The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

Wow, some guys on here actually defending taxi drivers, now I've seen it all :wacko:

Maybe I am using (some) assumption, but based on what was made public and based on how 99.99% of taxi drivers behave on the roads, and based on the fact that Burry was a pro bike handler and trained on those roads DAILY, I'm happy to give odds on my "assumptions" being correct.

Flame away.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the error made by the prosecutor, it is possible for the charges to be reinstated. But that would require someone to their job.

Edited by Nick.

This is why SA drivers are so bad. As long as it was "an accident" and "you didn't mean to kill/cause harm" you walk away with NO punishment, even if you were blatantly negligent. This whole approach of not taking accountability is what sucks. SA folk need to stop being negligent and the only way is to punish people who are negligent. Maybe not as severely as those who do things deliberately, but still punishment suffice try to teach them to stop being negligent. i.e. Sufficient punishment to make them learn to take accountability for their actions.

This is assuming a lot. A lot of people immediately attacked the driver straight away without having any facts.

Bud I hope its all a mistake and the taxi driver is going to get nailed

If I've got it wrong fell free to tell me how?

EWN Reporter@ewnreporter 16m

The case against the motorist believed to have knocked over and killed cyclist Burry Stander has been provisionally taken off court roll.

Let's hope this is the case. Huge difference between withdrawn and just taken off the roll.

Bud I hope its all a mistake and the taxi driver is going to get nailed

If I've got it wrong fell free to tell me how?

If there enough facts and evidence to convict the driver, but the prosecution screwed, then it's a sad day. You can't, however, convict someone on sentiment.

Wow, some guys on here actually defending taxi drivers, now I've seen it all :wacko:

Nobody is defending the taxi driver.

The majority of them behave like a-holes, but the fact remains it was initially reported as a hit and run (which it wasn't), and now it is simply assumed that the driver was in the wrong.

That's not how it works, for a taxi driver or any other motorist.

Further, to assume that the driver is automatically wrong because Burry was a "pro bike handler" is ludicrous.

Nobody is defending the taxi driver.

Further, to assume that the driver is automatically wrong because Burry was a "pro bike handler" is ludicrous.

IMO to assume the opposite is even more ludicrous.

Edited by rattlesnake

sorry to say, but after all this time, and they not prepared.

Charges provisionally withdrawn, take that as a indication of things to come. this is sadly not gonna go anywhere.

G

I didnt see the accident so I accept the ruling of the court.

That's the problem THERE IS NO RULING. The matter has been withdrawn, i.e. it will not be heard (unless reinstated), and therefore there is no justice.

Let's hope this is the case. Huge difference between withdrawn and just taken off the roll.

In plain English what does "provisionally taken off the roll" mean...

Did the taxi turn in front of Burry?

Why was the driver arrested in the first place if it wasn't he's fault?

Any photos of the accident scene.

In plain English what does "provisionally taken off the roll" mean...

In this case,my guess is that the state is still waiting for the plan and accident report.They can take months to get completed.

A blood sample can take a year so the state withdraws their case as the accused has a right to a speedy trial.When the blood result comes back and it high then they will charge the person again.