Supplements to aid concentration

IQ capsules.

IQ don't help in concentration...

over the counter....try ginkgo, green tea and ginseng and a omega 3/6 supplement

Edited by MTB Marinio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you really can't concentrate anymore (think end of exams) then 2 tablespoons of turbovite and a ginkgo biloba capsule sorts me out.

5htp tablets - avail at pharmacy or even clicks apparently

Some kind of serotonin generating substances, not to be taken with serotonin re-uptake inhibitors(most anti depressants) as you may get serotonin poisoning.

Let me know how they work if you get them.

I heard about them yesterday and they sound great!

My sister' 6 year old was very hyper active and couldn't focus for 5 minutes. It got so bad that he felt inferior to his twin sister when he got his school work wrong so the doc prescribed something to settle him down and aid his concentration. His seen a marked improvement in his academic progress. His teacher than complained that it gave him "an unfair advantage". hehehehe. I can find out what he took if you want??

Figure out why yuou cant concentrate. Diet wise too much sugar...allergy or so. Changing your diet may just help and when all those avenues are exhausted only then go meds. imo

banned currently, but schedule 5 Synape Forte was brilliant at providing mental clarity. 2 tablets knocked me out cold, but 1 tablet gave incredible mental clarity. worked and thought like a machine for the 3 hours the tablet was essentially effective. and i just found 2 in my bag... *happydance*

I have taken Synape Forte for migraines in the past (very effective for pain), but I think it was taken off the shelves (confirmed http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2011/11/16/painkiller-now-an-illegal-drug ).

Never noted a change in clarity as I was trying my best to switch off and catch some Zzz.

Watched Limitless last night. Eagerly waiting for Synap Forte to relaunch as NZT-48 :)

Things I changed when my concentration was waning were sleep (had way too many nights up past midnight, now aiming for 10pm) and my diet.

Experiment with cutting down sugar consumption (Coke, fruit juice, ice cream, low fat anything, eg. yoghurt, cheaper chocolate) and junk carbs, ie opt for colourful vegetables instead of easy starches such as bread, potato or pasta.

Better sleep and change in diet also made me enjoy cycling more (I experienced improved energy levels and it helped with fatigue post exercise).

Didn't try meds.

Good luck!

I had shingles recently and now suffer a bit with restlessness at work. I got a script for Lyrica for the pain, which works on the central nervous system. These things are really great at making you feel better and more focused. I found a website where druggies are abusing it. Scary stuff!

Anyway, not a supplement so off topic.

Edited by Sawdust

I have used Ritalin for short periods during high stress to assist in concentration,

periods of about a month.

It really does work and is only bad if abused I think.

Other than that there a few things you can do if its short bursts of concentration you need.

the quickest, but very unhealthy is a big redbull and a couple grandpa's.

the two together just change how they work.

PS. this was confirmed by a neurologist I know, but he advises against it.

If you need a natural product and supplement you might want to consider our

HERBALIFE NRG Instant Guarana beverage.

You are welcome to check out the website for more info and contact me should you be interested.

www.herbalifedistribution.com/performance.php

• 1 month later...

Just seen this rather interesting topic. I took something called Nootropil earlier in the year when I was struggling with energy and focus on the bike. (Its also a drug you can use in and out of competition.) Only big problem with it is that you cant always find it and currently it is unavailable. This stuff made such a huge difference to me off the bike that I have had to go onto one of the stuff mentioned in this thread and I must admit: I am HATING the side effects.

determine the cause of the lack of concentration.

If there is no identified disease of disorder, then medication will be dangerous in the long term.

In most people the following are the cause:

1. lack of interest if you don't care you won't concentrate

2. too much or too little stimulation

3. distractions (internet ext)

4. lack of sleep

5. sleep

6. stress (although deadlines and death threats have been known to get some to focus)

7. lack of practice

8. lack of exercise (or over training)

9. diet (sugars, caffeine, alcohol ext)

Do a honest appreciation of your lifestyle and you interest in what you are doing before going to the doctor, psychologies or the hub. Medication is expensive and can also be banned by WADA, so no more racing.......

In the end, play chess, eat fish and sleep lots