Fox float R service

2teeth

Hi all

This morning while loading my wife's bike (Ellsworth with Fox Float R)I noticed the dust seal on the shock was badly cracked. So bad that the seal was coming out at a certain place. I checked the stanction and it seems fine but the seal is over. So obviously it needs replacing.

Here is my problem.

My friend sent his shock in for a service a while ago and long story short, it cost him about 3 grand. He had a scratch on the stanction which he was told could be sanded out but ended up being replaced and then the cost for labour, parts and postage ( still can't believe nobody can service a rear shock in Pretoria and it has to go to Cape Town) and 2 weeks of no riding.

So it got me thinking about servicing it myself. Google machine. So I found a few videos on how to do it. Doesn't seem all that difficult. Has anyone done this? And if so where can I buy the kit?

I am not trying to sound like a miser but honestly if I can do it myself it does save me money and time.

Yellow Saddle in Northcliff. A damper rebuild on a float is a pig if you don't have all the right stuff, and Johan will tell you on the spot if it's going to be expensive (well, more so than a shock service normally is...)

JB, your phone's ringing...

A year back I had my front shock (Rock Shox) and rear shock (Fox Float) serviced by Tool Up Bike Shop at the Grey Owl Shopping Centre at Midstream (very close to the SA Mint off ramp of the N1), I dropped the bike off again yesterday for an annual service of them both, they really seem to know what they're doing and I'd suggest call them for advice : 012 661 1661 (ruan@tool-upcycles.co.za)

The air sleeve service is straight forward on the Fox Float. Solomon's has the seal and wiper kit for around R250-00. Remember to let the air out, check out You Tube and keep it clean. Add about R100-00 more for a technican to do it for you. As Droo said, if the damper is not working, or if oil leaks from the controls, it will need some time in ICU. This will set you back about R1000-00 for labour and seals and includes the air sleeve service.

Very easy to do a air sleave service. You can order a seal kit from buycycle for I think R200. Many videos on youtube available to help you out.

Cool, it is the air sleeve. There isn't anything else wrong. There is no oil leaking from anything.

I know my depth in DIY. I searched on pinkbike and it looks straight forward. Just wondering if anyone has done it.