers who are looking to join the elite band of adventurers who have completed the Freedom Challenge Extreme Triathlon. The previous day these had run 75kms from Durban to Pietermaritzburg in the ultra distance Duzi Trail Run. They must get to the Diemersfontein finish in 23 days in order to participate in the Berg River Canoe Marathon."

Leon and Andre are bringing up the rear of the field and are tracking nicely - no problems at all. Leon has finished the FC before, in a year of epic cold weather, so he thinks he is on holiday right now.

Edited by tubed

Thanks for the updates on this thread, almost want to enter this event. Perhaps someone knows the answer to these two questions, 1. Are most FC riders on hardtails? 2. What percentage of participants are on 29 er's?

Saw Robbie Mac's bike at Linden before the event and he had a rigid front fork fitted with a light that runs on a dynamo, was told it was expensive, the light that is. When looking at a pic of his bike out on the trail it would seem he has gone with suspension up front.

Thanks

The bikes are mix of hard tails (reliability and light), soft tails (comfort) and for the increasing number of nutters the single speeds and rigid forks. Last year Gawie du Plessis rode with us on a hardtail, belt driven single speed with a rigid fork.

Would love to know now if Robbie is still loving the setup - he is loving the trail - but seems to have had some novice issues. Was reported last night to have heard the lions roaring close by in the bushes and had to then finally (again) be redirected to the overnight accomm at the game lodge.

Most are on 29ers, they are great for the open roads.

Most important of all is to know your bike backwards.

Edited by tubed

the evolution of FC bikes...

since the first ride in 2004, the following innovations have joined the trail as winning bikes.

hyperama special(joint winner)(2004)

giant rincon...pedalled with velskoen(2005)

a cracked ti hardtail/shared with a giant nrs(2006)

a full suspension spesh epic. alu, with the old type of shock pivot thing on the seatstay - prob 2004 model with v-brakes(2008)

DISK brakes..scott scale ds(2009)

29er hardtail(2010)

so we're waiting for the first carbon bike i think.

edit: in 2008, don't think there was a single 29er..five years later and it's all you see.

Edited by Shebeen

The bikes are mix of hard tails (reliability and light), soft tails (comfort) and for the increasing number of nutters the single speeds and rigid forks. Last year Gawie du Plessis rode with us on a hardtail, belt driven single speed with a rigid fork.

Would love to know now if Robbie is still loving the setup - he is loving the trail - but seems to have had some novice issues. Was reported last night to have heard the lions roaring close by in the bushes and had to then finally (again) be redirected to the overnight accomm at the game lodge.

Most are on 29ers, they are great for the open roads.

Most important of all is to know your bike backwards.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Plentipotential

Now that the distraction seems to be over - back to the race - thanks for staying with us.

Day 18:

Rain, Mud, Cold.

It has taken us 18 days to say those words - hard to believe. But this is now the Cape after all and it is mid winter, so welcome home chaps, albeit that they seem to be catching the tail of a front and the rest of the weekend and into next week looks good. It is possible that some riders may not see a drop of rain for the entire race.

The leaders have thankfully continued their relentless march and for the Dreyers the question seems simply to be where do they want to peg this record. They by all accounts has a pretty miserable and wet day though the Gamkaskloof and Anysberg, past Rouxpos where they thawed out for a bit and appear to be headed for the civility of Montague, they are getting close now.

Christo, Charles and Scott headed into the Hel and may be spending the night there, or resting up a bit before heading on to Anysberg.'

Elsewhere there doesn't seem to much other than regulation stuff.

I did like the comment that the men and Avril, (who has shown she has serious 'cred') were delving into plate sized steaks at Willowmore. That's understandable as when you exit the Baviaanskloof you feel like you are back in civilisation for a bit, your phone works, there is a TV in the room, you have your own room! and hell you can order from the bar! 3 Star has never felt soooo good.

Interesting aside is that while Johann Rissik was being detained elsewhere, literally and figuratively, riders had none other than racing legend, master trail builder and now bike mechanic - Glenn Harrison attending to their bikes - that's a first. By the way I suspect that Glenn will be riding past Rhodes next year as I am sure he is sick of people stripping his kit and bikes when he stops at Rhodes and they carry on. Correct me if I am wrong - but last year it was the computer, the saddle and something else (Sean and Casper), and this year he was relieved of his shoes (Guy). Perhaps he should open a bike spares service in Rhodes as a sideline to his writing.

PS: Robbie seemed to make it through a day without any navigation issues.

PPS: Anyone seen or heard of Marnitz? - its not like him to be quiet - maybe a stealth move on the go.

Looking forward to a normal day tomorrow with concentration on this thread..... lekker slaap Geo.

ok, back to the RACE!

the dreyer freight train are now solidly in front. they're cruising through ashton. on the menu is a ride to mcgregor(2hrs).kasra(3 hrs)trouthaven(7hours)stettyns and dutoitskloof to the finish(10hrs). They will probably take some short stops along the way but will most likely finish sometime sat am - that's damn convenient for supporters.

AFAIK this going to be the 3rd fastest time ever.

Martin Dreyer(2012) - 10days 14hrs

Alex Harris(2012) - 10 days and 23.99999 hours?

2013 finish - ~12 days 6hours

Alex Harris(2011) 12days 15 hours

The race for 3rd is kind of secured by Scott James. He's about 6hours behind the dreyers on the road, but started a day earlier. He's been riding with the joint 4th place riders - Christo van den Hever and Charles mansfield for the last 7 days and it's too late for any funny business.

In sixth is marnitz nienaber who is going for his 4th blanket i think. He started with christo and charles, on a tandem with his boet. they're hectic starting pace was too much for boet, and he swapped out onto his own bike and continued the charge. he might still try some games to overtake the other three after whitling the gap from over a day down to six hours it's grown again as he's rested up a bit.

[edit] got alex's 2012 time correct

Edited by Shebeen

Shebeen, what is the cut off time to the dam in the kloof ?

8am to be at the dam managers house. BUT since the WoW crew and a subsequent fire made the kloof a bit of highway it has been relaxed on request for quite a few people. the cut-off is to stop people from being stranded there in the dark...it's not so much of a concern as it was when initiated in circa 2006

Crunch time:

pictures, a table and a blog - well worth the look at

The picture = the unbelievable couple.

The table = the top two names have been on the road for the same number of days as the bottom two, being the two extreme triathletes who are no slouches, but ladies and gents that is a 1000km gap!

The blog - make up your own mind.

http://glennharrisonsa.blogspot.com/

post-1509-0-54796400-1372419096_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-21977300-1372419097_thumb.png

thanks for the compliments - this was the view from entering this very special place - it was a goosebump moment

I've ridden that road. It's truly a spectacular view. Pictures just don't do it justice