Training with rollers - Tacx Galaxia

cadenceblur

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MTB tyres sing like a new Ranger on the N1. I ride a road bike on the rollers just because it is quieter.

It is very easy to ride on rollers but you need to concentrate all the time otherwise you may ride off the side and through your flat screen TV.

I little secret in the begining is to look slightly ahead of your front wheel . As if you were on the road.

Also you can draw a line on the drum of the roller as a target to keep your wheel on.

I have reached a point where I can stand and sprint or ride without hands on the handlebar.

Great fun. A good workout and it sharpens your riding skills.

Thats some good core balance there mate... only on my 4th ride or so but certainly wouldn’t dare do no hands,would have no teeth . Today managed to stand for about 15 seconds to relieve my Crown Jewels....But was a tad wobbly to say the least . Could feel my core got a workout today as well.

Would guess mnt bike tyres would make a proper racket.....the gravel tyres were loud enough that my missus could hear me downstairs.

Rollers definitely make you concentrate more .

Edited by Pikey

Rollers are lekker. Reading this actually makes me miss mine. Sold them to get a trainer years ago. Definitely good developing a smooth and balanced pedal stroke.

MTB tyres sing like a new Ranger on the N1. I ride a road bike on the rollers just because it is quieter.

It is very easy to ride on rollers but you need to concentrate all the time otherwise you may ride off the side and through your flat screen TV.

I little secret in the begining is to look slightly ahead of your front wheel . As if you were on the road.

Also you can draw a line on the drum of the roller as a target to keep your wheel on.

I have reached a point where I can stand and sprint or ride without hands on the handlebar.

Great fun. A good workout and it sharpens your riding skills.

Have to say, I was nervous as **** with my first outing, but it wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'll get better. Stupid question: Over- or under- inflated tyres? I'm using my road bike,

Have to say, I was nervous as **** with my first outing, but it wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'll get better. Stupid question: Over- or under- inflated tyres? I'm using my road bike,

Over Pal. As over as you dare to go.

Over Pal. As over as you dare to go.

That's what logic told me. 8 bar is my new best friend. 

And on that note: does anyone have any experience retrofitting Tacx Galaxia rollers with a resistance unit? Something like the Minoura resistance unit (or even something "smart")?

I use these on my Galaxia .... 

Racermate Inc 1976 Wind Trainer

It's awesome, as I get a decent workout with some resistance while still enjoying the natural movement of the bike.

I've had the rollers for a while so standing up and sprinting is part of the workout now too.

Got the Racermate off ebay in May last year   :P  ;)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/03/going-old-school-using-bike-trainer.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDaFS_uL8UQ

Only need a powertap or powermeter now .. I use a speed and cadence sensor now with Zwift

post-20017-0-66398300-1586174084_thumb.png

Edited by EddieV

My fear! Heading off to hospital with a broken something!

Aside from wheelbase, would you say a MTB or road bike is easier?

sorry I realised I didn't answer your question. Its much of a muchniss.

But the short answer is the Road bike is easier

The long answer........................The MTB requires more power from you to keep it going and the wider tyre give you less margin for error i.e. your road is a lot narrower as a result. At low speed the MTB is easier but as you get going the road bike has more of a self correction built in ( the trail and head angles work better at higher speed than on a mtb.

Also because the MTB has such a long wheelbase they are almost always going to have the front wheel ahead of the top of the front drum. For maximum stability on the roller you want that front wheel contact patch just behind the apex of the drum.

If using the MTB on the roller, pump your tyres up to around 40psi. this helps to stop the bike oscillating during your pedal strokes. The less oscillation the less likely you are to be ejected into the accident.

Mentally the roller is also much more taxing. You are concentrating all the time. It gets better but its never going to be as stable as a trainer where the bike is fixed.

If a roller type trainer is appealing but you prefer to have more safety then the Feedback Sports Omnium and Blackburn RaceDay Portable trainer are the two best units. These use a folding A-frame that attaches to your fork (wheel out) and the rear wheel runs on the roller. The Omnium comes standard with adaptors for 12mm and 15mm thru axles for 100 and 110mm wide forks. There is also a Lefty adaptor for it sold separately.

Paragon technologies is the distributor.

The BlackBurn Race day is distributed by Omnico and also comes with the adaptors for thru axle bikes but there is no adaptor for Lefty.

max recommended pressure for the tyres. You don't want tyre bounce on a roller!!

sorry I realised I didn't answer your question. Its much of a muchniss.

But the short answer is the Road bike is easier

The long answer........................The MTB requires more power from you to keep it going and the wider tyre give you less margin for error i.e. your road is a lot narrower as a result. At low speed the MTB is easier but as you get going the road bike has more of a self correction built in ( the trail and head angles work better at higher speed than on a mtb.

Also because the MTB has such a long wheelbase they are almost always going to have the front wheel ahead of the top of the front drum. For maximum stability on the roller you want that front wheel contact patch just behind the apex of the drum.

If using the MTB on the roller, pump your tyres up to around 40psi. this helps to stop the bike oscillating during your pedal strokes. The less oscillation the less likely you are to be ejected into the accident.

Mentally the roller is also much more taxing. You are concentrating all the time. It gets better but its never going to be as stable as a trainer where the bike is fixed.

If a roller type trainer is appealing but you prefer to have more safety then the Feedback Sports Omnium and Blackburn RaceDay Portable trainer are the two best units. These use a folding A-frame that attaches to your fork (wheel out) and the rear wheel runs on the roller. The Omnium comes standard with adaptors for 12mm and 15mm thru axles for 100 and 110mm wide forks. There is also a Lefty adaptor for it sold separately.

Paragon technologies is the distributor.

The BlackBurn Race day is distributed by Omnico and also comes with the adaptors for thru axle bikes but there is no adaptor for Lefty.

Thank you.  That's very helpful.

Absolutely agree 1000%...... but that’s the best part of the rollers,I think time doesn’t quite drag as slowly . Coz gawd knows cycling and going nowhere is a bit tedious to say the least .

I may even buy my own set after lockdown ????

Absolutely agree 1000%...... but that’s the best part of the rollers,I think time doesn’t quite drag as slowly . Coz gawd knows cycling and going nowhere is a bit tedious to say the least .

I may even buy my own set after lockdown

The difference between mind numbing and bum numbing right there! 

I set rollers up next to the trellidor for max hand holds for when (not if) one of the mutts takes me out.

Hook up to a good music station and every 2 tracks I hop off for a quick set of crunches or push ups - gives butt and brain a break.

I set rollers up next to the trellidor for max hand holds for when (not if) one of the mutts takes me out.

Hook up to a good music station and every 2 tracks I hop off for a quick set of crunches or push ups - gives butt and brain a break.

Have learnt to stand for about 30 seconds to relieve the butt ache.... I just put in it a hard gear,clench my gut and concentrate on my pedal stroke for about 30 seconds ???? without death strangling the bars .

Not sure about the crunches and sit ups though.....kudos ????

Edited by Pikey