Scott Spark 29 Elite Frame cracked 2 times

Sybrandt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a bike shop that has dealt with Scott before concerning cracked frames. They have always been prompt and efficient. One of my dealings a few years ago was my own Scale 30 carbon frame which they replaced with a Scale 10 frame and it took no more than 2 weeks.

Edited by BigWheelMTB

Guess what? They crack too... :ph34r:

Right here

post-7810-0-83115700-1371022302_thumb.jpg

True, but Giant will replace the frame without issues, normally within a week.

I've had first had experience with their warranty replacement process and it is not what you would expect from a company which is the largest bicycle dealer in SA.

I love the Scott brand, but wouldn't buy one in SA as long as Probike (now called Scott Sport SA) are the importers.

Haven't heard of any Momsen failures, so glad I decided to go local!!!

Now that I think of it I could literally go and knock on Victors door and say "whats up with your frame buddy....."

Edited by sk27

Now that I think of it I could literally go and knock on Victors door and say "whats up with your frame buddy....."

Any bike can crack or break. Depends on how you use it.... Backup service on replacing such a broken frame now there is the real story.... Lack of backup can turn any pearl into a turd.

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=806&q=broken+carbon+fibre+bicycles&oq=broken+carbon+fibre+bicycles&gs_l=img.3...5198.14404.0.14658.28.16.0.12.12.0.277.1816.10j1j5.16.0...0.0...1ac.1.17.img.UgA5UWphe4U

Any bike can crack or break. Depends on how you use it.... Backup service on replacing such a broken frame now there is the real story.... Lack of backup can turn any pearl into a turd.

http://www.google.co...img.UgA5UWphe4U

Fully agree with you on the statement above, however there are specific models that are more prone to failure than would be considered normal that have been reported on this forum.

i.e: Giant anthem series, Scott 29erDS series, Silverback Vida HT series. These are the few I can recall off hand that come up quite often.

Brands I have not heard of problems from are Santa Cruz, Merida, Momsen, etc.

So you can make a calculated choice when looking at which are more prone to failure.

You're fortunate in that you have a one of a kind, never experienced any failure whatsoever, brand............

Just for the record I ride Aluminium as I do believe the carbon is more susceptible to failure.

Edited by sk27

Where did it crack? Also have the 29 Elite and LBS was told by Scott to make sure that bottom pivot point (near the crank) needs to be well maintained (lots of WD40 after washing). Said that if it isn't, the bearing seizes and the frame will crack.

Same thing happened to my mates SCOTT full carbon after 3 years. they replaced the frame (well Cajees replaced it)

Actually, this particular bearing is very exposed to water from both riding and washing. It is inevitable that it will seize, so make sure you check and change out this bearing regularily.

For example: I had the bearings replaced by my LBS in February as part of its yearlty warrenty service. Then after checking them just after Lowveld Quest in April, I replaced the bearings again as they had already seized.

Then 3 days befor Sani2C I did a final pre race check and noted the driveside chainstay cracked just adjacent to the BB/crank area. This item alone was replaced (with one that did not match the existing bike colour, but beggers cant be choosers)

It seems this is a problem area, but not unique to Scott - other bikes of similar design need to be regularily checked and serviced, with particular care taken at these bearing points.

Also had the same problem after The Lowveld Quest on my TREK Superfly 100. The bearings weren't seized but very close to it. I replaced them and now cover all the pivots with insulation tape which I replace every month. somewhere on the Enduro bearing website their is a video showing how you can remove the seals and dismantle the bearing, clean it out, polish the bearing surfaces and re-assemble. I don't have the time so I just replace all my pivot bearings every 3- 4 months irrespective of what condition they in.

The problem is, that when they seize, it's not going to be long before the frame cracks. the first sign of trouble is a slight creaking noise in your suspension. the minute you hear this, change the bearings ASAP

My next bike hopefully. Scott Scale 710.

Claimed weight limit on the Spark is 110kg, according to my google search. Strange how people are breaking them.

post-18770-0-69868100-1371040394_thumb.jpg

Momsen local... dont think so! went to LBS and asked about getting a momsen the reply was they waiting for a shipment in from Taiwan!!! maybe designed local. has anyone here been to the SA Momsen factory were the make the frames and assemble?

You can count on your one hand the number of companies that do make their own frames. It is how the cycle industry works. Most of the big brands contract companies in the east to make their frames

I have a Momsen warranty replacement frame (Al twen9) the new frame is busy cracking in the same place. I put it down to mass production and no quality control, but, I'm no expert.