Sid vs Lefty

Storm 78

Would just like to know your opinion regarding the 2.The weight limits, travel etc. Might consider one. Im just over 100kg and do mostly the Tygerberg, Botelary and Jonkershoek trails.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

servicing of lefty is a bitch as service intervals are not only shorter but fewer people around that are able to do it.

Had Sid on my previous bike and it was one of the plushest forks i have ever ridden.

I owned both at the same time. Sold the SID, still have the lefty (carbon). Both 26"

Lefty: + small bump compliance, stiffness, full lockout, i.e. zero movement, light; - tend to nose dive, require reset of bearings regularly (this is very easy and quick), require lubrication fairly regular (still easy but not so quick, also messy), hands-free riding possible but feels awkward and not as easy.

SID: + infinite setup potential, reliable, very little maintenance required; - not much

The lefty is a more complicated shock but the better one imo. The SID is a fit and forget type (compared to other XC shocks).

Note: If you ride trails I would rather choose the TALAS or Revelation depending on budget.

servicing of lefty is a bitch as service intervals are not only shorter but fewer people around that are able to do it.

Had Sid on my previous bike and it was one of the plushest forks i have ever ridden.

I had zero problems with servicing the Lefty, the basics are VERY easy to do at home. The cost of service (in Cpt) also less than SID and/or Fox

Insofar as plushness - the SID is not even comparable against the Lefty. Nothing I have ever ridden can compare favourably on this account against the Lefty.

At 100kg and riding trails you are better off buying something else than an XC fork. If you want a Lefty a trail version is apparently available. The cost would probably be steep (more than a TALAS for sure).

Also owned both - Sid on a Giant, Lefty on a Dale (Carbon)

Have sold the Sid but the Lefty I converted to a 29er and still going strong.

Lefty`s are more maintenance intensive but the ride is worth it.

As per the previous post, bearing resets - easy, lubing - easy.

Omnico have a Lefty service centre so any bike shop not equiped or not having the skills to work on a Lefty can just send it there.

I owned both at the same time. Sold the SID, still have the lefty (carbon). Both 26"

Lefty: + small bump compliance, stiffness, full lockout, i.e. zero movement, light; - tend to nose dive, require reset of bearings regularly (this is very easy and quick), require lubrication fairly regular (still easy but not so quick, also messy), hands-free riding possible but feels awkward and not as easy.

SID: + infinite setup potential, reliable, very little maintenance required; - not much

The lefty is a more complicated shock but the better one imo. The SID is a fit and forget type (compared to other XC shocks).

Note: If you ride trails I would rather choose the TALAS or Revelation depending on budget.

2013 Lefty's reset bearings automatically and also feature a fully sealed mechanism, so no more "intermediate" DIY servicing required.

And the Moto Style fender looks the business!!

Once you go Lefty you will never go back!

Leftys don't have any service issues, the only problems are owners not maintaining them...?

(Keeping them clean...it's simple, and you don't need to take the fork apart)

Leftys only got a bad rapp after a couple of Idiots jetwashed theirs everyday in the EPIC without lubing them, and that killed them...

Agreed!! Once you go Left, you will never look Right...!!! :thumbup:

So. How does it handle on the trail. Does it require a different riding style than a fork? I do jump the odd humps in the trail but not doing the greg minnaar

I had a lefty on a 29er. An awesome fork and far better than the equivalent standard 32mm stanchioned fox/rockshox.

From my experience, the lefty tracked far better in corners and the lockout was a proper lockout.

SID is nice in that it is very easy to modify to be 80, 100 or 120mm . Just add/remove the spacers inside. Not sure if current models have this ability but my 2012 SID is like this.

Have never owned or ridden a lefty, but a SID, I found was a pain in the ring to get dialed in, I'll own a lefty shod bike one day.