ECG and Athletes Heart Syndrome

It was a stress ECG. Cardiologist will be Dr Clive Corbet at Panorama. My first visit to him will be on Monday.

I will ask him to explain how I can get booked in for an angiogram without him personally having seen the ECG result and knowing that there are alternatives available.

The chain of events goes something like this

Endocrinologist says dodgy ECG and phones cardiologist.

Cardiologists receptionist asks me to get authorisation number from medical aid for angiogram and stents. Tells me I am booked in for angiogram at 6:30 on Monday.

Cardiologist has not spoken to me and is not available.

I am hoping that they at least intend to do some non-invasive testing first and only then will they consider angiogram. A very small possibility that they have requested angiogram authorisation just in case its needed, but then why tell me I am booked in?

Oh well, I can always throw my toys on Moday morning if I am unhappy and go elsewhere.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but angiogram and stents are not something to be sneezed at.At the very least the Cardiologist needs to sit down with you and explain everything especially the stent part.I don't care what anyone says but I will NEVER EVER have one of those put in me.Stents are often brushed over and patients just accept it because they like the idea of going home the same/next day.Ask him what are the patency rate of the stents,what stent he uses,how often HIS patients have to come back to be re-stented.What are ALL your options and most of all will you have to take plavix for the next year.

Good luck.

SB

I had an ECG yesterday as part of a set of tests to try and track down the reasons for recurring chest infections.

The ECG showed some anomalies and the doc has sent me off to get an angiogram, which is a little worrying.

I have no heart disease symptoms, low cholestrol (4.4) and ride more than 12000 km/y and just over 10 hours per week, but I would not consider myself an elite athlete, but do have a 2:53 Argus. I am 47.

I could have athletes heart syndrome (angiogram will tell), which is nothing to worry about. Many endurance athletes do develope this and the ECG readings are similar to heart disease.

Anybody else who is relatively fit had an anomalous ECG test?

P.S. if your resting heart rate is below 60, then an ECG test will red flag you ;>)

If I had an angiogram at the age of 45, an heart attack could have been prevented. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. Nothing to fear with a wonderul outcome in my case. Good luck

Before they book you in for anything, you need to sign an informed consent form - if you do not feel fully informed about the procedure, risks, reasons alternatives etc, then you should not sign anything, and get a second opinion - that is your right, and your responsibility to yourself and your family.

Before they book you in for anything, you need to sign an informed consent form - if you do not feel fully informed about the procedure, risks, reasons alternatives etc, then you should not sign anything, and get a second opinion - that is your right, and your responsibility to yourself and your family.

Thanks. I did not feel fully informed.

After booking in and getting ready for the procedure I requested a chat with the cardiologist before signing all the forms etc.

Cardiologist was a nice guy and after chatting agreed that an angiogram was way overboard, but had gotten the wrong understanding after his discussion with the referering doctor.

Redid the stress ECG and there is a slight blip under stress, but its also indicative of athletes heart syndrome.

Did a sonargram and the heart looks great. Slighly enlarged with thicker muscle walls, which caused the ECG blip, so all in order.

Lots of stress for nothing, but at least I have peace of mind now. Also a great way to make you stop and revaluate your life, but not one I would recommend ;>)

Thanks for all the advice once again.

Thanks. I did not feel fully informed.

After booking in and getting ready for the procedure I requested a chat with the cardiologist before signing all the forms etc.

Cardiologist was a nice guy and after chatting agreed that an angiogram was way overboard, but had gotten the wrong understanding after his discussion with the referering doctor.

Redid the stress ECG and there is a slight blip under stress, but its also indicative of athletes heart syndrome.

Did a sonargram and the heart looks great. Slighly enlarged with thicker muscle walls, which caused the ECG blip, so all in order.

Lots of stress for nothing, but at least I have peace of mind now. Also a great way to make you stop and revaluate your life, but not one I would recommend ;>)

Thanks for all the advice once again.

Glad you are good.... now go and get your prostate checked (its a blood test)... :)

wow stratus, hectic!

should I get your rate up and say I will pray for you ? :ph34r:

but this is a great thread, and what a flippen clever idea to keep a logbook diary type thingy ma bob ! brilliant idea

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread. I got an ablation this week. After xrays and mri scan dr confirmed that I have athletes heart. Is it possible to go back to training and racing as before. I will rest for a while though. Got irregular heartbeat before ablation.

I know this is an old thread. I got an ablation this week. After xrays and mri scan dr confirmed that I have athletes heart. Is it possible to go back to training and racing as before. I will rest for a while though. Got irregular heartbeat before ablation.

@webs

Consult with your cardiologist and sports physician.

The WebMDs here will intend well with feedback. Regardless, your medical team is the best place for guidance.

Sterkte. ????????

I had my ablation done in Sept 2018, went for my annual check up about 3 months ago, I had no episodes of irregular heart beat for 18 months (since my last check up) i am not a top athlete/racer but i have pushed myself into the red a couple of times.....i did take it slow for 6 weeks for the ablation to "heal" properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Not specifically related, but i have a low heart rate and seeing a doc about it as a general check. I am wearing Holter on for the next 5 days so they can check heart rate while sleeping, exercising etc. I also seem to have an occasional pause in my heart beating every 10 heart beats or so (after a treadmill run while on the ECG), the doctor was not overly concerned about it. 

I would like to observe my heart rate myself using a HRM, probably wrist based.

Question, is there a HRM that allows you to see the raw data of the heart rate, i.e. heart beats on one axis and time on a second axis. I do not want to see the average heart rate as that does not give me any real information about what the heart is doing in that particular period. Is there a watch or brand that allows you to see the raw data and not just the average heart rate.

Not specifically related, but i have a low heart rate and seeing a doc about it as a general check. I am wearing Holter on for the next 5 days so they can check heart rate while sleeping, exercising etc. I also seem to have an occasional pause in my heart beating every 10 heart beats or so (after a treadmill run while on the ECG), the doctor was not overly concerned about it. 

I would like to observe my heart rate myself using a HRM, probably wrist based.

Question, is there a HRM that allows you to see the raw data of the heart rate, i.e. heart beats on one axis and time on a second axis. I do not want to see the average heart rate as that does not give me any real information about what the heart is doing in that particular period. Is there a watch or brand that allows you to see the raw data and not just the average heart rate.

Not sure if the accuracy is good enough on any wrist based HRM for proper medical evaluation, but they are reasonably aaccurate to give you a good idea of whats going on. A chest strap is ideal, but not always comfy to sleep with.

sampling rates on the high end Polar/Suunto/Garmin etc devices can be set to be basically continious, and you can then export the data from the TCX or FIT file, and display it on an excel graph. 

I had an ablation after having WPW for many years.

It’s the only thing that allowed me start riding at any sort of training level.

My HR now often get over 200bpm and have not had irregular heart beats in years. But check with the doc, the rest period before training started was a year in my case.