Multivitamins - Yes or No

So since I have started this pretty addictive thing called mtb, I've noticed some changes... Like if I have more than 2 beers, I can feel it (slight headache) the next morning, which never happened before.. My wife says its because I'm getting fitter, As I understand when you get fitter you are more prone to sickness, I'm generally not a very sick person, but I would like to know if anyone advises taking a multivitamin. The doctor says there is no real benefits, if you are eating relatively healthy. He did mention its advisable to take omega 3 if you have heart problems, and vitamin D and zinc for woman over 40 with menopause, otherwise its people getting rich off your money..

What does everyone feel? Is it worthwhile?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat and drink healthy. Don't see any real benefit in using multi-vitamins.

Vitamins and suplements are all endordsed by their suppliers. So most of the information circulating around is marketing, not medical/nutritional facts. Thats just my conspiracy theory.

I do however think that Vit-C helps fighting flu and any "under the weather" symptoms. :D

Yeah, agree with the conspiracy theory..

I also use Vit-C if I'm not feeling so great, I do believe it does help boost immune system against all the viruses out there.

Wondering if you do take a multivitamin and your body becomes dependent on it and doesn't produce those things naturally.

I think that in the current environment that we live in, you should supplement Omega 3 and Vitamin D. Good heart or Bad heart, we do not eat enough food containing Omega 3 fats. The current western diet (Which we closely follow in my opinion) is around 10:1 Omega 6 vs Omega 3. So take Omega 3 for overall heart health.

Vitamin D because most of us sit indoors most of the day and getting even a small amount of sun light is difficult. The only food you can eat (I think this is the only food), that contains Vitamin D is Mushrooms.

Guest Latent Blue

Its a good way to make your pee more expensive. :whistling:

You my friend have it right!

Guest Latent Blue

I eat and drink healthy. Don't see any real benefit in using multi-vitamins.

Vitamins and suplements are all endordsed by their suppliers. So most of the information circulating around is marketing, not medical/nutritional facts. Thats just my conspiracy theory.

I do however think that Vit-C helps fighting flu and any "under the weather" symptoms. :D

its because when you are ill your metabolism has a higher demand ... :thumbup:

Edited by Latent Blue

Some people do need to take these pills and stuff . Some of us are very lucky and never gets ill despite eating just McDonalds and drinking lotsa rum , and the only pill I drink would be a Rennie the next morning . My partner eats pumpkin pips and drinks hands full of vitamins and gets ill when a mozzie farts in the room .

Guest Latent Blue

As I understand when you get fitter you are more prone to sickness,

vitamin D

Woh... excercise greatly increases your immune function and you are far less prone to illness.

On Vit D: it is produced by the skin in response to sunlight...

You need only 30min of indirect sunlight per day to get your daily VitD requirements...

Daily dose of Berocca Booster, ViralChoice and Omega 3 does the trick. Don't forget that a recovery drink after a training session also gets the body resistance back quicker.

I aspire to eat healthily.

I take a few vitamins and minerals every few days just to ensure I'm getting what I need.

For recovery - lots of chocolate milk, baby yeah.

L glutamine and Branch Chain Amino Acids.

Edited by ' Dale

I think it depends whether you are lacking anything in your diet or your body doesn't absorb vitamins well.

For example, someone who is lactose intolerant will struggle to get enough calcium.

In my case, my body doesn't absorb iron well so I am permanently on Iron tablets. I can feel the different when I take them.

Vitamin B to help with the extra effort required. If I miss mine in the am I feel a bit flat in the afternoon.

Woh... excercise greatly increases your immune function and you are far less prone to illness.

On Vit D: it is produced by the skin in response to sunlight...

You need only 30min of indirect sunlight per day to get your daily VitD requirements...

So 3 hours on the trails on a sunny sunday, I should be ok :D

I drink vitamin pills because it makes my urine look radioactive!

Honestly, I have never been someone to use vitamin pills or any supplements. Decided to give it a try a month back and I can honestly say I don't feel any real benefits..... When my bottles done I wont be buying any in a hurry.

I aspire to eat healthily.

I take a few vitamins and minerals every few days just to ensure I'm getting what I need.

For recovery - lots of chocolate milk, baby yeah.

Do you buy the low fat chocolate milk or the normal Super M? Those low fat ones seemed stupidly expensive