Feedback wanted: How can we improve the buyer / seller rating system?

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

Buyer / seller ratings has been a topic of a fair bit of discussion over the past few weeks.

Along with a number of general updates to the Classifieds system we've recently been working through updates to the Trader ratings system.

Currently it is quite an obscure feature that's not as well used as it could and should be.

The issues (based on feedback and observation):

- Ratings are not well presented on advert pages (many don't even know they are there)

- Ratings are hidden away on member profiles and easily confused with likes

- There is no requirement or prompt to complete ratings following a deal

- The current rating score is ambiguous

- Members with negative ratings simply create new profiles and start over

... and please add to this list

Here is what has been addressed in pending update so far:

- Change to the display and calculation of summarized rating score

Currently the overall rating score is shown as either positive (green thumbs up), neutral (blue dot) or negative (red thumbs down). Along with the icon indicator a numerical rating score is displayed which is the net balance of your positive and negative ratings.

E.g. If you have 10 positive and 2 negative the score of 8 is displayed (10 - 2 = 8).

Likewise if you had 1 positive and 5 negative a rating of -4 is displayed ( 1 - 5 = -4)

This has been changed to match the proven system used by eBay and many others.

Now the summary will display the percentage of positive feedback along with total number of ratings received which provides a better gauge of how meaningful the rating is.

Using the same examples as before this would work as follows:

- 10 positive, 2 negative: 12 ratings, 83.3% positive

- 1 positive, 5 negative: 6 ratings, 16.7% positive

The above gives more meaning and insight than the current "net" score. E.g. currently someone with 12 positive and 10 negative ratings would still have a positive (+2) rating (green thumb up) which does not give the full picture. The net score may be positive, but only 54.5% of a total of 22 ratings were positive.

- More emphasis on Trader Ratings on the advert page

Instead of the current icon indicator which appears below the advertisers username there will now be a clearly marked "Trader Rating" area on the advert pages providing enough detail at a glance with a quick link to their full trader profile with all feedback.

- Improvements to the Trader Ratings section:

General cleanup of the layout to improve navigation and usability.

More information on how the ratings work and why it's important (to encourage newbies to use the feature).

New feature to search for a rating profile for any member.

Quick links to add feedback

- Include trader rating on members main profile page (not hidden on the Classifieds tab)

What else is in the pipeline?

- Automatic prompts to add feedback following a deal

- Ability to request feedback from a member you've transacted with providing a quick link for them to easily add feedback for you

- Active checks on new / duplicate profiles to restrict negatively rated traders from creating new profiles

Any feedback, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Please note: the Trader ratings updates form part of a broader set of classified updates which will be discussed separately later this month.

Thanks,

Matt

Allow.a user to change usernames, but below the name in small font it can refer to the users previous alias.....any trader feedback should be pinned to the user no matter what name the user decides to use.

Good work Matt, I like what you are proposing.

Allow.a user to change usernames, but below the name in small font it can refer to the users previous alias.....any trader feedback should be pinned to the user no matter what name the user decides to use.

Good work Matt, I like what you are proposing.

There should also be some value given to someone who trades regularly AND maintains good ratings. This could even be an icon of sorts. So someone who has only sold 5 items with an 80% rating as 4 of these were good experiences and rated, should not have the credibility of someone who has made a 100 sales with 70 favourable ratings. This should have the other benefit of preventing people from wanting to recreate a new account after a negative experience if they use the hub for many trades.

Edited by Tubehunter

Maybe a provide feedback button on the sales page?

ie: for those that sell multiple of the same item, have a button somewhere that a buyer can then click on that takes them straight to the posters "rate seller page"

or maybe a way that sellers can send "rate me" requests to buyers that they have sold goods to?

Also maybe indicate somewhere how long the user has been a hubber for? the separate once off sellers from those that have been on the hub for some time?

for example.

brad890

Member since Feb 2010

or maybe a verified seller icon or something like that. something like they've got on bidorbuy? where the seller is required to fill in a form, send a copy of ID and residence to become a verified user.

logistically I'm not sure how that would work, could be a whole nother kettle of fish.

Something like the ebay rating system which reminds you which purchases you still have to give feedback on?

Good work Matt.

Like where this is going.

Much better than the Big Brother scenario.

Thanks for the input and direction

No changing names. Simple. Report offenders.

Ratings should be 100% - negative ratings... So 1 neg out of 10 = 90%.

Negative ratings should have to be accompanied by an explanation.

Just my thoughts?

Take away the function of adding your email and number to adds. Think if everyone worked through the same channel it will be more ebay like and less gumtree like. Emails and numbers can be exchanged over pm's.

Thanks, and looking forward to the end of the month proposals :thumbup: .

• 3 months later...