Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

That should be butterflied already. Put it skin side down on an oven plate/cookie sheet, melt some butter in the mike, add jam (and garlic if you like) and baste it. About 20 minutes at 180 should do it - baste again at 15 minute mark and check for doneness. Snoek tends to be dry, especially if overcooked, but is also not great undercooked (like tuna likes to be done)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be butterflied already. Put it skin side down on an oven plate/cookie sheet, melt some butter in the mike, add jam (and garlic if you like) and baste it. About 20 minutes at 180 should do it - baste again at 15 minute mark and check for doneness. Snoek tends to be dry, especially if overcooked, but is also not great undercooked (like tuna likes to be done)

Nice one. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think so. Well, at least the head has been cut off! This is what it looks like:9f24d40a1a10cc9fe2114b8aead5d82a.jpg

Once you've tried the oven method its time to braai it.

(warning I braai this literally once a week so I'm overly keen on it)

1. Separate into two piece along the belly (you'll see a natural place to divide it) 

2. Remove skin (easiest done while fish is still slightly defrosted...should pull off easily with practice, almost all in one go)

3. Allow to defrost completely

4. Season one side with cajun spice and Aromat

5. Prepare some lemon butter

6. Put onto braai (in one of those fish braai grids) seasoned side down

7. Season other side with same spices

8. Turn once you can see the flesh starting to bubble along the sides

9. Baste in lemon butter while it completes to cook

10. Remove once done

11. Om nom nom nom

I’m going to try a thing they call the snake. You line the bottom of the webber with briquettes like fallen dominoes. You light it at the one end and put wood chips in the whole thing. I’m going to try this with a pork belly and see how it turns out.

I’m going to try a thing they call the snake. You line the bottom of the webber with briquettes like fallen dominoes. You light it at the one end and put wood chips in the whole thing. I’m going to try this with a pork belly and see how it turns out.

It'll go GREAT. 

Done it a few times like that. I found that with the top and bottom vents opened just a *touch* that temp stabilised at about 120deg C, which for a low and slow cook is bloody marvellous. 

You'll just need to take the lid off at the end to let the coals flare up again if you're wanting the crackling. Need to turn it fat side down for a bit. 

If you want an easier way of doing the crackling, cut the skin off before you put it on the weber, but place it on top of the belly again and cook it with the belly until it's ready to come off. Then, pre-heat your oven to the hottest it'll go, and when you're resting the belly or in the last half hour, pop the skin into the oven (after drizzling olive oil and salt on it) in an oven tray, raised on a cookie cooler tray thing. Easiest way of getting GOOD crackling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I discovered how easy it is to cook in a Romertopf clay pot I make roast chicken at least once a week. Throw in veg, spices, chicken and stock, crank up the oven and forget about it for a couple of hours.968fbe5f0c1fd1eb3827976b0165d7c0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Since I discovered how easy it is to cook in a Romertopf clay pot I make roast chicken at least once a week. Throw in veg, spices, chicken and stock, crank up the oven and forget about it for a couple of hours.

How did that snoek turn out ??

Eisbein for lunch. Boiled the pickled shanks in apple juice and beer with some chopped carrots and onions. Then into the oven for some roasting, last bit grill to crisp the skin. Lekkka with the sauerkraut mash and mustard

Tried something out the other night with chicken pieces that I did in our convection oven:

Poured some cooking oil in a bowl, then added the desired spices, then mixed the spices and oil together. I then dipped the chicken pieces into the oil, set it at the required time and temperature, and it came out quite lekker.

• 4 weeks later...

Our frikken convection oven packed up last night, so going to either visit Hirsch or Game for a new one. I assume that's what happens when you use a convection oven almost every night to thaw and cook the fish, chicken pieces etc. We could use the big oven, but the Mrs uses that for baking, and I use it for if I do an Eisbein.

To the Foodies...

I got some fresh tuna fillet. Apart from sushi, any suggestions please? (preferably for my Weber...)