Double Century R6000 per team...your thoughts

Big Mac

So its that time of the year when entries open for the Double Century.

I just went on the coronationdc site now and noticed they have upped the entry fees again to a whopping R6000 per team. That's R500 per rider assuming you have a full compliment. It only gets more expensive per rider if you dont manage to fill the team.

I think it's getting pretty ridiculous when you think in 2007 it was R90 per person (WPPPA)

Your thoughts...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will still need to find your own accomodation...gets to expensive.

Hopefully the weather is better than last year...but I entered 94.7 so will go there instead.

My thoughts.

If it is to expensive for your taste, then don't enter. Simple.

You have a choice, exercise that choice.

True...but you don't want it to end up becoming a corporate event.

What!?!? For a single day race? I was thinking of doing it. But now I'm reconsidering. Especially if one accounts for the the trip from Gauteng to Swellendam and accomadation.

Edited by Gunzo

True...but you don't want it to end up becoming a corporate event.

Don't mean to be sound offensive, but so what if it does become a corporate event ?

I struggle to get my mind round the idea that there is an ownership of an event by the masses as opposed to the organisers. If they can up the prices and people are still willing to enter, then best of luck to them. Hard luck to me if in that I cannot afford it.

It is a public road (the N2 might be tricky). Will call up my mate, and ask him if he wants to ride it some other time at a 3rd of the price.

On pure cost vs what ever, if you have a full team and it's a goal then it's acceptable. It's the std way at the moment get into a fee structure and up it significacntly each year. That only becomes an issue if the organisers aren't improving the event for the riders and it's only about profit and garnering corporate sponsorship.

I fancied doing it this year just to check it off but to be honest @ R6K I'm not really bothered, it's just another race in the season to me and I'll keep focus on other events that I've always used as my person goals.

I know there are a lot of people who hold it up as a bench mark and it'll get the full quota I'm sure.

very steep. Just ride the One Tonner rather and get 160 km ride for a lot less money. If you take into account the logistics costs etc you have to ask if this really worth it.

But the again, it may be on the bucket list for some and the costs are just fine

R6k for a team of 12 ppl max. So if a full team, it equates to R500 per person.

This is a team event. Although team time is taken on the 6th rider across the finish line.

Edited by shade

Supply and demand ...

+1 that it's steep, but guess what, probably fully subscribed within a week.