Seyffert receives two year ban from competition

Matt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, looking at the Wikipedia description of Phentermine, I notice that it is an appetite suppressant. No performance-enhancing benefits are listed.

Why end someone's career because of this drug?

Why is it illegal?

Am I missing something?

Active ingredient in Duromine appetite suppressants. a Schedule 5 drug used for obese patients to block the brains hunger impulse to stop eating.

Surely to Start eating?

But it does not make you better during a competition, or am I missing something? In fact, it might make you bonk which is actually detrimental to your performance.

Edited by Moridin

But it does not make you better during a competition, or am I missing something. In fact, it might make you bonk which is actually detrimental to your performance.

I suppose it helps in losing some weight before an event so that you improve your power to weight ratio.

As for bonking, yes, without fuel, you will bonk.

Not completely a banned substance, but it is prohibited "in competition"

I suppose it helps in losing some weight before an event so that you improve your power to weight ratio.

As for bonking, yes, without fuel, you will bonk.

Not completely a banned substance, but it is prohibited "in competition"

As it should be. Sport should be about physical ability, not a science project

One day water will be banned as it helps keep you hydrated and hence enhances performance :w00t: Energade and 32GI will be up on the shelf next to the EPO and no-one will be allowed to train anymore because that also enhances performance. Carbon fibre and plastics in bike manufacture will be banned as its too light and makes you faster. Lycra will be banned because it helps let you escape the drag caused by wind. :ph34r:

I'm thinking 10 years ahead now :huh: haha

So, I wonder what's gonna happen when all these genetically selected babies hit the market. Are people that were genetically selected going to be prohibited from competing against us normally conceived plebs?

Edited by Moridin

So, I wonder what's gonna happen when all these genetically selected babies hit the market. Are people that were genetically selected going to be prohibited from competing against us normally conceived plebs?

Russia has been mating their top athletes since the 70's

time flies, I see next month david george will be halfway through his 'sporting interruption'

Didn't he get 2 years? Or like all other sentences in this country did it reduced?

Ban these cheats for life and let them become financial planners or estate agents

Lots of high-horsing with this topic but I look at these drugs which are dubious performance enhancers and I wonder if things haven't gone too far?

Surely if someone wants to cheat he won't take appetite suppressants? EPO is the drug of choice in this sport and the drug that gives most people the most benefit. It is also impossible to detect outside the "glow". Yes, it is expensive and Phentermine is cheap (I imagine) but that's certainly not the motivation that drove Pieter to taking a diet pill. I imagine he took it 'cause he was feeling a bit tight in his pants and tries to eat less. He may even be unaware of the effects of high-carb diets and supplements on your appetite and the very stuff that fuels him is making him constantly hungry.

We could of course argue that he wanted to loose weight to win but I find it difficult to relate that to cheating. Boxers de-hydrate before weigh-in. Arguably cycling is not about the actual number on the scale and less weight is an advantage. However, if this was a calculated move and Pieter took one look at the list of nasty side-effects, many of which are counter-productive to cycling, he would have chosen another cheating drug, not Phentermine.

I think we're in madness territory.