Misleading Surgeons ! They don't give you the full story

Sam LTC

Guest Latent Blue
Jees Sam, way to piss people off. Your answers should be given by someone well versed in the sporting side of surgery and biokinetics. Just because an orthopod who is well versed in the act if doing the surgery and giving general answers it doesn't mean they'll have knowledge in the implications related to sport. Consult someone on the sports science institute. Don't open a thread like this badging orthopods as useless and incompetent. That's just uncalled for v
Plus. Your prognosis has a lot to do with how you decide to structure your recovery and how tenacious you are. You may just have the surgery and regain no movement cos you sat on your lazy ads all day instead of doing sports specific stretches etc.

This guy is speaking serious sense!!! Listen up

Got a mate who had n knee replacement. He is a bit more careful and wearing n knee guard but still enjoy his cycling. Did J2C, Wine2Whales etc after his op.

These hub bears are seriously highly strung....... I like the title. So much for freedom of speech

Your concept of freedom of speech is significantly flawed, peanut butter. Doesn't extend to saying whatever the hell you like and bugger the consequences.

Some people just don't seem to get it. They should read the constitution. Freedom of speech is not absolute.

SAM

Some more info will help with a more informed answer:

- How old are you?

- Why is the knee shot (is it for example from rugby injuries back in the day, previously torn menisci/ligaments, previous surgery, or a recent traumatic event (e.g. MVA))?

- What about the other knee, is that fine?

- Your weight will play a role, as the prosthetic knee will wear.

To answer some of your questions based on the response of "the above average physically active arthroplasty patient":

- Should you be able to stand whilst pedaling? - Yes, it will (should) not be limited by the prosthetic, but by the rehab you did post-op, and the strength you have gained in your quads and glutes.

- Does it enable perfect cycling? - Based on the points listed above, you should be able to cycle again with little or no problems. Cycling is generally prescribed to active patients (like runners) who had a replacement and should not return to running.

Some pertinent questions/comments you should consider:

- Should you return to MTB? Yes, you may (should) be able to, but perhaps you should stick to road. Depending on the surgical approach, some of the prostetic parts may become dislodged during a high-inpact crash (and the risk is greater in MTB than Road)

- If you do want to return to cycling, ensure that you get your cleat setup 100%. You MUST get something with lots of float (perhaps speedplay) to allow better biomechanics in the replaced knee to minimise wear.

The surgical technique (alignment of the new prosthesis with the femur, and the tibia) makes an enormous difference and could prevent you from ever cycling again. Even though this is planned out in advance by the surgical team, it is not always viable in-theatre to do what was planned, so they may need to compromise. This will allow a better functinal knee, but that "function" may not include a large amount of cycling. (Keep in mind this is the exeption rather than the rule).

- The prosthetic knee has a limited lifespan, and one can typically have one revision in a knee. If that knee is abused it will wear faster. (abuse is not the same as use). A knee generaly will last 10-15 years. With regards to getting the surgery now or later? Depends on the rest of your body (see all the questions at the beginning of this post), and how much pain you currently have. Will 2 artificial knees last you for the rest of your life?

I hope this helps.

[if you want I can put you in contact with a surgeon in the Jhb area that plans and performs the surgery based on 3D modeling pre-operatively with completely customised prosthetic replacements based on your MRI findings.]

PM me if you want to discuss in private.

Good luck!

Edited by seven

Guest Latent Blue
Your concept of freedom of speech is significantly flawed, peanut butter. Doesn't extend to saying whatever the hell you like and bugger the consequences.

With freedom of speech every person has the responsibility also to count their own words and think before they speak! Everyone just want their rights and forbet about their responsibilities!

I have consulted 3 well known orthopedic surgeons on the prospects of being able to ride MTB after surgery to replace one knee joint. Well I just cannot get a clear answer, which is incredibly frustrating !!

Of course there may be unforseen complications and so forth. And of course I don't expect any guarantees. But at least I should be able to get some sort of broad overview and expectation. Can they just not tell me about the experiences of their other nameless patients and why not ??

So I appeal to other cyclists, who may have had a knee joint replacement.Can you give me the benefit of your hindsight ?

I would like to know how a knee joint replacement affects subsequent mountain biking ?

Should we have the surgery earlier rather than later ? Are most people happy or disappointed with the results ? Does it enable perfect cycling ? Or should one expect to have permanent limitations and some sort of disability ? Are you able to stand whilst pedaling uphill or are you confined to only sitting in the saddle for the whole ride ?

Are there any regrets and disappointments after having the knee joint surgery ? What pitfalls can be avoided with the benefit of hindsight. Any tips ??

if knee replacements enable perfect cycling then I will take two thanks because with my good knees my cycling is nowhere near perfect.

SAM, I missed the whole getting angry bit, but after dealing with ortho's and physio I can fully understand and relate to being mad, being held in the dark etc.. upon my questions about cycling, running and boxing after knee surgery, I got a no. after asking about pain when I crouch I got told " you can walk, you are fine" so yes, foul language and ill tempers are in the order of the day. I had a torn acl, repaired meniscus and bruised femur. op to repair meniscus was done in nov, no more acl no recon. I can cycle fine and even started jogging again (against dr's orders but it works for me - just have to deal with other muscles that over compensates).

I did a lot of research and found many information about people who went back to jogging after full knee replacements. So I really don't think cycling would be an issue.

points of interest

Sports science institute is probably your best bet (also, when going to a phsyio - look for one that specializes in sports otherwise you are going to waste you time)

take it easy with the recovery, start slowly and very gently build yourself back... aim for 9 months recovery time

start with physio as soon as possible.

the last point, I think makes the major difference, and is why I like ssi in cape town. traditionally dr's will keep you in a brace with restricted or no movement for 6 weeks. in these 6 weeks your knee will do alot of healing but you will also grow stiff and have no flexibility as well as a wasted quad muscle. (not sure if it will go exactly the same )

with SSI you go in and out on the same day and start with rehab the very next day. I think that counters the issue mentioned above and helps plenty with retaining flexibility and muscle structure.

An prtheadic surgeon wont volunteer such information...

Long story short::: they fix stuff and hope it lasts... thats it.

Secondly if you cycle and get hurt you will sue them (well someone somewhere will)!!!

What you need is someone with a DEGREE in SPORTS MEDICINE... he will be able to give you a proper answer

I have a degree in sports medicine too... (UCT '87) although I don't do elective rehabilitative knee surgery, and I am not an orthopaedic surgeon - I would be hesitant to comment on what the long term prospects post knee replacement are - there are just too many variables involved at first glance, and I cannot say it is something I have ever researched. I am sure that a successful result and rehab will allow you to ride - just to what level I have no real idea.

My standard rule of thumb is always to leave surgery to a last resort, and if you can live with it without the surgery, then do that - as long as possible - even if it means learning to swim or paddle or some such. Living with it might well mean not riding a bike intensively at all.

That said - I would get several opinions on what the diagnosis is, and what the alternatives might be for rehabilitation before considering replacement surgery - it's a big deal - do your homework first.

These hub bears are seriously highly strung....... I like the title. So much for freedom of speech

like a horse, you mean?? :eek: :eek: :whistling:

Sorry.... misread your intention....

I'm afraid, based on past experience, I find the heading to be very true .... I was in a car crash and it is impossible to find out what happened to me!!

obviously a blow to the head for starters.

Edited by zuludog