Meerendal mtb race

Johny Bravo

I can't say any of the organisation was bad. It was quite confusing with runners & cyclists coming from both sides on their finishes. A friend of mine said she cried on the 28km :huh: saying it was gruelling and someone else said a lot of people had to get off and walk on some of the major rocky downhills.

Firstly, it was their first race, so I was not too miffed about the organisation. Yes it was not great, but it is a new event and can only get better. The 28km race was tough, and tecnical, it killed us, I would rather do the burger 42km race twice before doing this 28km. Relentless climbs and downhills that most people got off their bikes to push over the rocks. I suffered, but I have a sense of achievement. However I wont be back next year, the trails are great and the views awsome, but it is not made for racing. I had to pull off about 50 times to let faster guys pass and got stuck behind slow traffic endlessly. I will ride it again with a group of friends with no pressure from behind or obstructions upfront. The trail run and mtb finishing about the same time was a super *** idea. At least they had beer, wine and incredible food at the farmers marker afterwards which made up for the climbs, and the waterpoints were really well stocked with goodies.

i

Hey Schalk. I have done many races and even if it was their first race they really messed up. The Marshalls didn't even know where to direct us to. The race was 6kms shorter. On a 28 km race that is a lot. Is was super fast at the front. I came in 6th at 1 hour 15. The actual race for me was superb. The only reason I won't be be back is because it was so poorly organized. They should have though about it and had a plan. What they did was collect our money and hope for the best. That's how companies close down. Poor planning. As you can see I am not happy with them. And as it is clear I am not alone. Glad you enjoyed the beers after. Sorry I didn't join you. Hope to meet you at a race soon though. Greg.

Geez, well done with that time, I was nowhere, my legs ran away after about 16km. But yes, the organising was poor, I agree.

Wow what bad organization. Terrible in every way. I wish I had gone to Robertson. Really bad. If I thought sending the organizers a mail would do anything I would. But honestly I just don't think they would give a damn.

So, the event is on par with their wine then.................

Horrible race...

The worst for me was that they just posted the profile from the 2012 Epic Prologue (or so I assume), and didn't even bother to mention to us that they'll be cutting out the last climb (about 6km and 250m ascent).

Thinking we still had a climb to finish off, I kept some energy sitting on the wheel of the two guys infront of me up the (now last) climb to the top of contermans, and then when we sprinted down the road to meerendal, I saw everyone stopped and was very confused. Not to mention a car turned infront of me while the 3 of us were sprinting down the road and I had to slow down completely...

R170 for that event is a joke. The trails were awesome, but I live here and can go do it when ever I want.

Horrible race...

The worst for me was that they just posted the profile from the 2012 Epic Prologue (or so I assume), and didn't even bother to mention to us that they'll be cutting out the last climb (about 6km and 250m ascent).

Thinking we still had a climb to finish off, I kept some energy sitting on the wheel of the two guys infront of me up the (now last) climb to the top of contermans, and then when we sprinted down the road to meerendal, I saw everyone stopped and was very confused. Not to mention a car turned infront of me while the 3 of us were sprinting down the road and I had to slow down completely...

R170 for that event is a joke. The trails were awesome, but I live here and can go do it when ever I want.

I wont lie, I was so glad they left out the last climb. But yes, a group of us were standing at the top of the hill, after climbing over yet another closed gate, whether or not there was still 6km left. As we could all see the farm and finish line from the top. They all thought we had another climb left, I gunned it down the mountain, luckily there were no more climbs for the day. Thank fook. See you guys next weekend for the PPA event at Misvertand dam.

Wasnt there, please explain what happened at the "False start", did you ride off & got called back or what?

I enjoyed the route, single track was great, but some of the climbs were brutal. Ended up climbing 705m in 20km.

Didn't mind the fences, added so spice to the race. A lesson or two to learn on the organising side, but I'm sure they will get it right next time.

You can't compare Die Burger 30km to any of the trails in the Durbanville area which is known for its leg-breaking climbs. Die Burger 30km is a flat gravel trail...

Come to meerendal at 7. I am going to enter on the day. R230 for entry for entry and free shirt. Steep I know.

R230 :whistling: