• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knysna 200

Knysna 300

Lord of the Chain Rings

I'd be interested to see how these compare.

Too much choice, too little time, leave and money.

No Kalahari Challenge :thumbdown:

Check out Greyton Tour and Houw Hoek Tour, best value. Organised by same guys who do W2W.

Knysna 200

Knysna 300

Lord of the Chain Rings

All added...

Not yet, a mate did it and was well chuffed. Reckons it's the best hing he's done in a while :) Going to give it a go next year if funds allow.

As a form of comparison I believe a better comparison would be cost per day.

And then, if you then take a cost of R200 entry per day for the route (as per one-day events) you can see just how much tented accommodation is costing you ... and how in most cases decent hotels with dinner, bed and breakfast (comfortable & en suite) is a cheaper and more comfortable option.

For example:

Epic charges R2 550 per day for your route, single tent and food per night

Sani 2 C charges R1 793 for route, shared tent and (lots of) food (and goodies)

Cradle Mountain Trophy charges R250 for route only (don't know what else is included)

Lesotho Sky charges R1 333 per day for tents and R1 833 for lodged accom and route (don't know what else is included)

The impression I get is that stage races are making money ... unless of course there are loads of hidden costs for tents that I am not aware of (labour, catering, setting up ablution facilities and other infrastructure?????).

To the OP, you would need to add an experience column to your spreadsheet...that is what determines whether I would enter a stage race on not....R / km is irrelevant.

We have done 11 of the events on the list.

Two that I would really like to do are 3 Towers and Lord of the Chainring - however they are in the middle of my annual budgeting exercise so unless I change companies they will remain on my bucket list