Best Watches with GPS for Cycling and a bit of running

Paul Ruinaard

I had a garmin 310, now on the the 910. Great watches. I use mine on my wrist, no bike mounts for both road and mountain biking as well as running. You can set up different bike profiles on the 910 which is a great option.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, check the classifieds, you can pick up good watches from there if you don't mind sharing a HR belt someone else used.

that is what i do - and then i use my stopwatch for splits - as i know where the k markers are on my regular routes....

It will be fine when you run your regular routes, but if you are doing a 10k or 21k race and you want to hit a target time, a more accurate min/km pace will be helpful.

what is wrong with bryton?

I also looked at it but decided to stick to Polar

I think it's just THAT specific Bryton that is crappy. My main problems with it:

1. When in cycling mode it does not display average speed. WHY would they not include that readout??

2. In running mode it take forever to get a GPS signal. I regulary go for 30-40min runs where it never picks up the GPS. The upside to this is that I get so pissed off that I end up running faster than normal :-)

3. In my opinion the Bryton desktop software leaves a lot to be desired... although it is much better these days.

4. The battery is supposed to last about 8 hours in training mode. On a full charge last weekend I did the Greyton Classic (3 hours), then another 10km riding home (30mins). The next morning doing the trailrun, it died after 15minutes... That is half the claimed battery life!

Think I would go for Garmin or Suunto next time.

Edited by BlinkFan

Interesting topic, one which I've been researching myself!

Similar scenario, however, ride about six times per week, with a run here or there. For this purpose, a single tool becomes quite diificult to configure. Currently running an RS800 with HR, and Android strava on Sony rugged phone. A few points to note:

Strava currently only accepts the Zephyr hr strap for android, which is bluetooth 2. Bluetooth smart/le/4.0 does not work and is not supported.

Garmin forerunner 610 getting good reviews, although moisture sometimes a problem.

Polar provides seperate hr and gps file, which does not always work so lekke with strava.

Only the phone provides direct strava upload, althoug there is a garminconnect non supported site that can handle ports from garmin to strava automatically. Have not tested it.

What he said - buy a bluetooth hr belt that will speak to your phone and you've got all you need.

What I'm waiting for is strava / endo / someone else to add power to their offering and then I'll buy a powercal hr belt and get power too...

The days of lots of devices is coming to an end - soon it's going to be your phone, and some sensors (hr strap, cadence, speed, pace, whatever). Can't be too soon in my eyes.

Another vote for this method, Lots of functionality, you can get the phone to tell you how far you have gone, average speed, etc.

Endomondo uses very minimal battery life and can still upload to Strava for all the stats.

The other nice aspect is the social part, where you can compare yourself to friends, also lots of graphs and stats

Say no to expensive devices that have limited features..

Edited by jadeg

Interesting topic, one which I've been researching myself!

Similar scenario, however, ride about six times per week, with a run here or there. For this purpose, a single tool becomes quite diificult to configure. Currently running an RS800 with HR, and Android strava on Sony rugged phone. A few points to note:

Strava currently only accepts the Zephyr hr strap for android, which is bluetooth 2. Bluetooth smart/le/4.0 does not work and is not supported.

Garmin forerunner 610 getting good reviews, although moisture sometimes a problem.

Polar provides seperate hr and gps file, which does not always work so lekke with strava.

Only the phone provides direct strava upload, althoug there is a garminconnect non supported site that can handle ports from garmin to strava automatically. Have not tested it.

Try Endomondo or Cyclometer on iPhone, that does seems to support quite a few HR's

https://getsatisfaction.com/endomondo/topics/what_heart_rate_monitors_does_endomondo_support_use_a_heart_rate_monitor_with_your_smartphone_or_import_workouts_from_your

Another vote for this method, Lots of functionality, you can get the phone to tell you how far you have gone, average speed, etc.

Endomondo uses very minimal battery life and can still upload to Strava for all the stats.

The other nice aspect is the social part, where you can compare yourself to friends, also lots of graphs and stats

I have a problem cycling with an expensive cell phone. They tend to not like water or falling.

I understand what you guys are saying about 1 device for everything but I honestly cant think of anything worse that having to carry my phone with me on a run. I wont even take it with me on the bike - prefer to use my Edge 500. I'll rather save up and buy a garmin watch for the running which I can pair with the HR strap I already have

suunto ambit

I love mine (only had it about a month so far). Brilliant watch... but a fair bit over the 2-3k budget the OP is looking at.

I love mine (only had it about a month so far). Brilliant watch... but a fair bit over the 2-3k budget the OP is looking at.

and it records star jumps......impressive!

and it records star jumps......impressive!

That it does! I record my star jumps under "other sport" because they haven't made a dedicated "Star Jumps" feature yet (my only gripe).

Here's my stats from a recent star jump training session.

post-10758-0-24539100-1372151957_thumb.jpg

thanks guys. Clearly a hot topic - lots of opinions. I have an 805 and I like Garmin - so maybe that is the way to go - the 310 XT.