How to locate the puncture hole??

Dumpykym

Advice please Hubbers - out on the road, what is your best tip for locating the puncture hole?

Advice please Hubbers - out on the road, what is your best tip for locating the puncture hole?

If very slow, leak:

cover tube with water/soapy water

or submerge tube in tub of water and look for bubbles.

Generally, i pick it up by sound, especially if you pump the tube up with a lot of air (makes the hole a bit bigger and thus a bit easier to hear)

Pump the tube up a lot and rotate it near your ear. If it's a slow puncture do the same thing whilst stretching the tube at the same time.

Source: My tubes have more repair patches than original rubber.

Pump the tube up and hold it near to your cheek and work your way round. Provided you're somewhere calm and reasonably quiet, you'll feel the air against your cheek and should hear the air escaping.

Oh, and don't forget to remove whatever caused the puncture from the tire before putting the tube back, otherwise you'll be repeating the exercise again... :)

You need a pump or bomb, good pair of eyes or a lot of saliva and ears that are in a good working condition or cheeks that are very sensitive. Once you have those, do what you're advised above.

Take a spare tube and fix the punctured one at home (it then becomes the next rides spare)

What he said.

usually very easy if there is hair around it

On the road ... take out the tube, and pomp it. Use your nose... seriously, rotate the tube under your nose. It's the one of the most receptive and sensitive areas to pick up the escaping air and being under your nose can give you the quickest line of sight to the puncture. Without having to turn your head.

Alternatively if you don't want to draw stares, have a spare tube on hand and check the tyre with your fingers. Check the punctured tube (inflated) in a basin of water once you get home.