#theJoziCode

Uni

I honestly don't understand the fascination to rides bikes in jhb central. Same with critical mass, which is brilliant, been to a couple myself and enjoyed it, however, they keep on taking it through more and more dodgy area's, people getting mugged, girls getting felt up, all in hillbrow, sure it can happen anywhere, but come one it's much more likely to happen in areas like Hillbrow. CM is about raising bike awareness but seriously who rides in the jhb town on their bikes? Does it not make more sense to do CM where people are actually riding, and would want to commute to on bike. Sandton comes to mind. At the moment IMO CM, and all the rides that goes around it, is all very posing, people trying to be hipsters on fixies, in town cause that's where it happens in NYC, SF, London, etc. This is JHB our situation is different, do the rides, where people ride.

My thoughts on this. I've never ridden a CM, - not from a criminal security sense - but rather for the safety of cyclists around me - i'm not group friendly (steering issues) - but I was hoping to later this year. The feedback from the last ride was scary and unfortunate. IMO, the problem with CM is that it's become too large for what really is an unorganized event. It really is silly to ride through Hillbrow on a Friday night because of the high density living, Friday being payday for many - and then resulting in drunken behavior. In terms of opportunistic criminals, like muggings, and getting groped - that's not on, but again the numbers of people will result in bottlenecks, and unfortunately, the masses at the back are open to harassment.

In terms of calls for riding through areas like Sandton rather than the CBD, most people do that anyway, on their weekend rides. With the recent urban renewal projects - there's so much going on in downtown joburg that is awesome, but until people lift the veils preventing them from adventuring out of their comfort zones, they're going to miss out.

Every time we leave our house, or even when we're in it, we're at risk of being robbed, killed. Every time we get in our cars, we're at a risk of being in an accident. Walking in Sandton from the Gautrain station to the mall could result in a mugging/groping - I think we all need to be careful, but we can't live our lives fear based. The Tour de Jozi guys have opted to not ride through Hillbrow ( and i'm grateful ) - and we are running on a sunday morning which I think is better. (less ppl on the roads)

At the end of the day, i guess it's up to everyone to weigh up risk vs gain and decide what they want to do.

I'll be there.

Sorry I must be completely out of the loop, what happened at the previous CM?

Sorry I must be completely out of the loop, what happened at the previous CM?

All over FB . People got mugged , cyclists attacked other people , the pub ran out of booze (ok this happens everytime) .

Thankfully the Jozicode is happening early on a Sunday morning so town will be quiet and it will still be to early for a Beer. (Unless we find a train to pass!)

I've never done a Critical Mass ride and although it sounds like fun, night rides with on crowded streets with booze just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't think the the two rides can really be compared to each other.

Every time we leave our house, or even when we're in it, we're at risk of being robbed, killed. Every time we get in our cars, we're at a risk of being in an accident. Walking in Sandton from the Gautrain station to the mall could result in a mugging/groping - I think we all need to be careful, but we can't live our lives fear based. The Tour de Jozi guys have opted to not ride through Hillbrow ( and i'm grateful ) - and we are running on a sunday morning which I think is better. (less ppl on the roads)

At the end of the day, i guess it's up to everyone to weigh up risk vs gain and decide what they want to do.

I'll be there.

I don't think it's about living in fear, I certainly don't, have been in some very bad area's in africa, and I do go to jhb town, me and my wife often go to the Neighbourhoods market. However, I don't see how riding in town is not looking for trouble. Like I said, crime happens everywhere, but that does not mean you need to go out and look for it and some of the worst possible spots in JHB.

Thankfully the Jozicode is happening early on a Sunday morning so town will be quiet and it will still be to early for a Beer. (Unless we find a train to pass!)

I've never done a Critical Mass ride and although it sounds like fun, night rides with on crowded streets with booze just doesn't appeal to me.

I agree it cannot be compared, however the jozicode, hustle, etc. etc. is all spin off's that happend cause of the CM.

We're you one of the brave Duncan that woke up before the sun

to partake in that vid?

Same here...recipe for disaster and with the known tried and tested cyclist attitude towards cars certainly not a mix I want to be associated with

The Jozi Code is going to be awesome! We cycle the city with Shayne and Tour de Jozi as often as possible and have never had a problem (even yesterday morning at 5.30am)

• 4 weeks later...

So I went with the #tourdejozi guys for a ride on Sunday. It was a lot of fun, though I must say I take my hat off to roadies cause it's freakin' scary. I would not have coped without the regulars looking out for me in terms of cars and stuff - way too much to think about while trying to steer straight. :blush: I must say though that cars were very patient and friendly, as well as people we encountered along the way.

Some areas are dirty and smelly but all in all really eye opening experience. We rode from Melville to Braamfontein, then through to Fordsburg, back to Braamies and back to Melville. Did a few walk of shames - really slowly - had some encounters with bloody walls and trees that kept jumping out at me but all in all - good fun.

We're you one of the brave Duncan that woke up before the sun

to partake in that vid?

I didnt participate in the video ... my legs were still recoverng form the ride the week before.