Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

Question.

I want to bring in a set of Chinese Carbon hoops, got quoted $266.00 for the hoops, $60.00 for shipping and 4% paypal commission. In total $339.04

How much can I expect to pay this side for Vat and import duties, if any?

Vat and customs clearance only. No duties on components

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use Aramex Global Shopper for a european based online shop say like Bike24, then you tax twice right?

thats right, most online stores will deduct their local VAT from the purchase price if your shipping destination is south africa (i.e. if its an EU store, EU VAT will be deducted from the purchase price if the shipping destination is outside of the EU), then you pay RSA VAT at customs. 

If you use global shopper, you pay EU VAT plus VAT at customs

Only use Aramex Global shopper if the seller doesn't post to SA i did this when i won a bid on eBay for a MTB frame.

Otherwise as stated, you'll probably get charged duties locally at seller and once it lands at buyer

Question.

I want to bring in a set of Chinese Carbon hoops, got quoted $266.00 for the hoops, $60.00 for shipping and 4% paypal commission. In total $339.04

How much can I expect to pay this side for Vat and import duties, if any?

You'll only pay VAT on the $266, unless the invoice states a lower amount which is the norm from China. Or the customs guys calculate it wrong, which happens 80% of the time in my experience ;) Then you'll pay a small handling fee this side (R46 or so).

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

So I'm considering getting a set of wheels from a guy who imports from China.  Soloteam, 50mm clinchers, full carbon.  Apparently running Soloteam R15 hubs, but I would like to get Novatec hubs if possible, obviously this will impact price.

From what I gather on the web, it would be the below wheels:

http://www.carbonbicyclewheel.com/product/60598629374-804387642/_SOBE_50RC23_soloteam_bicycle_wheels_50mm_carbon_wheels_Clincher_solo_bicycle_wheels_700c.html

Anyone have any experience on these, or any advice in general?

• 2 weeks later...

hi all i'm about to order a set of wheels from china to give them a try but confused between yeoleo or farsports.

any recommendation between these companies as i have seen mixed reviews online. currently leaning towards the Farsports version as they have the hubs im looking for but yeoleo (though more expensive) seems to have better feedback on the longevity of the carbon etc.

any feedback appreciated.

FWIW, I've had the Yoeleo's (38/50 combo, tubeless, 25mm, Sapim CX Ray spokes, Novatec Hubs) for 3 months now - about 2000km - and they've been flawless thus far. No wear on brake surface at all, although they are still quite new. They appear to be solidly built wheels - they ride well and look fantastic. I expect them to last a good long time. 

FWIW, I've had the Yoeleo's (38/50 combo, tubeless, 25mm, Sapim CX Ray spokes, Novatec Hubs) for 3 months now - about 2000km - and they've been flawless thus far. No wear on brake surface at all, although they are still quite new. They appear to be solidly built wheels - they ride well and look fantastic. I expect them to last a good long time. 

good to hear, how was shipping. did they arrive fast with standard shipping?

good to hear, how was shipping. did they arrive fast with standard shipping?

They actually couriered them to me so arrived within a few days. Initially I didn't hear from them (for about a week) and then when I enquired, they sent them immediately via courier at no extra cost. Not sure if this is standard operating procedure though. I was happy with communication throughout the process. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well thought I would give a small review, on a set of Chinese wheels. I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of wheel from the east, the choice of suppliers I narrowed down to was yeoleo and farsports (www.farsports.cn). As reviews, online were both good and bad but mostly good from both suppliers. I finally decided to go with Farsports, purely because of the availability of different hub choices and options.

I was going to go for DT swiss hubs but landed up taking there EDhubs (basically Bitex unbranded) with ceramic bearings (mainly due to price). The service I received from Windy (sales person at Farsports) was fantastic. They remained in contact with myself right up until the wheels were in my hands. I opted for the Free shipping option and they still sent wheels via courier. The process was smooth and efficient and I had the new wheels in my hands within 2 weeks.

Some details on the wheels:

• Tubeless compatible 50mmx25mm Clincher Model: FSC50CM-25T ED
  • Logo - No Logo
  • NO Spoke holes in rim bed (i.e no need to use rim tape)
  • Rim Finish was UD Matt (and perfect no blemishes etc.)
  • Hubs - Edhub ceramic bearing, Black
  • Spoke & Nipples - Black Sapim cx-ray + Black Nipples
  • Came with Brake Pads, Skewers and Free Shipping
  • Weight – As advertised I think they around 1.5kg but feel much lighter

Anybody looking for a fantastic supplier, I can recommend them from my experience. From a performance perspective, still early days but I have put on about 200KM and they supper smooth and still 100% true, no issues loving them.

From a cost perspective, i did pay a clearing fee with Courier and VAT (no import customs duty)

hope this helps somebody looking to make the decision to import far east wheel, you wont regret it. At least im not.