Cycling South Africa clarifies misconceptions regarding the Cycle Tour

Matt

Reads a bit like a Fat Pat press release. Big on denial.

Take this sentence:

"The UCI has a rule that prohibits Elite riders from competing in events that are not sanctioned by the National Federation. Elite license riders and teams may be fined or sanctioned by the UCI for doing so, and as the national federation Cycling SA needs to ensure our riders are not placed at undue risk."

Worldwide it has not been enforced, in the US this season US Cycling stated they wanted to enforce the rule and the outcry was massive. Resulting in no change to the practice. In SA, CSA claims UCI does the fining? Is this true?

We also encourage each cyclist to become a member at only R75 per annum, which is far less than the R250 charged by the Pedal Power Association.

How stupid do they think we are. If I add the R6.00 per rider fee for all the events I enter, which obviously the organisers add onto my entry fee then I am effectively paying a lot more for membership than R250 per year.

Currently our Para-cyclists have returned from two UCI World Cups with 5 silver medals, 1 bronze medal and the points jersey, an achievement all South Africans can be proud of.

Who paid for them to go and take part in these events?

Cycling SA is bound by rules governing the sport of cycling as set by the UCI (International Cycling Union). Cycling SA has been in good standing with the UCI since 1936. The UCI has a rule that prohibits Elite riders from competing in events that are not sanctioned by the National Federation. Elite license riders and teams may be fined or sanctioned by the UCI for doing so, and as the national federation Cycling SA needs to ensure our riders are not placed at undue risk.

The way I understand this rule, is that it is not only elite or pro riders, it is all license cat. that are affected. so that means I as a recreational cyclist can get fined or suspended.

And pray, please tell me, what is CSA doing to fight or protect the cyclist from this dumbass rule, because it is creating huge frustration on an international level. USAC the American equivalent of CSA is fighting UCI on it. But I suppose CSA will simply roll over and play dead and let UCI wag the dog here.

This article is interesting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-postpone-enforcement-of-rule-1-2-019

A wholly lot of BS!

We are not all idiots...

Why not work with PPA? Why write them out of your constitution? Does PPA not give you a wack of our money? Do you not force us, even as funriders to pay a CSA day fee or annual fee?

You hate PPAs power and that they don't bow before you.

I bet CSA can stop the Cycle Tour from continuing if they wanted. Blackmail...

Many of the 21000 members are forced to pay membership to enter events.

There are just very little visible evidence of CSA trying to do their jobs. CSA will always have a smaller income if this continues.

If UCI has a rule that prohibits Elite riders from competing in events that are not sanctioned by the National Federation and the National Federation is CSA, then CSA just has to sanction the event. Or am I pissing in the wind?

Bah humbug, CSA doth protest too much methinks. Let them argue their dodgy merits in the Cape High Court, they are after all the antagonists in the battle for Cape Funrider cash.

Should they ban the tour ,it may be our Q to show them the collective power of cyclists all over SA by saluting them with the middle finger.(Mnet bowed to pressure of Hubbers on the Paris Roubaix) and that was a spontaenous re-action, what can we do when we organise???

I know what is clear to me.....you dickwads have no idea what is good for Our country who gives a **** what happens with the average fun rider....I want to see more saffas competing in International events

As a average fun rider I do not see the CSA doing a single thing for me. I lived in the WP and participated in PPA races there, these were properly organized and seeded. Have since moved to Gauteng, no PPA, the seeding in most races here is a joke. So I did not mind paying R250 to the PPA.

Do I care abou a bunch of paraplegic cyclists winning medals, no not really. Means absolutely zero in my life.

Cycling safety is a joke, at least in Cape Town they have cycling lanes.

So what does the CSA do for me?

Thanks CSA, for again bringing the Msunduzi Road Challenge to Pmb. If just for this race, my R75 has been well spent. While at it, thanks as well to Cycling KZNand all the hard working people in the back ground that have major impact in cycling, here in our neck of the woods.

A thankless job, well done. http://csams.cyclingsa.com/media/13147/cyclingsa_email_header_event_communique.jpg

Dear Curwin Francis,

Msunduzi Road Challenge set to rock Pietermaritzburg in October

20 June 2013 - Preparations are in full swing ahead of the anticipated second leg of the 2014 UCI World Cycling Tour (UWCT), the Msunduzi Road Challenge, to be staged in South Africa once again from 26 to 27 October 2013.

The UWCT serves a dual purpose of offering the road cycling enthusiast a chance to cycle the scenic routes with full road closure, as well as provide the seasoned competitor an opportunity to qualify for the once-off UWCT Final in 2014, previously known as the UCI Masters Road World Championships.

http://csams.cyclingsa.com//media/20824/uwct_final_2012_tt_lynette_burger.jpg

This year’s event is the only qualifying event in Africa for the 2014 UWCT Final, which will be held in the Slovenian capital, Ljubljana.

The new lap-race format will be true to World Championship-style racing as opposed to the previous out-and-back course, and the event offers a road race and a time trial. The time trial course will be the same that was used in the UWCT Final in 2012, a 25km loop with start and finish in Wartburg. This year’s road race will also take place in Wartburg, and offers a 40km loop that was used during the 112km race in the UWCT Final in 2012. This loop has to be done twice for men above 50 and women above 40, and twice plus the 25km TT route for men below 50 and women below 40.

http://csams.cyclingsa.com//media/20829/uwct_2012_road_race_peloton.jpg

Routes:

• Time Trial: 25km – Men and Women
  • Road Race: 2 laps of a 40km loop making up 80km, or 2 laps of a 40km loop plus the time trial route making up 107km (dependent on age category)

The core of the organisational team are the same people that have been responsible for other major successful world-class events in Pietermaritzburg over the past number of years, including the 2009, 2011 and 2012 UCI Mountain Bike World Cups, 2009 and 2011 UCI BMX Supercross World Cups and the 2010 UCI BMX World Championships, as well as the 2012 UWCT Final.

Proposed Event Schedule:

Friday 25th October

• 10am - 5pm Rider Registration

Saturday 26th October

• 9am - 1pm Time Trial Competition
  • 10am - 4pm Rider Registration (Road Race)

Sunday 27th October

• 8am - 2pm Road Race

Entry Info

Entry fees for all distances will be as follows:

• Time Trial - R 120.00 incl VAT ($ 25.00 or € 20.00)
  • Road Race - R 200.00 incl VAT ($ 35.00 or € 25.00)

Click here for detailed information about the Msunduzi Road Challenge, including, route maps and profiles, and general information on Pietermaritzburg as the host city; and start training to be part of another great Cycling SA event.

For general enquiries, please email Alec Lenferna alec@realem.co.za, and for event enquiries please emailevents@cyclingsa.com. Online entries will open 15 August and close on 14 October 2013, and will be affected through the website at www.msunduziroadchallenge.co.za. Late entries will be charged a R75.00 surcharge.

ENDS

Photos:

South African women's cycling star Lynette Burger was one the standout performers when she claimed gold in both the time trial and the road race in the women's 30-34 category of the 2012 UCI World Cycling Tour Final in Pietermaritzburg. Photo credit: Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

The peloton heads up Table Mountain hill on the way out of Pietermaritzburg at the start of the 96km road race during the 2012 UCI World Cycling Tour Final in Pietermaritzburg. Photo credit: Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

Click here to unsubscribe

I know what is clear to me.....you dickwads have no idea what is good for Our country who gives a **** what happens with the average fun rider....I want to see more saffas competing in International events

As a average fun rider (which the Argus was meant for) I kinda care. Why should the "funrider" championships of the world come under threat so that "more saffas" can compete in international events. Also why should fun riders be expected to pay for the administration of "elite" sport and then still be dictated to on how their events be run so as to accomodate these "elite" primo donna's. The Argus organisers should retaliate and ban all licenced cyclist from the event.

While we on this point of international competetition, why is it that people selected to compete internationally still have to pay for their own expenses? Why as SASCOC not extended full national colours to age-groupers in many sports?

and finally

If CSA was really serious about cycling, what have they done about road safety lately?

Like to know if Antoo got a reply on his e-mail ? I am yet to receive a reply back from them , maybe because I am seeded in the X batch ?

I love this bit...obfuscation at it's best!

Pedal Power’s stance that Cycling SA has done little on road safety is in itself incorrect. Cycling SA acknowledges that PPA has invested a large amount of work and money in this area in the Western Cape. Cycling SA does not lay claim to that. It must be recorded though that Cycling SA is the sports federation in its own right and not in competition with PPA. There has been lobbying for cycle lanes all around the country, as well as safety campaigns, orchestrated by volunteers who make up Cycling SA affiliates.

BUT CSA themselves have most likely done nothing

I accept that all sport need a governing body to administrate elite sport. Best they do that then. The Argus is not about elite athletes - CSA should piss off!