The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

Did the taxi turn in front of Burry?

Why was the driver arrested in the first place if it wasn't he's fault?

Any photos of the accident scene.

If there is a fatality, isn't it an automatic arrest. There were many photos posted here of the scene. From what I read at the time, the driver cooperated from the start.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there enough facts and evidence to convict the driver, but the prosecution screwed, then it's a sad day. You can't, however, convict someone on sentiment.

Yes yes that's obvious

Seems like you cannot convict someone the proper way either which leaves nothing else but sentiment.

Lets wait and see where this ends up, but you have to admit it's looking increasingly likely that justice wont be served.

In plain English what does "provisionally taken off the roll" mean...

"Provisionally" taken off the roll means that the accused can be charged again at a later stage (e.g. when the evidence is ready as Gummibear said).

"Withdrawn" would be when the prosecutor decides in principle not to proceed with the case - that is then the end of the matter and the accused then cannot be charged again later

Yes yes that's obvious

Seems like you cannot convict someone the proper way either which leaves nothing else but sentiment.

Lets wait and see where this ends up, but you have to admit it's looking increasingly likely that justice wont be served.

What is justice in this case for you? A conviction?

Edited by Tumbleweed

Did the taxi turn in front of Burry?

Why was the driver arrested in the first place if it wasn't he's fault?

Any photos of the accident scene.

From what I recall the taxi turned in front of Burry into a side road, crossing the solid white line to do so.

Apparently (not 100% sure about this) the taxi was using the side road to avoid a traffic light further down the road.

I feel for Cherise and Burrys family :unsure: The hopefully successful prosecution may have given them some closure which they sadly may not get now

Incidentally, does anyone here have any knowledge or experience of private prosecutions?

What is justice in this case. For you? A conviction?

A conviction - YES. This might just make motorists a little more aware of us cyclists on the road, knowing that there are real consequences to killing someone with your car. This is (was ) a golden opportunity to add some meaning to a senseless death - might have saved a few more lives down the line.

Cherise just said on the radio the driver hit Burry from the opposite side of the road.

Now my question is how can the driver NOT be at fault? Another epic fail from our so called judicial system :thumbdown:

What is justice in this case. For you? A conviction?

The opportunity for the defense and state to argue their case in front of a judge based on evidence as produced by both sides.

Justice would be the end decision of the judge based on what has already happened and not what has not happened....

A conviction - YES. This might just make motorists a little more aware of us cyclists on the road, knowing that there are real consequences to killing someone with your car. This is (was ) a golden opportunity to add some meaning to a senseless death - might have saved a few more lives down the line.

Once again, this is based on assumption. Do you know what evidence the prosecution has?

If he is guilty, I would like nothing more than to see him convicted. It's just not that simple.

40 people die on the roads here every day so its pretty obvious that the enforcement and justice systems are not working. It's no surprise, then, that Burry's case also suffers from this.

I think that his people have a much better chance of getting somewhere with this case, than virtually anyone else because of his high profile. The outcry has started immediately so we'll see what the system can produce under pressure.

For the 1,000s of others, well I dont know, seems like there's nothing & that includes the recreational cyclists, regularly culled.

The opportunity for the defense and state to argue their case in front of a judge based on evidence as produced by both sides.

Justice would be the end decision of the judge based on what has already happened and not what has not happened....

What if there simply isn't enough evidence to proceed?

Edited by Tumbleweed

From what I recall the taxi turned in front of Burry into a side road, crossing the solid white line to do so.

Apparently (not 100% sure about this) the taxi was using the side road to avoid a traffic light further down the road.

Herersay.........

What if there simply isn't enough evidence to proceed?

No evidence (messed up docket) = no case, simple.

History repeats itself.