Motivation

Overlord

Best motivation for me was my waistline and my sanity:

I was hit by a car in December. it a) ruined my favourite bike, B) messed up my shoulder, c) messed with my confidence.

I didn't ride for a while, then twisted my knee, pulling the ligaments, then I fell down some stairs, cracking my kneecap.

All in in all: 4 months lost and a few kgs gained.

I realised that I was snapping at my wife and child, eating too much, suffering mood swings as a result of my awesome diet of chips, pasta and chocolate.

One day I just got on my bike, suffered through the pain in my knee which was a fu@ker, and came home serene.

Riding my bike centers me, lets me think clearly, forces me to exhale.

Even my wife, who hates the fact that I love cycling, now recognizes that it makes me a better person to live with.

Cycling makes us better as human beings.

Very few activities do that.

My advice: take a wee break, see how you change, and analyse what is missing in your life.

The answer will almost always be that your bike, or rather - riding your bike - is the missing link.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I have lost all my motivation to ride my bike. How does one go about getting motivated again?

Eish.....i went through the same thing.

I found a group of guys that enjoyed cycling as much as i do.They have been a great help to try and get me fit and positive.

Buy some new kit to ride in and something new for the bike.

Take some photos on your rides and use them as a screensaver.

Hope you find the mojo again :thumbup:

After 7 years of hard racing and harder training in elite and subvets, my motivation and interest started dropping. I tried a new bike, but that motivator lasted exactly 1 month. I took a break from cycling for a couple of months, which turned into a total exit from road racing. I had to return to regular excersize to keep in shape, but I found running to be more time efficient and less risk than road. I can also run and compete with myself, on a bike I still wanted to compete with others. I still mtb for fun once a month or so, sometimes more often.

I took up a new challenge: to focus on my career. Some benefits of that is I spend more time with my family, (cycling consumes a lot of time), I have rediscovered some old hobbies and started new ones, and I am able to invest a portion of the money that I used to spend on cycling. Walking away is working out well for me :-)

As a newbie to cycling, people keep telling me to enter races to motivate myself, that i have to give myself goals, like riding the 94.7 or Argus or it's pointless. What happened to doing things just for fun?

Seems we live in such a competitive world that everything turns into a race. If you ride for racing, stop for a while, ride recreationally with your family or mates. Stop under a tree, not because you're tired, but because you want to enjoy the view. Sit down and have a road/trail side picnic. Remind yourself what caused you to fall in love with cycling to begin with.

i know some would advocate pushing harder, but i think of it this way: demotivation is like a racing car needing new tyres: everything's mostly okay,but you just not gettng the results you want. But you still want to get ahead. You have to pit. Put some spit and shine on the visor, and a fresh set of rubber.

Stopping and resting more is getting ahead. It's called overtaking in the pits.

but if you personally prefer the more is better approach, and no problem with that, then maybe these could help. I keep em on hand for 'rainy days', because i personally take a lot of motivation from watching others struggle toward their goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv5w2O0G9KM&feature=share&list=FLcc8y_Tvs7QGoH3Rl52GL-Q

1:59.. that's classic NeverGivingUp..

dude. just listening to the music from that vid gets me psyched. its the music from the movie inception. always gets me amped to get out and do something.

For me, Variety makes life sweet and keeps me motivated.

I ride XC, Enduro and I dirt jump. I sport climb and boulder competitively. I hike, scuba dive, swim, run, fish and ride horses.

I cook, sketch and read.

I do not waste time on pointless activities. i.e. shopping with girlfriends/wife, eating mcdonalds and gardening are rat race activities and thus motivation killers.

I never sleep later than 7.00 AM

So go do something different for a while. you will come back to cycling a happier person.

Seems I have lost all my motivation to ride my bike. How does one go about getting motivated again?

Take up kitesurfing - ok it's a bit out of season right now, but if I lived in Melkbos that's what I'd do. Then go ride your bike when the wind's not blowing and you feel like it.

I regularly hang up my bike for months at a time, I dont think its a big deal.

Life changes, circumstances change, interests change, just because you used to cycle is no indicator that you will always cycle, maybe you just have new interests now, maybe your life circumstances have changed, it happens, I wouldn't worry about it.

Right now I hardly go out on the bike, but I am enjoying going to the VA, at this point in time I enjoy the social interaction of been with other people, I dont feel like going out for two hours riding on my own, but I enjoy spending two hours with other people around me, even if I dont know them. Sometimes I swim sometimes I run on the treadmill, sometimes I may do a spinning class, sometimes I move the weights around, Friday I did a "Killer abs session" with all the housewives :rolleyes: it was interesting to say the least, .............who knows what I'll do in two months time, if its riding, well so be it, if its joining a chess club or learning a new skill, well thats fine too,........ dont define your life by a series of circular leg movements.

Guest Latent Blue

The easiest way ive found to get back the motivation is to force yourself on... if I start riding I cant stop again!!!

I read some of the replies last night and thought about it.

This morning I got on my bike with no Heart rate monitor and no distance nor time in mind. With me that is a very big no no. Took some money for coffee and of I went.

The idea was to just ride for the enjoyment of it. Well what an eye opener. 5hrs later I get home and I have to admit it must have been one of the best rides I had in a very long time.

I just want to say thank you to all those who gave ideas and advice.

This morning I got on my bike with no Heart rate monitor and no distance nor time in mind. With me that is a very big no no. Took some money for coffee and of I went.

The idea was to just ride for the enjoyment of it. Well what an eye opener. 5hrs later I get home and I have to admit it must have been one of the best rides I had in a very long time.

YES!!! THIS!

Edited by Capricorn

Take a break.

Swim. Run.

Hike.

Those handlebars will call you again, Bru.

The hunger WILL rise.

:-)

Agreed Racing and cycling are 2 very different things. It is often good to go from one to the other, just to get context.

Awesome!

Guest Latent Blue

'At a boy!!! Good stuff!!!