DIY Bike Tools

Meezo

As promised:

DIY bike rack mounted to wall to hang up bike, now with added bike clamp to make it a work stand.

Pieces used:

Angle iron

2x bolts

spare/old buzz rack clamp arm

Wall mounted bike rack

post-42648-0-92459400-1386582352_thumb.jpg

Buzz rack arm converted rack mount arm

post-42648-0-68203700-1386582481_thumb.jpg

wall mount and with rack mount arm

post-42648-0-85750700-1386582580_thumb.jpg

Just some other DIY tools i have made:

chain keeper and chain whip

post-42648-0-30817000-1386582606_thumb.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I built a service stand on Sat, 2 pieces of 15mm galvanized plumbing pipe, R 49 each, 1 15mm elbow, R7 and 1 15mm straight connector R4. The clamp is a trigger clamp, Tool Craft R69 from Chamberlains. Cut one pipe to 45cm and 55cm lengths, connected the 55cm to the 1m pipe and to the elbow, then 45cm to elbow for horizontal piece.

Attaching the clamp to the pipe, I expected some issues but the shaft of the clamp fits snug into the pipe, lucky, needed to tap it home to the required length with a rubber mallet.

Then I secured the foot with a bit of wood to the workbench with a 22mm hole that the outside diameter of the pipe fits into snug for stability, drilled through the worktop for top stability.

Took another bit of wood, rasped a 5mm groove into it and pushed it onto the shaft of the clamp. Secured with cable ties, wrapped it all with an old tube and voila service stand.

Drilled a 22mm hole in the deck and it doubles as a wash and lubrication stand.

The horizontal to the elbow and the pipe to connector on one side is hand tight for easy assembly and removal, but the threads are plenty long enough for strength.

it's not like we are dealing with anything too heavy here now is it? post-53412-1390328225,8721.jpgpost-53412-1390328254,9674.jpgpost-53412-1390328280,7277.jpgpost-53412-1390328309,376.jpg

for what its worth, this is one of those tools to remove the oil filter from a car. Cost a whole R50 from the local Midas, works like a charm

post-46780-0-77762300-1390332605_thumb.jpg

Edited by ValeYellow

for what its worth, this is one of those tools to remove the oil filter from a car. Cost a whole R50 from the local Midas, works like a charm

Nice!

but someone posted here i think, flat iron with hole drilled through, and an old chain. Too works like a charm

Nice!

but someone posted here i think, flat iron with hole drilled through, and an old chain. Too works like a charm

yeah i did see that, just thought that for those of us that dont have a spare chain or piece of flat bar lying around, this is a good alternative - now although I do undertake 99% of the work required on my bike, as well as my car myself, i oddly dont have either lying about :thumbdown: Edited by ValeYellow

yeah i did see that, just thought that for those of us that dont have a spare chain or piece of flat bar lying around, this is a good alternative - now although I do undertake 99% of the work required on my bike, as well as my car myself, i oddly dont have either lying about :thumbdown:

I dont either ^_^

Amazing tho that the same tool required for both car and bike

I dont either ^_^

Amazing tho that the same tool required for both car and bike

what boggles me is the difference in price for ultimately the exact same thing :eek: Edited by ValeYellow

My Crown Race setting tool, is super simple pvc pipe.

Please note the sizing may differ for straight at tapered steerer

that looks like a homemade "Willi" enlarger pump

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a couple of km's on my current Shimano press fit BB and I cant be bothered to spend R500+ on a bearing puller which will sit in my tool box for ages before I can use it again, so I went looking for another solution to the problem and came up with this. Its in Spanish (I think) but you get the idea. This has made me wonder though what other home made tools do the rest of you use?

http://youtu.be/vHN3KUImeZQ

Instead of going out and buying a chain whip I just cable tie the chain gently to the rim of the wheel, and all is good :)

Instead of going out and buying a chain whip I just cable tie the chain gently to the rim of the wheel, and all is good :)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/Liquidfreak/Commencal/CIMG0057.jpg?t=1299847608 :thumbup: