Stuart O'Grady Announces Retirement

Matt

Stuart O’Grady has announced his retirement from the professional peloton today. While Australia’s first Classics champion, six-time Olympian and inaugural Tour Down winner had originally stated his intention to retire next year, O’Grady has opted to readjust his plans on the heels of a historical Tour de France for ORICA-GreenEDGE.

Click here to view the article

He had a long and fruitfull career and was a great rider to watch. Loved his Paris Roubaix victory.

Great career, hopefully clean..... But its good he is opening a gap for new young talent..... Time for the new brood!!

Isn't he also implicated in that French Senate report coming out on Wednesday?

I hope not, classy and tough bike rider. But yeah, he comes from the darkest days of the sport (and the track!) - so I guess it would not be terribly surprising :blush:

Will respect him regardless though, like I said, classy and tough bike rider :thumbup:

Stuart is a great guy and had a awesome career......i am pretty sure we'll see the O'Grady name in the Pro peloton in a few years .

some journalist are saying that the sudden retirement is due to the French Senate report which is due tomorrow...

The std response has been tripped out:

- I did it myself

- Only did it once or twice

- Felt pressured

He's been asked to resign from his position from the Australian Olympic Committee:

"Members of our London Olympic Team who elected Stuart to the athletes' commission are entitled to be angry knowing they had supported an athlete who had cheated," AOC president John Coates said in a statement."

I do find it funny that the std answer of 'everyone was doing it so I had to make it a level playing field' gets trotted out and followed by 'only once or twice, festina affair came along, didn't go back to it'. When is someone (apart from Lance and TH) going to have the balls to stand up and say 'Yup. sorry I was streaming EPO from my eyeballs for most of the time and that's the truth'. If the pelaton was doing it for +/- 10 odd years there is no way you could survive, let alone win, by only doing it once or twice.

Edited by hellocolour