Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

My Meatball is at the Bicycle Doctor .... it might be a situation again of the BB pulling out of / damaging the BB shell threads as per my previous bicycle.

This have never happened to me before with bicycles ... so very frustrated and rather angry.

Waiting to hear what the final prognosis is this evening.....really hope the frame is not toast :(

EDIT: both frames have been running square taper BB's

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Meatball is at the Bicycle Doctor .... it might be a situation again of the BB pulling out of / damaging the BB shell threads as per my previous bicycle.

This have never happened to me before with bicycles ... so very frustrated and rather angry.

Waiting to hear what the final prognosis is this evening.....really hope the frame is not toast :(

EDIT: both frames have been running square taper BB's

Eish. Poor fellow.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think she even knows what she is... a real cross-breed mutt but so much fun!

GT Peace 26er frame

Lynsky steel CX disc fork

ZTR 29er wheels

28c city tyres (after a long ride, probably gonna put the 35c on!)

Currently running 38/18 - limited for choice in gearing cos of the 73mm bb shell and wide stays means most cranks and bigger rings wont fit!

Wanted to put drop bars on, but my current budget (of ZERO) means no brakes available in my price range  :whistling:

post-112342-0-42070700-1494941442_thumb.jpg

Stall_Gear, 

I really like your bike, 

I enjoy "muts" it showcases ones individual flair, and really makes the bike special.

Judging by the high seat post and the rather tiny head tube, i recon dropbars are not going to be comfortable (unless you use a siff uppy looking stem) 

I rate keep the flat bars on.

I don't think she even knows what she is... a real cross-breed mutt but so much fun!

GT Peace 26er frame

Lynsky steel CX disc fork

ZTR 29er wheels

28c city tyres (after a long ride, probably gonna put the 35c on!)

Currently running 38/18 - limited for choice in gearing cos of the 73mm bb shell and wide stays means most cranks and bigger rings wont fit!

Wanted to put drop bars on, but my current budget (of ZERO) means no brakes available in my price range  :whistling:

lekker bike ... you can also look at dropping that 18t for something smaller to get a bit more top end speed.

Awesome APP to calculate your gearing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gearcalculator&hl=en

Edited by Hairy

Stall_Gear, 

I really like your bike, 

I enjoy "muts" it showcases ones individual flair, and really makes the bike special.

Judging by the high seat post and the rather tiny head tube, i recon dropbars are not going to be comfortable (unless you use a siff uppy looking stem) 

I rate keep the flat bars on.

I actually don't mind a really low aero front... but that may go against the idea of the bike (I'll leave that to my fixie  :thumbup: )

lekker bike ... you can also look at dropping that 18t for something smaller to get a bit more top end speed.

Awesome APP to calculate your gearing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gearcalculator&hl=en

Thx Hairy

Gonna stick to the gearing for the moment - the 18 is as small as i can go, as it's an aluminium freebody and thats the smallest wide body cog I have in my stash! And where I am riding in the 'burbs, I do 500m of climbing in 20km!

Also, I have a fixie that i will post as well at some stage... that runs a 42/18 fixed and a 42/16 free... so if I wanna go faster  :whistling:

• 5 months later...

Still hasn't had her maiden voyage but she's fine-tuned and ready. 46-18 gear should be fast. Magic gear as it happens.

Nice frame. I have a Scott Speedster 2 running on 38/14. Didn't know the 46/18 was the magic gear so I had to use an actuator.

I can still do a healthy 28 km/h ave alone on hills and 34 km/h ave with a group (70km) of angry looking pissed of roadies running expensive geared up bikes looking down on my SSS......

love this bolt on thing.....

post-25888-0-97769000-1509950635_thumb.jpg

I wonder how many SS riders is in cape town and what it will take get them together on a Saturday morning for a ride?

I ride my SS roadie every day ... so weekends are for the geared MTB :P

Just recently changed from a 39x16t to a 53x18t .... top end speed is up in buckets ... and the light breeze in CT this morning was interesting as a head wind ... can't wait to ride home with it on my back this evening :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for other SS cyclist to ride with in Hout Bay, Cape Town

My run on 42 x 16 gears with 700 rims

Getting out of Hout Bay requires a serious climb

I am looking for other SS cyclist to ride with in Hout Bay, Cape Town

My run on 42 x 16 gears with 700 rims

Getting out of Hout Bay requires a serious climb

(www.strava.com/activities/1273419543) on monday i cycled my first half suikerbossie and that was not easy with a 53/16 ratio.

post-12342-0-79793800-1510689761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fubar

Nice frame. I have a Scott Speedster 2 running on 38/14. Didn't know the 46/18 was the magic gear so I had to use an actuator.

I can still do a healthy 28 km/h ave alone on hills and 34 km/h ave with a group (70km) of angry looking pissed of roadies running expensive geared up bikes looking down on my SSS......

love this bolt on thing.....

I did the 947 this past weekend with the single speed. 3h19 across the line.

The bike was in perfect shape, but every time I laid down power on a uphill, I heard like "ting ting" coming from the chain or back wheel. So for fear of snapping a chain, I didn't lay down the power on uphills.

The question is......

double chains..... I use two of everything next to each other. Chain rings, chain and rear sprocket. There is enough space for it.

Any thoughts on this?

I did the 947 this past weekend with the single speed. 3h19 across the line.

The bike was in perfect shape, but every time I laid down power on a uphill, I heard like "ting ting" coming from the chain or back wheel. So for fear of snapping a chain, I didn't lay down the power on uphills.

The question is......

double chains..... I use two of everything next to each other. Chain rings, chain and rear sprocket. There is enough space for it.

Any thoughts on this?

I have never considered double chain setup, might be something to look into if you're built like the Hulk.

I have had a similar noise in the early stages of my setup, it was the chain just just staying on and then clinking' back into position. Changed the chainline by 3mm and tensioned it a bit more and no further issues. Regarding the type of chain, I run a SS specific from Rapide and have never broken one. But that might be due to my spaghetti type legs.