championchip entering scam?

didi3

I wanted to enter the Carousel road race on the championchip website.

It is advertised as R220,- for the 110km, but after completing the process I discovered that 4,5% is added as a card surcharge and a R7,50 admin fee.

Is this the new way of lifting the fee?

is this card surcharge legal?

What do you people think of this new way of making races even more expensive than they already are?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to enter the Carousel road race on the championchip website.

It is advertised as R220,- for the 110km, but after completing the process I discovered that 4,5% is added as a card surcharge and a R7,50 admin fee.

Is this the new way of lifting the fee?

is this card surcharge legal?

What do you people think of this new way of making races even more expensive than they already are?

ja ek het okal haai gehad, verstaan nie

en eenkeer moes betaal vir parking by die event, een groot stuk oop gras(deel van die plaas)

so event organiser het daai gepocket???

Report them to your credit card company. As far as I am aware no company is allowed to change the pricing based on cash or credit card. When a company signs up for a credit card, part of the terms and conditions are that they cannot add an additional fee to cover them in terms of what the credit card companies take.

A quick google for the VISA Credit cards and this is what I found: https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp

Guest Latent Blue
Report them to your credit card company. As far as I am aware no company is allowed to change the pricing based on cash or credit card. When a company signs up for a credit card, part of the terms and conditions are that they cannot add an additional fee to cover them in terms of what the credit card companies take.

A quick google for the VISA Credit cards and this is what I found: https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp

Yip. Thay 4.5% is what the company pay to rent the swipe machines (each bank has its own percentage)...

Report them... they will get a lekker vet smack very vinnig!!!

entered the Dunblane mtb ride yesterday, same charge via ChampionChip. This happened before when I entered a team for the Van Gaalens 24 hour, the charge then was in excess of R100. Was told then that they could not charge an admin fee. Makes me livid, you are in the last stages of the process and then only learn about this extra charge, no mention of it upfront !!!!

Apart from these charges and fee's, they also want you to "donate" a amount (plus 4,5% of course) for charity, normaly as far as I know part of the entree fee for cycle events was donated to charity by the event organiser.

looks like this is also a "hidden extra" cost for us now.

We should not accept this and boicot championchip timed events. starting with me not entering!!

Timing has become a money generating business ONLY for championchip.

They have the "take it or leave it" attitude.

And event organisers who also use the championchip website to take the entries are absolute powerless because championchip is sitting with all the entree fees , they deduct whatever they want and you have to be satisfied with the amount they are willing to pay to the organisers.

Disputing the account only makes you wait longer for your settlement.

SO SICK!

entered the Dunblane mtb ride yesterday, same charge via ChampionChip. This happened before when I entered a team for the Van Gaalens 24 hour, the charge then was in excess of R100. Was told then that they could not charge an admin fee. Makes me livid, you are in the last stages of the process and then only learn about this extra charge, no mention of it upfront !!!!

I also got stung, I saw the add ons before I paid but wanted to do the race so I just paid. Don't know if the can legally do that in terms of their bank contract.

However, once again another organization simply ripping into the recreational cyclist. From here forward I will simply boycott any race where I have to do online entries through championchip, i'll look for other races to do.

So come on Hubbers lets stop ranting about it and do something. tonight I will send both the race organisers and championchip an email to this effect. What are you guys gonna do?

I also got stung, I saw the add ons before I paid but wanted to do the race so I just paid. Don't know if the can legally do that in terms of their bank contract.

However, once again another organization simply ripping into the recreational cyclist. From here forward I will simply boycott any race where I have to do online entries through championchip, i'll look for other races to do.

So come on Hubbers lets stop ranting about it and do something. tonight I will send both the race organisers and championchip an email to this effect. What are you guys gonna do?

Ek het reeds 'n email gestuur aan die organiseerders.

Hy het hoogs verbaas teruggekom en gese dat dit onaanvaarbaar is en dit sal opneem met championchip.

Championchip gebruik nou regtig die fietsryers as'n melkkoei.

Hulle vra byvoorbeeld R5300.00 per email om uit te stuur om die wedren te adverteer, met 'n databasis wat hulle deur die wedren organiseerders bekom het, dan is dit vir hulle net so voordelig as vir die organiseerders as daar ekstra insrywings kom as gevolg van die email.

Ek het reeds die Kremetart geskiep om dieselfde rede, gaan nou die Carousel ook skiep.

Okay i've sent an email to Championchip as well as Finishline. lets see what the response is.

Either way you will pay both amounts. Organiser has the option to include in the entry fee or have it collected by CC. If it is not charged separately by CC be sure it is included in the entry fees.

I am no lawyer, but heavily involved within retail and as far as I know it is straight out illegal to charge the swipe fee as an additional.

I will check with my people, but would lodge it with the CPA and the CC merchant immediately

Ek het reeds 'n email gestuur aan die organiseerders.

Hy het hoogs verbaas teruggekom en gese dat dit onaanvaarbaar is en dit sal opneem met championchip.

Championchip gebruik nou regtig die fietsryers as'n melkkoei.

Hulle vra byvoorbeeld R5300.00 per email om uit te stuur om die wedren te adverteer, met 'n databasis wat hulle deur die wedren organiseerders bekom het, dan is dit vir hulle net so voordelig as vir die organiseerders as daar ekstra insrywings kom as gevolg van die email.

Ek het reeds die Kremetart geskiep om dieselfde rede, gaan nou die Carousel ook skiep.

To charge R5300.00 to send out an email to promote your own business?

That sounds INSANE

I am no lawyer, but heavily involved within retail and as far as I know it is straight out illegal to charge the swipe fee as an additional.

I will check with my people, but would lodge it with the CPA and the CC merchant immediately

If it's made known to you before paying, wouldn't it be legal?