Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Basic cookery principle right there.

Batter/breadcrumbs etc might taste nice but the primary reason they are there is to protect the food from too much direct heat.

And to think that I, descendant from a long line of fanatic braai gurus, who fought the whole of the British Empire for their freedom to grill meat over the open coals, had to learn that little trick from a Pom  :blush:  ;)  (Thought you'd enjoy that little confession :D)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you got springbok sirloins (rugstring) The real fillet is very small. With Springbok I keep it very simple:

Drizzle with plenty of olive oil, sprinkle a little salt and rub with something sweet, like fig preserve. I sometimes add a little balsamic vinegar, but no more than a little splash. Leave for a couple of hours if you can but I have also done it pretty much immediately (I think strong barbecue type marinades destroy the delicate taste of springbok.)

Make coals in the Weber, in the 2 side baskets. When coals grey and very hot, sear the springbok directly over the hot coals to seal it, Then put it in the middle over the drip tray, indirect heat in other words. Close lid with all vents fully open. Leave it exactly 20 minutes and remove meat. Cut in thickest part to see if it is right for you. I like mine pretty rare, definitely no more than medium-rare. Try not to over cook it, because it is lean and you don't want to lose the juices. Let it rest on a plank covered with a cloth for 10 more minutes. Cut up into thin slivers and serve. It will be very tender and not have a wild taste.

Joh!! Was sooooo good. Thanks DJR.

Not sure why I can’t upload pics but it was PERFECT! Thanks for the recipe.

Joh!! Was sooooo good. Thanks DJR.

Not sure why I can’t upload pics but it was PERFECT! Thanks for the recipe.

Delighted to hear. :thumbup:

Is there a thread on baking or anything related? Im looking for some advice on sourdough bread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Something a little out the box:

Whenever I'm out in the Swartland at this time of year, I find lots of stinging nettles. Not many people know that they are delicious. Of course you have to be careful how you pick them. (With gloves.) A decent sized shopping bag full will give you enough for 4 people. Pick the freshest part, the top of each stem, leave the older more woody part behind. There are several ways to prepare it, but the simplest is just to pour boiling water over it. The sting will disappear and it will look and taste like spinach. Perhaps I should say spinach with a bit more taste, sometimes a little nutty. You can also add cream as if making spinach. Sometimes my wife fries it in butter immediately after pouring the boiling water over it. Google for more recipes. Stinging nettles are known as a "famine food" ever since the great Irish potato famine but it tastes so good, perhaps it should get a new "classification"? 

post-17716-0-06458900-1597669089_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-18448300-1597669104_thumb.jpg

Whenever I'm out in the Swartland at this time of year, I find lots of stinging nettles. Not many people know that they are delicious. Of course you have to be careful how you pick them. (With gloves.) A decent sized shopping bag full will give you enough for 4 people. Pick the freshest part, the top of each stem, leave the older more woody part behind. There are several ways to prepare it, but the simplest is just to pour boiling water over it. The sting will disappear and it will look and taste like spinach. Perhaps I should say spinach with a bit more taste, sometimes a little nutty. You can also add cream as if making spinach. Sometimes my wife fries it in butter immediately after pouring the boiling water over it. Google for more recipes. Stinging nettles are known as a "famine food" ever since the great Irish potato famine but it tastes so good, perhaps it should get a new "classification"? 

I must try it.Suprized I have not before as I eat just about anything thats edible in the veld.Including some that were not so edible :thumbdown:

I have this valuable rare book on my shelf.Try a find a copy.Its worth it

post-523-0-61574500-1597682979_thumb.jpg

My wife regularly uses "brandnetels" in soup. Apparently it has medicinal qualities as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going to try the following over the weekend.

Worspot(No 3 potjie)

2kg wors.

2 Cans Relish. The spicier the better.

2 Cans of beer.

Chuck everything into potjie and cook over medium heat until the wors starts to break apart.

If the fluids are a a bit low, gooi another beer.

Also bake the potbrood during this time.

Finally, when you deem the worspotjie to be done, dish up and do a dip and slurp with fresh porbrood.

If there are any worspot left over, chuck in more fluids(beer and relish) and warm it up for breakfast.

Going to try the following over the weekend.

Worspot(No 3 potjie)

2kg wors.

2 Cans Relish. The spicier the better.

2 Cans of beer.

Chuck everything into potjie and cook over medium heat until the wors starts to break apart.

If the fluids are a a bit low, gooi another beer.

Also bake the potbrood during this time.

Finally, when you deem the worspotjie to be done, dish up and do a dip and slurp with fresh porbrood.

If there are any worspot left over, chuck in more fluids(beer and relish) and warm it up for breakfast.

The one thing I regret giving up in my divorce was my two No 3 Potjie's

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorting out the freezer we found this - minus label - so, a bit of a mystery, but in the end we decided that it was half an Eland sirloin. Just rubbed it in olive oil, a bit of salt and apricot jam (I believe all venison needs something a little sweet) and seared it over very hot coals, then left it in the Weber over a drip tray and with indirect heat for 30 minutes. rested it for 10 minutes before slicing it thinly. Medium rare. Perfect with mixed roast vegetables and a glass of two (or three......) of oldish wooded Chardonnay (made by a mate and sans label), but a slightly chilled red would have worked too (I was just unprepared). Simple and on the spur of the moment is sometimes best!  

post-17716-0-55870800-1609354498_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-44847900-1609354510_thumb.jpg