Sid vs Lefty

Storm 78

Have never owned or ridden a lefty, but a SID, I found was a pain in the ring to get dialed in, I'll own a lefty shod bike one day.

Yeah the older dual air ones because of the negative air but the new ones are solo air so much easier to set up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

servicing of lefty is a bitch as service intervals are not only shorter but fewer people around that are able to do it.

Had Sid on my previous bike and it was one of the plushest forks i have ever ridden.

So that you know, with Lefty's new 2013 design the bearings reset themselves when the fork bottoms out plus service intervals are only every 200hrs! But yes, pre 2013 service intervals were every 50hrs.

I've never ridden a Lefty but have only heard great things. I've got the 2012 SID which I love.

There is a heck of a lot of misunderstanding about Lefty.

Nose dive:

This is a set up issue. What do you weigh? what size frame are you riding and did you buy the bike complete or was it custom assembled for you.

Issue with nose dive is often too little compression damping for the rider weight. Lefty is a competition fork and is shimmed for riders of low BMI. The newer solo air Lefty's are better in this respect since there is more tuning capability in them that does not required a Cannondale certified technician to solve. The nose can be cured by re shimming the compression stack, you will need a shim stack layout for whatever weight range you fall into. I might be able to help ....

Regular Maintenance

All any Lefty requires from time to time is a squirt of Finishline wet lube or other mineral or synthetic oil (DO NOT USE A WAX LUBE!!!) with some tackiness, even engine oil will do. Lift the lower boot and wet the needle bearing runners with oil. Pull the bot down and reattach the zip tie but its not really necessary unless the boot is old or you ride in really wet conditions regularly.

Oil replacement is only needed every 80hrs but recommended every 40hrs. This is very dependent on your riding style and suspension set up.

Fox RLC and TT Terralogic Lefty's use a larger quantity of oil and their oil replacement can be shifted out to 120hrs BUT if the terralogic feels sticky then its time to change the oil. If this occurs soon after a service then the mechanic did not flush the terralogic unit out correctly and there was still dirt in there. Dirt in this unit in a Lefty is very rare since it is a completely sealed unit and IT IS NOT AN OPEN BATH TYPE LIKE THE FOX TERRALOGIC FORKS.

Corroded beraring runners is a result of water getting in when there is insufficient lube present under the boot. In a properly lubed Lefty the water will simply wash off and drain out the bottom of the boot when the fork compresses. Many people make the mistake of tightening the lower boot to much and the boot does not vent. BAD, VERY BAD.

Other than that there are not real issues that are not user induced. DLR Lefty's are finicky to get right I admit but I can help you with these. Besides a rider not being properly matched to the suspensions shimming the only other issue I have observed with these is that when abused the top compression shim fractures / splits. Then the compression feels too light no matter what.

I've ridden nothing but Lefty's for 11yrs and won't go back simply because they are lighter, stiffer and simply better functioning front suspension. through multi day stage races, single day marathon's and regular riding, my Lefty's have delivered superb performance I have had zero issues.

I did have a Sid brain fork. I did love this fork. It was really a great fork. Then I went and bought myself a bike with a lefty.

I absolutely love it. It is so plush I can't describe it. It's a 2013 model so servicing is every 200hrs and bearing reset is a breeze.

I will never ever ride another front suspension in my life. Come hell rain or high water.

Only down side is when it comes to wheels. You can't just buy a wheelset. You need the lefty hub.

If you stay mainstream wheels are not a problem. But since I prefer hand built wheels I don't find it a problem. The SHimano WH-M975LEFTY wheels I have have been exceptionally reliable. I'l wait till Cannondale does the Scalpel in 650b before changing out my Scalpel 1Carbon.

I have owned the Sid. Demo'd a Cannondale Hardtail and Dual with Lefty Shocls. I found the ride amazing. And, the lockout is lockout like in 100% lockout.

But the Lefty looks weird :( . They scare me :excl:. A Left-Righty just looks safer to me.

Its cool during a race - either you frighten the opposition out the way or the person is so busy trying to figure out the look of the Lefty - next minute you have passed him.

Its cool during a race - either you frighten the opposition out the way or the person is so busy trying to figure out the look of the Lefty - next minute you have passed him.

But the Lefty supports the Sharks, so it`s the SID for the WIN! :clap:

But the Lefty supports the Sharks, so it`s the SID for the WIN! :clap:

What can I say - my Lefty is black and white - just like the Sharks - dynamite!! :)

Edited by nickc

Lefty`s are more maintenance intensive but the ride is worth it.

As per the previous post, bearing resets - easy, lubing - easy.

Not any more, the 2013 hybrid has no issues with maintenance.

So. How does it handle on the trail. Does it require a different riding style than a fork? I do jump the odd humps in the trail but not doing the greg minnaar

Come ride mine, same frame as you have?, but I've fitted the best fork money can buy.

post-35786-0-03125900-1374827397_thumb.jpg

Not any more, the 2013 hybrid has no issues with maintenance.

Come ride mine, same frame as you have?, but I've fitted the best fork money can buy.

That looks hot !!