Swart Kat

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got xx1 for a while now ,not one problem so far,will never go back.

just make sure about main blade size,started with the 38t ,then got the 36t,bought the 32t on J2C,getting now the 34t,think that is the allrounder for me.

That is a lot of no problems?

Umm WOLF rings are a copy of the XX1 rings.

YEs you can use clutch derailleurs but how are you going to get the spread of a 10-42 cassette with out using SRAM XX1 (or X01 in the near future)?

so there is certainly a gap in the market for single front rings and 1042 casettes yes untill that gap is filled Ill take the wolf tooth option with clutch derailer Train harder en enjoy myself on 1x10 rather then paying for the hype of xx1

My feeling about a sram vs shimano debate (if this was one) is that sram makes better top end groupos but shimano makes better budget groupos. XT is faultless but if you have the money, x0 is a damn fine setup. All exluding brakes, think shimano takes that one by a mile.

so there is certainly a gap in the market for single front rings and 1042 casettes yes untill that gap is filled Ill take the wolf tooth option with clutch derailer Train harder en enjoy myself on 1x10 rather then paying for the hype of xx1

I think you missed the point of this thread. It was to discuss the benefits, experiences, etc. of XX1.

A lot of people dissed XX and 2x10 when it first came out and reckoned it was just "hype".

Then again 2x... and 1x... is not new. I have a 2x crankset from the 90s just as compact cranks were not new when they came out a few years back(the 5 arm 110mm bcd crank has been on BMXs and MTBs years ago)

What is new is the 11 speed with the 10-42 tooth spread (yes, I can get a single 42 tooth sprocket from eBay for about $40 to adapt my own cassette, but then I lose top end)

More importantly is the development of clutch derailleurs (Shimano and Sram) in combination with the specially designed XX1 chainring (and chain?)

Yes you can now get Wolfs chainrings but Sram came up with it first.

Just so you know I don't have XX1 I can't afford it but damn it excites me, the simplicity of it, the Engineering that went into it.

I'm still on a budget 2x9 setup but then again I do things differently.

Have a Sramano setup at the moment

I think you missed the point of this thread. It was to discuss the benefits, experiences, etc. of XX1.

A lot of people dissed XX and 2x10 when it first came out and reckoned it was just "hype".

Then again 2x... and 1x... is not new. I have a 2x crankset from the 90s just as compact cranks were not new when they came out a few years back(the 5 arm 110mm bcd crank has been on BMXs and MTBs years ago)

What is new is the 11 speed with the 10-42 tooth spread (yes, I can get a single 42 tooth sprocket from eBay for about $40 to adapt my own cassette, but then I lose top end)

More importantly is the development of clutch derailleurs (Shimano and Sram) in combination with the specially designed XX1 chainring (and chain?)

Yes you can now get Wolfs chainrings but Sram came up with it first.

Just so you know I don't have XX1 I can't afford it but damn it excites me, the simplicity of it, the Engineering that went into it.

I'm still on a budget 2x9 setup but then again I do things differently.

Have a Sramano setup at the moment

keyword - budget- we all have one - also lole the idea of xx1 - budget = new plan= make my own 1x10 because I like the idea but not willing to pay 11 k so I do it for 2 k

keyword - budget- we all have one - also lole the idea of xx1 - budget = new plan= make my own 1x10 because I like the idea but not willing to pay 11 k so I do it for 2 k

That was never in dispute that it's expensive but the XX1 tech will trickle down to X0, X9, etc.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's impressive and I want it.

Some people just want to diss it because they can't have it or they're just trolling (e.g. IQ of 2?)

So four pages on and I am still a troll? Seems like you guys have your little club going again to slap any dissenting opinion or debate, even if remotely Off topic.

Seems the debate and the interest in a solution that is a lot cheaper and simpler is there. No doubt about that.

So maybe you would like to see a separate thread about build your own 1 x 10. And don't get rogered by manufacturers whilst doing it?

So four pages on and I am still a troll? Seems like you guys have your little club going again to slap any dissenting opinion or debate, even if remotely Off topic.

Seems the debate and the interest in a solution that is a lot cheaper and simpler is there. No doubt about that.

So maybe you would like to see a separate thread about build your own 1 x 10. And don't get rogered by manufacturers whilst doing it?

FFS what you still fail to realise is that XX1, X01, etc will go done in price. Look at what the original 10 speed SRAM XX cosst when it first came out, then it trickled down to X0, etc and Shimano brought out 10 speed.

No-one said you can't do 1 x 10 for cheaper it is just not the same.

EDIT: oh yes, apologies from my side for calling you a troll

Edited by Flowta

XX1 is R12000

XX 2x10 with brakes is R20000

I dont think its that extreme. Add your own brakes and its still cheaper.

I much prefer the simplicity of a 1x? setup. Worth it to me.

1x1 :ph34r: :P :D :)

Edited by Meezo

I have been running the xx1 crank with a 32 teeth ring and standard cassette on rear with clutch derailleur on a 650b. In terms of weight it probably shed close to 500g over the 2x10 setup all things factored in. I am concentrating mostly on XCO and so far i'm pretty happy with the setup.

I think an extra 42 on the rear cassette would be perfect (just couldn't justify replacing hub etc). I do miss my granny gears on some of the more technical steep climbs, it's not too much of an issue with the XCO courses though as the climbs are generally short. I will be trying to source a 30 front if they exist as this would probably be a good spread for XCO.

been using sram for years........zero problems.......mud, water, ice, snow.....the works !