Stage Races: When, Where and How Much

Dubber

Hi

Not sure when last this was done but attached is a list of the most popular stages in and around South Africa.

The list includes the month the event takes place in, how many days of riding there is, current cost of the event and a cost per kilometre summary column. (As well as some other info if available e.g. total ascent, start / end location etc).

Obviously not all events are created equally - what is include at some events won't be included at others; the cost per kilometre is just a general indicator.

Where both team and single entries are available, the cost of the team entry has been used (just so we can compare apples with apples).

Events where accommodation is not included have been highlighted.

Costs are mostly as per the 2013 entry fee. Where 2014 rates are available they have been used (again these exceptions have been highlighted).

If there are any events not on the list, post the name/website and I can happily add them.

Stage Races v4 17092013.pdf

Edited by Dubber

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it cost a pretty packet to stage race, think they getting greedy.

Yeah - Anywhere from R15 to R35 per kilometer ridden :whistling: When all the 2014 prices come out I would guess the average will be around R20 per KM...

Yeah - Anywhere from R15 to R35 per kilometer ridden :whistling: When all the 2014 prices come out I would guess the average will be around R20 per KM...

About 8 of us(my group) are doing the Sani next year, most of the guys are saying it will be their last purely on cost. looking at alternatives already...

About 8 of us(my group) are doing the Sani next year, most of the guys are saying it will be their last purely on cost. looking at alternatives already...

That's exactly where this list comes from :w00t: We did Sani last year. Would love to do it again but can't afford to do it and others. So the list was there so we can see where we could get most value for money.

Some people will interpret 'value' differently though. Is it more km's of riding or more km of climbing or just the fact that you are away for a weekend with a bit of riding (like the Tour of Legends where there is only around 60KM of riding a day but everything from laundry through to massages are included in costs).

Edited by Dubber

The non accommodation options seem better... tenting it on your own is cheap if it is allowed.

I'm still thinking it through, but a large group ride, like a tour through certain places might be much better at the end of the day... Bunch or people, take turns to drive the car/s, set route, all sleep at the same place every night. Some might say you loose something because it isn't a race, but nothing is stopping you from going for it.

That's exactly where this list comes from :w00t: We did Sani last year. Would love to do it again but can't afford to do it and others. So the list was there so we can see where we could get most value for money.

Some people will interpret 'value' differently though. Is it more km's or riding or more km of climbing or just the fact that you are away for a weekend with a bit of riding (like the Tour of Legends where there is only around 60KM of riding a day but everything from laundry through to massages are included in costs).

We looking at:

http://www.redislandride.com/

Dubber you are the man.

my riding parter and i also looking to do something different next year.

very valuable info - well done and thank you