Garmin 910 xt Tri Vs. Bryton Cardio 60R

koegies

Hey Guys and Gals

I am stuck in a hard place to make a decision...

I swim open water and pool, mountain bike and run.

I want to make a purchasing decision between the

Garmin 910 XT Triathlon bundle ( R 5,250)

Details here

and

Bryton Cardio 60R (R 4,400)

Details here

I have seen a couple people commenting on the suport of either company in the forums , but nothing from actual users of these devices, specificaly the Bryton.

I am leaning towards the Garmin, but in the garmin forums there are some serious issues, hopefully resolved with latest products.

The Bryton in unknown to me and dont know if the low price indicate inferior quality or functionality ?

I am open for any other suggesitons ( Suunto, Polar etc), I just havent seen anything close to these two devices.

I do want a device with a build in GPS not sepreate, does candence, HRM, decent battery life etc....

File system or export functionality an acceptable format to interact with programs like Strava, sport tracker, Discovery Vitality etc.

thanks

great forum !

I have had a Polar RCX5 and a Garmin 910. The Garmin is a brilliant watch and haven't had any issues. I suggest have a look at www.dcrainmaker.com before you make a call, excellent reviews.

Yes goto the DCRainmaker site for all the reviews. If I had the cash I would do the 910XT. I currently have a 310XT and its a brilliant watch. As for the Bryton I cant say much.

Hi there

I have had the pleasure of owning a Polar, a Garmin , Suunto and a Timex. Noted the Polar wasn't a GPS but the others were. I have two comments to make here:

1) My Garmin Edge bike computer's buttons recently stopped working, so I called Garmin SA and they said they couldn't fix it, but would trade it in on the new 910xt for around R2000 or a Edge 500 for R1000 No questions asked and they didn't need a slip or even the HR strap and charger. I took the 910XT deal as that kind of after sales service is uncommon and to me it was a great deal for a GPS / HR watch that prices at R5250.00.

2) The downloading is simple and easy and the Garmin site and software is brilliant. Definately better then the others that I have used by a long way.

The Bryton might be just as good, but my suggestion is to not take the risk for the extra R850

I have the bryton 35 and have had some problem so I dont have full confidence in the brand.

DCrainmaker is extensive - there is also the new Suunto AmbitS2 to throw into the mix

When I have the cash it will be the 910xt for me.

I think most of the issues have been resolved apart from the instant pace issue while running but there are tips on how to get around that.

I recently had to make the same decision.. it was between the 910xt vs Ambit 2s for me.

Bottom line was pretty much same watch, just personal preference.

I went for Ambit 2s because got one on the hub for great price (new/guy won it in competition)

Very happy with it and especially the swim function is very cool!!!!

Here's the review

http://www.dcrainmak...it2-review.html

Put the suunto in the mix ;)

Edited by Milkworx

Ive been told the apps for the new S2 are incredible - a very useful power app.

Ive been told the apps for the new S2 are incredible - a very useful power app.

Yip and very easy to install/use

And watch also looks good, can wear it for day to day use...

I have the Garmin. If it got lost today I would not even consider another option and just replace it immediately

Oh My gosh !

I am astounded by the prompt and factual responses , Thanks a lot guys.

@iron Midge ,@ Seeker 911 Excellent site dcrainmaker, I have gone thourhg a good couple of his reviews ! defenitely a bookmark from now on.

I recently had to make the same decision.. it was between the 910xt vs Ambit 2s for me.

Bottom line was pretty much same watch, just personal preference.

I went for Ambit 2s because got one on the hub for great price (new/guy won it in competition)

Very happy with it and especially the swim function is very cool!!!!

Here's the review

http://www.dcrainmak...it2-review.html

Put the suunto in the mix ;)

Thanks for your input , I am a keen swimmer and curious about the swim functionality you use on the Suunto ??

I have had a Polar RCX5 and a Garmin 910. The Garmin is a brilliant watch and haven't had any issues. I suggest have a look at www.dcrainmaker.com before you make a call, excellent reviews.

Excellent site, thanks for the referral !!!

Yes goto the DCRainmaker site for all the reviews. If I had the cash I would do the 910XT. I currently have a 310XT and its a brilliant watch. As for the Bryton I cant say much.

I was wondering wheter the 310XT guys would upgrade or be content. also thanks for the DCrainmaker site , it is awesome !

Thanks for your input , I am a keen swimmer and curious about the swim functionality you use on the Suunto ??

Swim functionality is same as 910 (as far as I understand)

Laps : The watch has an accelerometer, so it counts your stokes/laps and gives you some excellent feedback once downloaded to computer. (stokers per 100m etc)

I use it mostly to check my speed while swimming (gives you speed real-time per 100m or in km/h) and distance (so you don't have to count laps

Also pics up your different strokes (if you change from crawl to breaststroke)

Open water : uses accelerometer and gps to give you distance speed etc. Can also see the track you swam etc. Very cool!!!!

And I found it very accurate in laps and open water!!

Check the review for pics and he explained it better

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/suunto-ambit2-review.html