road wheels

rock

usually road wheels are juts whatever comes along riwh the bike.....now considering putting some thought into them.

with MTB wheels I've always gone for the lightest I could afford with some consideration for durability (example last 26" wheels I went with hope hubs over AC but still with the lightest rim/spoke pairing I could get and last paur of 29ers I went the 'out the box' route with Crest/330's)

seems with road wheels aerodynamics and stiffness play a role along with weight.

I'm not going to spend a fortune.

I cant hold my bike upright in the wind so no deep sections.

here's your chance to punt your favorite - was looking at wheels like Ultegra 6700, AC Sprint 350, Customs built ZTR 340's, Shimano RS80?

thanks experts.

I would consider a custom build wheelset as you can choose the rims, spokes and hubs according to your requirements, especially if you are a heavier rider

IMO I have found Mavic SLS to be best all round in terms of weight and price. Aluminium brake surface, so no fancy pads needed. Light at just under 1400g. Reliability and a good brand. A pair of Zipp 202's at that weight is over R20000.

thanks - not a heavy rider, around around 60kg - the idea started with a custom build and started to look a little pricey so want to see whats out there out of a box, but seems every wheel has someone raving about them and complaining.....

must say the ultegra seem great value and are tubeless....a little futureproof.

but then again wheels are the last chance to lighten my bike.

What's the budget you're looking at and will these be all rounders or race wheels only. Also what riding do you normally do: just cruising, races, triathlon, time trial.

Pre built.......American Classic Aero420.

Custom....Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims.....not the lightest but very strong.

Wheels should be first option to go lighter, rotational mass, power to weight ratio. Btw, Conti Gp4000s and Vittoria CX clinchers are about the lightest tyres you can get. About 205-210g per tyre.

Pre built.......American Classic Aero420.

Love them. They are fast, light and strong. Run them all the time for races and training and not a bad word to say about them.

Know it's a bit vague but there was a thread before the crash about some really well priced, light carbon wheels that were about the same weight and were getting rave reviews. Great price to.

Custom....Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims.....not the lightest but very strong.

have that exact build and very happy with them. But at 80kgs I'm heavier than you Rock so strength is a factor for me.

What's the budget you're looking at and will these be all rounders or race wheels only. Also what riding do you normally do: just cruising, races, triathlon, time trial.

lets say 5k for argument sake....never understood the idea of race wheels, I want to ride the best stuff I have whenever i ride my bike.......i ride the bike on the road as fast as I can usually. Which is not very fast......so all round training wheels.

lets say 5k for argument sake....never understood the idea of race wheels, I want to ride the best stuff I have whenever i ride my bike.......i ride the bike on the road as fast as I can usually. Which is not very fast......so all round training wheels.

You might want to add Fulcrum/Campagnolo to your shopping list as they are well build durable wheels Edited by LOOK695

been using a set of egde designs xr300 as training wheels for a short while and no complaints so far, weighing in at 1490g priced at R2350. with a weight limit of 95kg

I'm no expert, just thought I'd share this