Behan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Morph said:

198545180_485778415982747_5943269062736262296_n.jpg.c0fa30600fb451e613cb12454cd5b3af.jpg

Is that a golf or a caddy? I had a 1974 gls/gts I restored to almost original. I changed out the rear lights and bumbers and kept citi golf hub cabs on it. 

Last year I almost bought one of those kombi's then a few months later saw the square version as well was tempted. 

2 minutes ago, Morph said:

Its a citi golf not  caddy. you can see by the rear passenger windows and tailgate window. I've always had a soft spot for a mk1 golf.

Damn, I need to turn my monitors brightness up. I didnt even notice that, but the grill on that screams mk1. Yeah, I love the mk1, a buddy of mine had a 2 door. Very hard to find a decent one these days.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, Eddy Gordo said:

Is that a golf or a caddy? I had a 1974 gls/gts I restored to almost original. I changed out the rear lights and bumbers and kept citi golf hub cabs on it. 

Last year I almost bought one of those kombi's then a few months later saw the square version as well was tempted. 

I had a caddy, man I miss that thing. I kept it for a while after I bought my navara but it just stood so got rid of it. I would like to get another one someday. Mine was heavily modded and went like a bat out of hell, well so I thought.

My toppie used to have one of those old kombis, he had the double cab version. He had modified the back seats so that it could turn into bunk beds. He sold it to his cousin who put a Porsche engine in and spent big money on it. Not even sure he still has it. My Dad never regretted selling it but missed it so bought himself a new caravelle 2 years back as his retirement present.

does anyone here have information or know the history about the golf mk1 gt series that came out around the early mid 80s, like the gt, gts and more specifically the gtc convertible, i cant find anything online.

What info are you looking for. I am very rusty as I havent owned another golf since then many many years ago. 

8 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

What info are you looking for. I am very rusty as I havent owned another golf since then many many years ago. 

any info on the gtc, was this really a factory made convertible, why would VW sa make a convertible like this which is very different to the normal mk1 convertible found in sa and around the world, how many were made, as there is a small plaque in the engine bay saying 'sa design 83/0429' i heard this is reference to the numbers produced but im not sure? what was the price? which engine did it come out with

As far as I know the GT, GTC, GTS are original to South Africa. I might be mistaken. Thats as far as my knowledge goes on the history. My Mk1 was a GTc/s or Gls. It was a 1500 engine. So also a bit different to the std 1400 and 1600's. Parts were a nightmare to find as well.

Your plaque 83/0429 - I believe 429 would have been made and you have the 83 one off the line

thanks for the help, its interesting as i understand SA didnt get the 2 door gti, thats why the 2 door gt was sold. then VW for some reason decided to make a convertible version of this car which completely unique to SA, compared to the normal mk1 convertible it has a different B pillar design, different roof and most unique of all big lights at the back instead of the small mk1 lights found on all mk1 convertibles. the B pillar has a badge that says GTC by ronde which iv been told is the factory/shop that did the conversion for VW but i cannot find any info to confirm this